PDA

View Full Version : Westboro Baptist Church Hates Everyone

Pages : [1] 2

Autumn
08-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Ugh. I became ill this morning after reading this snippet in the paper:

Away from the vigil, Great Bend police arrested a man who broke out a window of a vehicle belonging to protesters from the Fred Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Police Chief Dean Akings said.

What were they protesting this time, you ask? The vigil of a 14-year-old murdered girl (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20015030-504083.html). Because a vigil for a murdered girl is soooo faggy and makes God so mad. Seriously, this girls' murder has been on everyone's minds, and I never thought for one second that anyone would even begin to think about thinking about protesting a vigil for her.

Any mention of this protest has apparently been destroyed by someone. I want to believe WBC realized they were being completely assholeish, but you know that isn't the case. You can still see mention of it in searches, but the cached version is updated and there is no mention of it on their site. The flier on their website is gone, too. In fact, a lot of the mentions of the protest are strangely absent and/or deleted, which I find crazy. I suppose it's good that people ignore them. Here's what I found:

Earlier in the evening, on the north end of the square, protesters from Fred Phelps’ Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka picketed the vigil service. With a strong law enforcement presence on hand, they were met by a vocal group of area residents who opposed their being in Great Bend.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:-NxUcsVh2qwJ:www.gbtribune.com/news.php+westboro+baptist+church+alicia+debolt&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

From the Great Bend Tribune Facebook Page:

Fred Phelp's Westboro Baptist Church is planning to picket the prayer vigil scheduled for Sunday as per their website. "WBC to picket a respectful distance from the prayer vigil scheduled at Jack Kilby Square for 14-year-old Alicia DeBolt, whose body was found burned after her parents let her go out with a 19-year-old."

Apparently she was "cut-off by an angry God", according to Google searches. And we're supposed to be thankful for that! I can't find their entire actual post, nor can I find any version of the flier that was distributed. UGH, I'M SO ANGRY ABOUT THIS.

So, just in case you forgot during the move from @, they are still assholes.

Lágnætti
08-30-2010, 05:28 PM
I keep hoping that one day one of their minivans will take a nasty spill in heavy traffic and incinerate the lot of them once and for all.

Lathan
08-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Here's a fellow messing with WBC (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/24/westboro-church-protest-a_n_692827.html) at one of their many protests...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAeJC9_UWOQ

The loathsome Westboro Baptist Church (WBC), best known for "protesting" the funerals of U.S. soldiers with signs saying "God hates fags" and "God hates America," staged another "protest" on August 13th, this time of the Jewish Federation. Presumably, the Federation's sin is being Jewish.

However, the WBC members got a whole lot more than they bargained for when Brick Stone showed up and started asking them lots of confusing questions about Lady Gaga, Hell, Jews and double anal sex, among other topics.

The church members were sufficiently disturbed by Stone's interviewing style that they decided to end their "protest" early.

Some sample questions:

--If you hate gays, why are you holding the sign that way?

--If a woman dressed as a man has sex with a guy with a vagina, can they still get into heaven? Or, are they already there?

Cunter Fartlett
08-30-2010, 07:05 PM
I keep hoping that one day one of their minivans will take a nasty spill in heavy traffic and incinerate the lot of them once and for all.

I would also be for this, but sadly, they take their children with them. I wish I could kidnap their kiddos and give them hugs.

Corey Haim
08-31-2010, 01:31 AM
this still makes me laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWPdMt4qAz8

Barbarella
08-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Scum of the earth, they are.
Those poor kids born into that cult are brain washed from day one. :( I want to kidnap them too!

Robin Sparkles
08-31-2010, 07:42 PM
So why were they picketing her vigil? Because she dated a 19-year-old boy? Wow, WBC is really getting desperate for attention, it seems.

The Seaward
08-31-2010, 08:06 PM
lemme get this straight, they're angry because she dated a boy a few years older (still illegal, i know), but they have no problem with the fact that lot was given a pardon by jesus (some years before JC was even born) to bone his own daughters...

the bible is FULL of young ladies hittin' it with older men. i mean, for fuck sake... the virgin mary was a teenager when the oldest thing in the universe (THE LORD GAWD) impregnated her with his celestial semen.

liquid_running
08-31-2010, 08:24 PM
lemme get this straight, they're angry because she dated a boy a few years older (still illegal, i know), but they have no problem with the fact that lot was given a pardon by jesus (some years before JC was even born) to bone his own daughters...

the bible is FULL of young ladies hittin' it with older men. i mean, for fuck sake... the virgin mary was a teenager when the oldest thing in the universe (THE LORD GAWD) impregnated her with his celestial semen.

Oh, but we all know there are several passages in the Bible that condemn paedophilia. Like that time Moses told the Israelite men keep the little girls of Canaan alive for themselves - oh, wait...

Autumn
08-31-2010, 09:55 PM

They're angry because they are all closet homosexuals.

I'm amazed at the number of people (outside WBC!) who blame her mother for her death, because she knowingly let her go out with a 19-year-old and allowed (maybe?) her to get in a car with a 36-year-old. I mean, it might not be a very wise decision, but Great Bend is a small town and people are more trusting AND HER MOTHER DIDN'T KILL HER. Etc.

fox in socks
08-31-2010, 10:17 PM
what is it that theyre "protesting" anyway? should there not be funerals for these devilish folk? or is this an education mission advising us hell is real and sinners are going there? i am often unsure of their point. i often believe its because they dont have one.

Cunter Fartlett
08-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Their "point" is is that these bad things happen because the good 'ol US of A and it's citizens condone and support homosexuality and an angry god is trying to show them his wrath.

So the horrible, brutal death of this girl is a direct effect of the acceptance of homosexuality.

fox in socks
08-31-2010, 10:58 PM
oh. well of course. seems logical.

theyre awful.............

liquid_running
08-31-2010, 11:03 PM
what is it that theyre "protesting" anyway? should there not be funerals for these devilish folk? or is this an education mission advising us hell is real and sinners are going there? i am often unsure of their point. i often believe its because they dont have one.

I think their point is to gather as much publicity for themselves as possible. Protesting funerals is their way of letting people know how much better they are than everyone else. They are better than this girl because she made a mistake, and obviously none of them ever did that when they were 14. They are better than Matthew Shepherd, because they either A) happened to be born with the "right" sexuality or B) don't have the guts to come out. They are better than Natasha Richardson because she supported AIDS research. They are better than soldiers who were killed in the line of duty, because picketing funerals and posting shit on websites is so much braver and more honourable.

Barbarella
09-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Veteran Quran-burners at Westboro Baptist Church pissed off Pastor Jones is getting all the publicity.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/09/09/100291/fred-phelps-daughter-westboro.html

"We did it a long time before this guy," Phelps-Roper said by telephone from a street corner in downtown Chicago, scene of the latest Westboro picket — against Jews this time, not gays.

SoulQuake
09-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Ahahaha. Wow. Fights over who has been a bigot the longest. You can't write stuff this good.

Cunter Fartlett
09-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Hahahahahahaha. That woman is amazing.

SoulQuake
09-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Finally, though, this is what WBC needs! The realization that virtually nobody is paying attention to them. That's got to sting.

Autumn
09-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I absolutely HATE that that bitch Shirley made front page of the paper yesterday. No one gives a fuck that she's annoyed, she's ALWAYS annoyed. Perhaps now everyone can be condemned to hell for annoying her.

Lathan
01-12-2011, 11:20 PM
WBC: We're attention whores! (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/12/westboro-baptist-church-arizona-funerals_n_808088.html)

Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church has decided to back down from their plans to picket the funeral of 9-year-old Christina Taylor Green, the young girl who was gunned down over the weekend in Tucson, Arizona, in a shooting that claimed the lives of 5 others. In return, they have been promised airtime by two radio stations.

Shirley Phelps-Roper, a spokeswoman for Westboro, told The Topeka Capital-Journal that KXXT-AM, a 50,000-watt station out of in Tolleson, Arizona, and Toronto-based CFNY-FM, 102.1 "The Edge," have both offered to host the church to talk about its views, on the condition that the congregation would reverse their decision to protest Green's funeral.

According to Phelps-Roper, however, Westboro still plans to go through with their demonstrations at the funeral service for slain U.S. District Judge John Roll, and at the original site of the rampage in Tucson.

Eyeroll.

pan
01-13-2011, 12:25 AM
I can't stand hearing her talk. It's like dog shit with a mouth.

Adam
01-13-2011, 02:00 AM
I heard a great story from my dad. They came to the hills of West Virginia to picket someone's funeral, and after getting a "visit" in the night from some local men, they got up in the morning and went home. LMAOX1,000,000,000

Mori
01-13-2011, 03:01 AM
ha! Probably afraid they'd be bum raped by a gap toothed, "The Hills Have Eyes" type of redneck.

tivoklr
01-13-2011, 03:34 AM
I heard a great story from my dad. They came to the hills of West Virginia to picket someone's funeral, and after getting a "visit" in the night from some local men, they got up in the morning and went home. LMAOX1,000,000,000

It is truly astonishing that these people are still walking the earth after the wide swath of humanity they've insisted on offending, many of which are 300# Harley riders and Veterans. I'm sure none of them wishes ill will on the WBC psychos, oh I mean, members...

Adam
01-13-2011, 03:38 AM
^ i know! Someone MUST be looking over them. Satan, perhaps?

Lágnætti
01-13-2011, 05:44 PM
The media shouldn't bargain with them. All that's going to do is encourage them to keep on doing it. Unless, of course, they have a delicious prank in waiting for them. Like, I dunno, a chair with a whoopee cushion followed by a two-second 'interview' with their mikes turned off.

JayPeaches
01-13-2011, 06:57 PM
The media shouldn't bargain with them.
I agree, though I think generally the media is well-intentioned when they do it. Westoboro came to my hometown to protest a funeral and a local radio DJ offered them airtime instead. He did it solely to keep them away from the funeral so that the family and friends could mourn without the distraction.

I don't know what the solution is. How do you convince every media outlet on the planet to collectively ignore Westoboro and not report on anything they say or do? To some extent, I feel like they're going to get press no matter what - so isn't it better for the media to give them the press they're going to get anyway, while keeping them away from protesting funerals (or whatever else they protest)?

Lathan
01-13-2011, 07:00 PM
I agree that keeping them away from the 9 year old's family is a good thing. I hope that the radio stations give them a seriously tough interview/grilling/dressing down or whatever (but I don't know what the "terms" of their deal are).

Corey Haim
01-13-2011, 07:07 PM

in west virignia, if it's that kind of "visit" then i'd leave too.

Lágnætti
01-13-2011, 07:25 PM
I think the only way to deal long-term with the likes of the WBC is either to wait until they all die in some mass suicide event or more realistically, to use their own tool - the law -against them at every possible opportunity. They're in this solely for the profit, right? So make picketing unprofitable by enforcing any existing law on the books that'll cut into their profit margins. If existing laws are of no use, introduce some that make interfering with funerals in this way an offence that'll incur big fines or jail time or keep them so far away that their protest are rendered toothless and media-unfriendly. They are clearly a cancer on society and as long as they make a living this way and continue to breed their own little soldiers for their cause, they'll continue to do it.

Any kind of hate speech law would go a long way in getting them to STFU and go home too. As would the mainstream media not acting as free publicity agent for a bunch of crazed bigots in lieu of reporting real news. I know some of the press has good intentions in trading air time for pickets, but they have to understand they've simply introduced more motive for them to keep threatening the most repulsive acts.

Honestly, I can't believe someone hasn't actually shot one or more of them buggers by now.

Pupate
01-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Probably because the only morons that would be likely to shoot up other people for their ideologies, regardless of how inane or inappropriate, are the ones that would support this group in the first place.

Lágnætti
01-13-2011, 10:45 PM
^True. Even so, provoking grief-stricken people the way they do, it's not hard to imagine someone snapping and attacking them.

Pupate
01-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'll admit I sometimes get a smile on my face when I see the part in that "The Most Hated Family in America" documentary where someone drives by a protest of theirs and throws a slushie at them, although it's too bad that it hits a kid instead of Shirley. It's sort of bizarre how good people like Gabrielle Giffords get shot through the head, but much more caustic and vitriolic people that comprise this sad excuse for a "church" don't get what they deserve.

Barbarella
02-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Anonymous hacks Westboro Baptist Church website during live confrontation (http://www.boingboing.net/2011/02/24/anonymous-hacks-west.html)

From The David Pakman Show: "A source from Anonymous confronts Shirley Phelps-Roper from the Westboro Baptist Church, calling the supposed letter sent to Westboro by Anonymous a hoax." While he is talking on the show, the Westboro Baptist Church website and other affiliated sites were hacked and replaced with Anonymous notices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZJwSjor4hM&feature=player_embedded

Lathan
02-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Wow. She's obnoxious.

(Obvious statement is obvious.)

Shady Pines, Ma
02-25-2011, 10:59 PM
One thing has successfully caused this "church" to abandon plans and not show up where they'd previously announced. In one town a group of business owners vowed to donate thousands for every hour that WB"C" picketed in their town to an AIDS chairty...made in WB"C"'s name. They didn't show.

SweetPea
02-25-2011, 11:30 PM
^Awesome.

double_psyche
02-25-2011, 11:31 PM
That's kind of awesome. Did the businesses make a donation anyway?

Blake
02-26-2011, 12:05 AM
They are going to be picketing my Lady Gaga show. I have never been around something like that before, should be interesting.

Steve SFM
03-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Westboro Wins Supreme Court Case (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/02/westboro-baptist-church-w_n_830209.html)

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that the First Amendment protects fundamentalist church members who mount anti-gay protests outside military funerals, despite the pain they cause grieving families.

The court voted 8-1 in favor of the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan. The decision upheld an appeals court ruling that threw out a $5 million judgment to the father of a dead Marine who sued church members after they picketed his son's funeral.

Chief Justice John Roberts wrote the opinion for the court. Justice Samuel Alito dissented.

Roberts said free speech rights in the First Amendment shield the funeral protesters, noting that they obeyed police directions and were 1,000 feet from the church.

"Speech is powerful. It can stir people to action, move them to tears of both joy and sorrow, and – as it did here – inflict great pain. On the facts before us, we cannot react to that pain by punishing the speaker," Roberts said. "As a nation we have chosen a different course – to protect even hurtful speech on public issues to ensure that we do not stifle public debate."

Fred Phelps and his gang of idiots can go fuck themselves. And I won't even start on how I feel about this Supreme Court.

This, however, is the correct decision.

EnjoyJoy
03-02-2011, 08:27 PM
There just has to be a line between free speech and picketing a funeral... but... where? :(

Steve SFM
03-02-2011, 11:21 PM
The court said that they had the right, but they didn't object to restricting that right by making them stay 1,000 feet away or whatever.

Plus, right-thinking people can still use their own free speech rights to fuck with them. :D

Jezebelle
03-03-2011, 02:12 AM
Apparently, Alito disagreed.

York, PA - U.S. Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito disagreed with the majority decision issued Wednesday in Albert Snyder's emotional distress suit against Westboro Baptist Church, its founder and members.

The one in the 8-1 decision affirming the church's right to vitriolic free speech, Alito wrote the lone dissenting opinion.

He said Albert Snyder is not and was not a public figure when church members picketed the funeral of his son, fallen U.S. Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, on March 10, 2006.

"He is simply a parent whose son ... was killed in Iraq," Alito wrote. "Mr. Snyder wanted what is surely the right of any parent who experiences such an incalculable loss: to bury his son in peace.

"But ...members of the Westboro Baptist Church deprived him of that elementary right."

Alito held that the church, which according to the lawsuit has picketed more than 600 funerals in the past 20 years, specifically targeted the Marine's funeral and his family with their message that Lance Cpl. Snyder was killed because of the United States' tolerance of gays and lesbians.

Signs at Snyder's funeral included "Thank God for IEDs," "Thank God for Dead Soldiers," and "God Hates Fags."

Alito noted the church alerted local authorities and the media that its members would picket the funeral "to ensure that their protests will attract public attention."

Alito said the church's strategy works because the public expected church members would verbally assault the family and "because the media is irresistibly drawn to the sight of persons who are visibly in grief."

He said the church's announcement it would protest at the funeral "guaranteed (it) would be transformed into a raucous media event and began the wounding process."

Alito held that the church's actions are not constitutionally protected because it clearly and directly attacked the fallen Marine and his parents because Matthew Snyder was Catholic and a member of the military.

As to the majority's opinion that the church's protest was protected by the First Amendment because it took place in a public setting, Alito responded, "There is no reason why a public street in close proximity to the scene of a funeral should be regarded as a free-fire zone..."

He said language that would not be protected by the First Amendment cannot become protected simply because it is used in a historic, time-honored public setting that is intended to inspire "free and open debate." He characterized the church's "vicious verbal attacks" as making "no contributions to public debate."

"Allowing family members to have a few hours of peace without harassment does not undermine public debate," Alito said.

"In order to have a society in which public issues can be openly and vigorously debated, it is not necessary to allow the brutalization of innocent victims ...," Alito said.

I'm no lawyer, but I agree his statements. He's right - they didn't just protest - they advertised the protests! They sought out media and community attention to spread a message of hate.

I'm all for the First Amendment, but I don't think it was created so that people like Westboro could picket the funerals of innocent people. Just like I don't think the Second Amendment was written so that people could carry automatic weapons and sub machine guns.

Steve SFM
03-03-2011, 03:13 AM
No matter how offensive and hurtful words are, they aren't bullets.

Again, we're not talking about entirely unrestricted speech here. I think it's fine to constrain speech somewhat. Outlawing it altogether becomes really problematic, I think. Especially now. If a precedent were established where a kind of protesting was completely shut down, the Koch brothers or similar wingnut moneybags would spend lavishly to make sure that something like those pesky Wisconsin protests wouldn't bother them anymore.

cinny~lou
03-04-2011, 11:17 PM
I suppose bullying or harassment charges can't apply here because they aren't specifically targeting any one person during these protests, huh? It's just a handy place for them to set up camp because there will be an audience.

MTC
03-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Phelps's son describes alleged abuse

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/03/16/exp.jvm.nate.phelps.westboro.hln?hpt=C2

Steve SFM
03-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Why is a fucking drum solo playing under that interview?

Oh, and "God Hates Your Tears"? ;l

MTC
03-17-2011, 07:37 PM
No idea, but the question that didn't get asked was is the 'discipline' going on now? Is it a regular lesson in this cult?

Steve SFM
03-17-2011, 07:44 PM
From what I've heard, it is.

I honestly don't know why Fred Phelps isn't in jail. Not for the vile things he says, which are indeed protected speech, but for beating on his family.

Autumn
03-17-2011, 07:51 PM
I haven't watched that video above yet, but in that documentary "The Most Hated Family in America," which was recent, they pretty much admit to beating the children.

MTC
03-17-2011, 09:10 PM
I guess if no one complains, Child Protection lets it ride?

Cunter Fartlett
03-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Ugh, that anchor gives Nancy Grace some stiff competition in the most annoying woman on TV ever category. Also, she can't say "Fag" on air, but they can keep showing the word on those signs? Der.

beanstew
03-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Somewhat predictably WBC plan to picket Elizabeth Taylor's funeral ( http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/elizabeth-taylors-funeral-to-be-protested-by-god-hates-fags-church/uncategorized/2011/03/23/18222).

Elizabeth Taylor's funeral will be protested by God Hates Fags, the self-created moniker of the Westboro Baptist Church. Taylor, who passed away today at 79, was considered a gay icon and a beloved American, and therefore is especially appealing to the Westboro Church, fresh off its recent Supreme Court First Amendment victory.

Via her Twitter account, Margie Phelps, daughter of Pastor Fred Phelps, Westboro\u2019s leader, said, "Hello rebels! RIP Elizabeth Taylor is in hell as sure as you're reading this & getting mad as a wet hen. She should've obeyed God. Too late!," and "No RIP Elizabeth Taylor who spent her life in adultery and enabling proud fags. They cuss her in hell today. #Westboro will picket funeral!"

Hannah.
03-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Sometimes I fucking hate the First Amendment.

Steve SFM
03-24-2011, 02:38 AM
Shit, WBC is starting to sound desperate. "This is making you mad, huh? Huh? Come on! Be mad! PLEEEEEEEASE!" ;l

I dunno. Something tells me that this would have cracked Liz up. In any case, any counter-protests must be extra-fabulous. She deserves no less.

MTC
03-24-2011, 03:04 AM
Every one dressed as Maggie the Cat (MTC if you will) in that floaty white dress! Or Cleopatra!

beanstew
04-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Louis Theroux to revisit WBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12919646)

There are names I've been called in the course of making documentaries, but to be described as "one of the chief workers of iniquity in the whole history of man" takes some beating.

The man making the claim for me - which was somehow offensive and weirdly flattering at the same time - was Steve Drain, a member of the ultra-strict and very notorious Westboro Baptist Church. He went on to say I was on a par with Pontius Pilate.

I'd earned my special status by filming a documentary about his unique religious community in 2006. Entitled The Most Hated Family in America, it followed a three-week stay I made among the Kansas-based Phelps clan.

Under the guidance of their angry pastor, the Phelpses have arrived at the idea that the only Biblical practice for Christians in our age is to carry placards with unbelievably offensive anti-gay slogans (Fags in Hell, Fags Eat Poop, and so on) and turn up at high-profile funerals, especially those of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Normally I don't do follow-ups. But I'd made an exception in this case because of an e-mail I'd received from one of the fire-breathing young zealots I'd interviewed on my first trip, announcing she'd left the church. She cited our conversations as one of the influences.

She had now changed her life, found a boyfriend and had zero contact with anyone still inside the church, including her family. A little research revealed that several others I'd met on my first visit were also now apostates. This included Steve's own daughter, Lauren.

Octopussy
04-01-2011, 12:41 PM
"getting mad as a wet hen"

Bwahahahaha!! I can't even get offended by these people anymore, they're just too zany.

JAE
04-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Bwahahahaha!! I can't even get offended by these people anymore, they're just too zany.

I know, it's just so laughable at this stage. How long do we give it before they end up on Celebrity Apprentice and win over the publics' hearts with their wacky personalities?

Autumn
04-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Louis Theroux to revisit WBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12919646)

YAY!! We so excited!

bratboy
04-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Apparently they claim the reason for their behavior is to turn people away from christianity so that such people will go to hell.

Steve SFM
04-01-2011, 09:28 PM
"Fags Eat Poop"?

beanstew
04-03-2011, 08:16 PM
YAY!! We so excited!

The programme is on in the UK now. WBC are angering up my blood but Louis is being awesome. 'Theroux' is trending on twitter already.

Autumn
04-04-2011, 04:53 PM
I think it's incredible that he has the ability to deal with those people, and to go in there and get the story for us! Has a video hit the net yet, I wonder?

Lathan
04-04-2011, 05:07 PM
"Fags Eat Poop"?

I don't remember who it was specifically (WBS or not) but I do remember Howard Stern having a "Fags Eat Poop" proponent on his show once. His argument was basically that all fags eat poop, isn't that gross, ergo faggotry is wrong. Howard and friends mocked and derided him quite well, but he stuck to his poop-eating guns. It wasn't the only time I'd heard that argument either.

nathan zephyrus
04-04-2011, 05:12 PM
saw 5 mins of this last night - I'm obsessed with them, they make NO sense, especially the one who was going on about her Dutch 'friend' and how she was both sad and happy he's goin to hell. It's repeated tonight late so Ima try catch it proper...

JAE
04-04-2011, 06:12 PM
I can't even be angry at them any more. They're just the ultimate trolls.

Steve SFM
04-04-2011, 08:03 PM
I don't remember who it was specifically (WBS or not) but I do remember Howard Stern having a "Fags Eat Poop" proponent on his show once. His argument was basically that all fags eat poop, isn't that gross, ergo faggotry is wrong. Howard and friends mocked and derided him quite well, but he stuck to his poop-eating guns. It wasn't the only time I'd heard that argument either.

I've heard it too. Those people are saying, "People who gross me out should have their civil rights restricted. Jesus agrees with me, too." :rolleyes:

Autumn
04-04-2011, 08:49 PM
"Fags eat feces. That's a fact, hon."

That's what Shirley Phelps said to Louis Theroux in his first documentary!

menju56
04-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Saw the Louis Theroux documentary. I don't quite know what to say that hasn't already been said. Insanity.

The daughter that got away (or was thrown out), Lauren, seemed to have remarkable perspective, I thought.

Corey Haim
04-05-2011, 02:59 AM

actually, it's very scientific. VERY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1wwe9-be2Y

Steve SFM
04-05-2011, 04:50 AM
It raises an important question, though.

What IS Obama's position on eating da poo poo?

Lathan
04-05-2011, 11:43 AM
actually, it's very scientific. VERY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1wwe9-be2Y

I would like to punch that man in the neck.

I could show him some man/woman porn that would blow his mind (if he was actually sincere). He's like a homophobic snake oil salesman. Or the Music Man? (Is that what Shipoopi's about???)

Chalk
04-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Edit. CPO already posted a similar video....

Barbarella
04-05-2011, 01:38 PM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liyso3tH451qczpspo1_500.jpg

Octopussy
04-05-2011, 09:05 PM
^ he's probably in the sex offender registry for some state, and she looks like the mom from that incest episode of the X-Files.

Steve SFM
04-05-2011, 09:38 PM
[icon25]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTLgQMqT3Pg&feature=related

Blake
04-05-2011, 09:49 PM
^
That was just one episode? I've never seen the show but it looks like I might need to start watching it, looks pretty kick ass.

Steve SFM
04-05-2011, 11:45 PM
The first four seasons or so were mostly great. Most of the best episodes were so-called "mythology" episodes (related to an ongoing plot line about sinister US agents and extraterrestrials), but "Home" was one of the two best "standalone" episodes (the other was a lovely little tragicomedy called "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose"). "Home" is honestly one of the most depraved things I've ever seen, in a good way. ;l

But yeah. Netflix the first few seasons and you really can't go wrong.

Zippo
04-06-2011, 02:00 AM
I watched the documentary about Louis' return to the Church, and found one part particularly interesting. Did anyone else see the part where Louis was speaking to Shirley's daughters, and they were talking about the student film crew from Holland? The girls had kept up correspondence with these guys and exchanged gifts once they left after filming, and they said they were upset about the fact that the guys would not "repent" and were going to Hell. When the girls spoke about the film crew, they said they had tried to make a video to send to them and ended up crying during it, because they were friends with the guys and didn't want them to go to Hell. Louis responded to this by asking if the girls shouldn't in fact be glad about this, because one of the things the Phelps do is "rejoice in all of God's judgments" and believe that people who are not members of their church all deserve to be condemned.

At this point the girls started to get emotional, after which the oldest daughter intervened and started spouting the usual religious babble, which then brought the rest of the girls back to their default state of saying it was a good thing that the film crew were going to Hell. It was quite obvious that the girls had feelings for the people from this film crew and were trying to suppress them to please the older sister/adults of the church.

Another thing I found intriguing was the fact that some of the people who approached the Phelps and tried to counter them ended up getting very emotional and this just pleased the church members further. I admire people's courage and passion to approach the picketers and try to argue with them, but really it is futile. The adults are insane and the younger ones have been indoctrinated... these people cannot be reasoned with.

spyk_
04-06-2011, 09:21 AM
"You're getting very angry, I see you're shaking with rage. Why are you shaking?".

"Because I have MS."

garnite
04-06-2011, 01:15 PM
[note]

Ryan
04-06-2011, 02:24 PM
I just watched the entire thing on YouTube. I was kind of amazed that Shirley of all people seemed the most human at the end when she was talking about her kids leaving. I would have expected her to be the most guarded and vague about that line of questioning.

So what happens in the next few years if they don't end up in a pink cave in Jordan?

Tellurium
04-07-2011, 05:29 PM
I watched both documentaries and am hooked on these people. Where's the reality show!?

I kinda want them to picket my funeral... Hm. Must put that in my will.

How come the church believes that getting hit by a car is a judgement from God, but being punched in the face is not a judgement from God? I think if you're going to preach that God micro-manages human behaviour on that level, you need to go all the way with it. I might start my own church, actually. brb.

Autumn
04-08-2011, 02:04 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/16/westboro.nate.phelps/index.html?iref=obinsite

(CNN) -- An estranged son of anti-gay Kansas pastor Fred Phelps said Wednesday that the spiritual leader of Westboro Baptist Church hit his wife and beat his children with a mattock handle until they bled.

"I think what he does out there is evil," said Nathan "Nate" Phelps, during an appearance on HLN's "Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell."

Nate Phelps is the seventh of the Westboro Baptist minister's 13 children. The younger Phelps severed ties with his family on his 18th birthday and said he hasn't had contact with his father in three decades. Nate Phelps is currently writing a book about his family.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled earlier this month that Westboro's practice of picketing the funerals of fallen soldiers with offensive placards is constitutionally protected free speech. The picketing, which includes chants and placards stating "God Hates Fags" and "Thank God for Dead Soldiers," have enraged supporters of the U.S. military and the families and friends of slain soldiers.

Nate Phelps called his pastor father "one of the best reasons that America has been forced to get off the fence and address this issue (of gay rights)."

"But at the same time you can't ignore the fact that he's done a lot of damage," Phelps said. "He's hurt a lot of families, not only in the gay community, but the families of these soldiers."

The younger Phelps said his father also hurt his own family.

"He used his fists. He used his knees and he used ... the handle of a mattock," said Phelps, referring to a pick-like digging tool. "He used that in such a way that it split the skin on the back of the kid's legs so they bled."

"If they want to call that discipline, that's fine. But I call it abuse," Phelps said.

The son said Fred Phelps also hit his mother, but not with the handle of the mattock.

Phelps has also said his father abused prescription drugs when he was in law school. He didn't back down from the claim during the HLN interview.

Velez-Mitchell read a statement from Nate Phelps' sister, Shirley Phelps-Roper, denying the claim.

"Yikes. Hell no. His (Nate Phelps') imagination goes on and on," Roper wrote. "This lie should not have come out of his mouth when he decided to reject the word of God. Nothing he can say will change the fact that God hates (homosexuals) and their enablers and therefore God hates America and America is doomed."

Nate Phelps responded that his sister "just cynically lies about what happened."

Likewise, Phelps said his father manipulates facts and circumstances to reach false conclusions.

"My father can make any connection to anything that anyone has done or hasn't done in their life and point to that to say that that's evidence they're damned and going to hell," Phelps said. "He's convinced that homosexuality is the ultimate sin against God.

"So since the United States is taking steps to move in the direction of equality for gays in America, he says that has doomed America," Phelps said. "So anyone who is connected to America, so anyone who is supporting America in any sense is subject to the wrath of God."

When asked what he would say to his father if he could, Nate Phelps replied, "I've never had a relationship with my father. I wouldn't know what to say to him."

There was no immediate public response from Fred Phelps to his son's televised remarks.

Barbarella
04-09-2011, 12:48 AM
Awful.

Blake
04-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Can someone direct me to the link to watch it on Youtube?

*Just found it, never mind.

Barbarella
04-09-2011, 10:15 PM
link it, please! :)

Tellurium
04-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Here's the part 1's of both of them, the next parts should follow in the related videos menu. :)

http://youtu.be/XC89FmmmDXU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ticxD0GfewA

ETA: It's not exactly hard to believe that Mr. Phelps was/is abusive, given the glimpses we see of him getting so angry at basically nothing in the documentaries. I'd be quite interested in reading his son's book.

MTC
04-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Westboro visits the genteel state of Mississippi, and fails to disrupt a funeral. (http://thehayride.com/2011/04/westboro-baptist-church-goes-to-mississippi-and-loses/)

Okay maybe not so genteel, but I can put this on the mostly empty 'pro' side of the column for Mississippi.

Steve SFM
04-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Unfortunately, that's a really right-wing story, as evidenced by the insistence that Phelps is a "Democrat activist". That's a wingnut talking point used to disguise their own culpability in enabling homophobia.

Jezebelle
04-22-2011, 07:35 PM
^ Wow according to that link, Phelps ran for office as a Democrat?! That's so... strange! I wonder why?

MTC
04-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Yes Steve it is, but it still give me a giddy little thrill that they didn't get to protest.

Cunter Fartlett
04-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Unfortunately, that's a really right-wing story, as evidenced by the insistence that Phelps is a "Democrat activist". That's a wingnut talking point used to disguise their own culpability in enabling homophobia.

Quite a bit of a stretch to use the term "democratic activist" (pshaw) but I had no idea he ran on democratic platforms. News to me and it's quite shocking!

Barbarella
04-23-2011, 12:15 AM
They are coming to protest a local high school here next Friday morning, before they head to The Cape to protest the space shuttle launch. You bet your ass I will be there. Hoping to get some awesome photos.

Mori
04-23-2011, 12:48 AM
To think their whole lives is just hopping into a van, going across the country, and telling everyone they are going to hell. Makes me sitting in front of the computer wasting my life away not seem so pathetic.

Or maybe not.

Chalk
04-23-2011, 12:56 AM
^^No, theirs is way more pathetic.

Now, dare I ask why they are protesting the space shuttle launch?

Barbarella
04-23-2011, 01:27 AM
ORLANDO --

The Westboro Baptist Church, known for its controversial protests against homosexuality and military funerals, said it is taking its message to Central Florida.

The church announced two protests on Friday, April 29: One at Dr. Phillips High School, and one near the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex.

April 29 is the day space shuttle Endeavour is scheduled to launch, and church members said they are protesting U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who is expected to be in attendance as her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, flies to the International Space Station.

Giffords was shot in the head in January's tragic shootings in Arizona.

But the Westboro Baptist Church, on its website, claimed God sent the accused shooter, Jared Loughner, to punish America, and Giffords, for the country's sins.

Earlier that day, the church said it will be in Orlando to hold a protest outside Dr. Phillips High School.

Church members said the school is full of "brutish teachers" and "hateful parents" who have "broken the moral compass of this generation," and promised to bring "truth to students."

That protest is scheduled to begin at 6:50 a.m., as students arrive on campus. Orange County School officials said Orlando police have been notified about the protest.

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/2011/april/231441/Westboro-Baptist-Church-to-protest-Dr-Phillips-High-School-and-shuttle-Endeavours-launch

MTC
04-23-2011, 02:31 AM
If God is really doing all this punishing and such, what is that leaving for Satan to do? Seriously, micro-manage much God?

Steve SFM
04-23-2011, 02:51 AM
Yeah, they've been anti-Gabby for awhile now. :rolleyes: Probably because most everyone is rooting for her.

To me, the right calling Phelps a "Democrat activist" is like when they were harping on Robert Byrd once being a Klansman. Different era, different context. Only difference is, Byrd learned his lesson and atoned, and Phelps sank deeper into fucktardedness.

clarion
04-23-2011, 05:28 PM
I read part of that article as:

Church members said the school is full of "British teachers" and "hateful parents" who have "broken the moral compass of this generation," and promised to bring "truth to students."

;l

Jezebelle
04-23-2011, 05:44 PM
If God is really doing all this punishing and such, what is that leaving for Satan to do? Seriously, micro-manage much God?

LOL - seriously!

Chalk
04-23-2011, 06:22 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/1/6/7/2/4/7/1/jesus-facepalm-15946113922.jpeg

Frangipani
04-23-2011, 07:36 PM
I can't even be angry at them any more. They're just the ultimate trolls.

Trolls trolling trolls below:

These people dont protest for god or for their beliefs; they are as hateful as possible because where they make their money is in lawsuits from people trying to stop them from protesting. Publicity is a vehicle, rather than the goal.

When we protested them in NYC it was hilarious. When you realize even they dont believe their own shit then "serious protesting against the WBC" kind of seems silly and like a waste of time. IMO IMO

brief extremely offensive partial write up for what happened to the WBC when we protested them

..So after about an hour of torrential abuse, chants of “SUCK MY DICK”, “RACIST, HOMOPHOBIC, COUSIN-FUCKING CULT”, and jeers such as “Does the uncle cum feel weird on your tits?”, and “You look like my high school English teacher but also a cunt”, and of course, the timeless classic, “Judas didn’t like jesus because he’s the only one he didn’t fuck.”, the assholes left, to the joy of Earth. The general theme of the protest, that we were mad at them because they wouldn’t have sex with us, all of us, seemed to go over quite well with our new friends, not so much with the Cleetuses: http://imgur.com/cGegd.jpg.

pan
04-26-2011, 02:41 PM
http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/2011/april/231441/Westboro-Baptist-Church-to-protest-Dr-Phillips-High-School-and-shuttle-Endeavours-launch

wait now they are protesting a living person? umm... laws please... they're praising a crime that took place against a government official? can't they just get busted for something?

MTC
04-26-2011, 04:33 PM
seemed relevant as to why they don't get busted for something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUIsQCzhSRs

pb
05-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Lisa Lampanelli has put the evil Westboro Baptist Church into one hell of a pickle -- they wanna protest her show tonight ... but for every hate-monger who shows up, she's gonna donate $1,000 to a pro-gay charity (http://www.tmz.com/2011/05/21/lisa-lampanelli-westboro-baptist-church-44000-donation-topeka-kansas/).

I'd love to see their inbred faces when they open those thank you notes! Hopefully their jaws will drop so fast that their three remaining teeth and cro-magnon foreheads will plummet to the floor.After the show, she tweeted, "Thanks to these a-holes, $44,000 will be donated to the GMHC!!!"

beanstew
05-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Fantastic! :)

Steve SFM
05-21-2011, 11:34 PM
This needs to be a trend.

uncanny hats
05-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Inbred! Cro-magnon! Of course! What the heck is a pro-gay charity?

Octopussy
05-22-2011, 02:53 PM
^ one that donates sequins, doilies and exfoliating treatments to the homeless?

Canoodlefish
05-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Gosh, I thought the whole family would've been raptured to Heaven already. Or transported to Hell. Shouldn't there be some phenomenon complementary to Rapture, an event that sends the deserving to Hell? Maybe we can call it Capture.

uncanny hats
05-22-2011, 04:29 PM
^ one that donates sequins, doilies and exfoliating treatments to the homeless?

I suppose that's better than people hanging out at theaters before the movie starts saying, "If you'd liked to give them some rights, see us in the lobby, after the film!"

beanstew
06-29-2011, 09:32 PM
FBI Invited Controversial Church To Talk To Agents (http://www.npr.org/2011/06/29/137454497/fbi-invited-controversial-church-to-talk-to-agents)

The Westboro Baptist Church is infamous for picketing soldiers' funerals with signs like "Thank God for Dead Soldiers" and "God Hates the USA."

Yet the FBI recently invited leaders of the fundamentalist church to the Quantico Marine base in Virginia to talk to FBI agents as part of the bureau's counterterrorism training program. But after four sessions this spring, the FBI canceled the arrangement amid criticism from inside the bureau, while church leaders claimed that they had been misled.

The church group, led by Pastor Fred Phelps and based in Topeka, Kan., says its protests are intended to tell the world that God is punishing the U.S. military for America's tolerance of homosexuality. The pastor claims to be the prophet of God's wrath.

The FBI first invited the church group to address the FBI's law enforcement training classes back in 2008. And initially, there were no apparent problems. But the most recent sessions, including three at Quantico and one in Manassass, Va., stirred up controversy.

Timothy Phelps, a church leader and the youngest son of Fred Phelps, said he spoke to local law enforcement professionals at the FBI Academy at Quantico and then again to agents who had been in the bureau three years or less at an FBI facility in Manassass.

He said the program was designed to teach agents "how to stay measured when they are speaking with a witness or a suspect with whom they have a strong, visceral disagreement."

Shady Pines, Ma
06-30-2011, 02:16 AM
Lisa Lampanelli has put the evil Westboro Baptist Church into one hell of a pickle -- they wanna protest her show tonight ... but for every hate-monger who shows up, she's gonna donate $1,000 to a pro-gay charity (http://www.tmz.com/2011/05/21/lisa-lampanelli-westboro-baptist-church-44000-donation-topeka-kansas/).

After the show, she tweeted, "Thanks to these a-holes, $44,000 will be donated to the GMHC!!!"

Good for Lisa. Pro-choicers donated money to a Planned Parenthood for every anti-choice activist that showed up and then made a sign that said something like, "Thanks to all of YOU, X amount of women will have birth control pills for a month."

I really like this type of approach and love Lisa for doing that. It's so pro-active and it makes these idiots so mad and strips them of their voice even if for a moment.

Frangipani
07-21-2011, 07:47 PM
they are going to be protesting gay marriage this weekend in nyc (http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/07/westboro_baptist_church_picket_same_sex_sunday.php)

there will be regular counter protests and nyc anonymous being, well, not so regular and they'll probably just yell awful things at them. should be quite a spectacle

photo ellie
07-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Just another way to get their inbred faces on TV again.

For their defiance of their Lord, New Yorkers will suffer the wrath of God being poured out on them from the sky

Yup, God should shed icey cold tears over the state on the 24th. Yeah, that will show us, God should totally cry over the state...he doesn't even have to wait until the 24th, he can do it today.

Jezebelle
07-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Wait - what did the FBI hope to learn from a bunch of hate mongerers? Were they invited so you can see how narrow thinking can turn seethingly hateful?

Frangipani
07-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Ha I just read up and read the fbi stuff. They basically brought in the WBC to see who at the FBI would go apeshit first or how they would handle their own personal feelings. I dont know, sounds like it was a good lesson in being objective (and to see whos the biggest noisiest bitch at the FBI)

beanstew
09-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Foo Fighters: Westboro Baptist Church Counter-Protest With 'Keep It Clean (Hot Buns)' (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/18/foo-fighters-westboro-baptist-church_n_968395.html)

Unafraid to get political -- and goofy -- the Foo Fighters put the two together in a surprise counter-protest against a notorious anti-gay hate church on Friday.

Set to play a concert in Kansas City, Missouri that evening, the band put on a incredible show hours before the first tickets were even ripped. Led by lead singer Dave Grohl, the group showed up at the Westboro Baptist Church's picket against their performance at the city's Sprint Center, riding in the back of a rig truck and rocking out.

Playing their fun, faux-country trucker ode "Keep It Clean (Hot Buns)," the Fighters dressed in the same costumes that they wear in their nudity-filled spoof video for the song. And so as the hate spewed forth from the lips of the small, vitriolic group, their words were drowned out by amplified phrases, such, as "Driving all night, got a hankering for something/Think I'm in the mood for some hot-man muffins/Mmmm, sounds so fine, yes indeed."

During an interlude in the song, Grohl announced, "God Bless America! It takes all kinds; I don't care if you're black or white or purple or green, whether you're Pennsylvanian or Transylvanian, Lady gaga or Lady Antebellum. Men loving women and women loving men and men loving men and women loving women -- you all know we like to watch that. But what I'd like to say is, God Bless America, y'all!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e5hRLbCaCs

;l

entropy
09-19-2011, 12:21 PM
^That showed up on my facebook feed this weekend. One of the best things on my feed in a long time!!

Ryan
02-20-2012, 02:20 PM
So the Westboro clan decided to protest Whitney Houston's funeral, and Margie Phelps later tweeted a picture of it.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/ryansmith83/a3eacca6.jpg

Except not (http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/02/westboro_baptist_church_claims.html).

Star-Ledger reporters on the scene said access to that area had been restricted all day, and confirmed no active protests were occurring in the place depicted in the photograph.

Phelps tweeted several taunting messages to media outlets and Occupy Newark protesters who organized to surround Westboro Baptist members if they showed up today:

"Did my friends @BET see these lovelies? Such fun singing to @OccupyWallSt This picket is rocking the house! @NJ_News "

"All NJ & all who came to lie about Whitney's Godless life saw these beauties!She's in hell! #NoWordsByCelebsChangeThat "

Awwww. Someone in their little church has taken a Photoshop class.

Barbarella
02-20-2012, 02:52 PM
So desperate for attention. And that's a shitty photoshop job! ;l

Frangipani
02-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Why is it that I suspect the same person who wrote "rocking the house" is the same person who shooped the pic.

Bastien
02-20-2012, 05:12 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/ryansmith83/a3eacca6.jpg

I love how the mans hand on the left is covered by an american flag, yet the picket sign is still in full view! Good job guys.

Frangipani
02-20-2012, 05:15 PM
ALSO what does whitney have to do with ows?

Ryan
02-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Apparently the Occupy NJ people also attended the funeral. I think it explains it at the link.

ETA:

Phelps tweeted several taunting messages to media outlets and Occupy Newark protesters who organized to surround Westboro Baptist members if they showed up today:

"Did my friends @BET see these lovelies? Such fun singing to @OccupyWallSt This picket is rocking the house! @NJ_News "

"All NJ & all who came to lie about Whitney's Godless life saw these beauties!She's in hell! #NoWordsByCelebsChangeThat "

Occupy Newark protesters reported they were on their way to confront Westboro's members, but as of 1:30 p.m. didn't respond to requests for confirmation they were there.

Steve SFM
02-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Damn.

If you can't trust the Westboro Baptist Church, who can you trust? :(

MTC
05-17-2012, 02:47 AM
Good for this kid!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/15/westboro-baptist-church_n_1518901.html?ir=Gay+Voices&ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=163195,b=facebook

Steve SFM
05-17-2012, 03:13 AM
That kid is awesome. His parents apparently are, too. Teach your children well, indeed.

Autumn
05-17-2012, 08:31 PM
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/1818/54300510151729313890055.jpg

Mori
05-17-2012, 08:41 PM
I was watching the Q&A show with Kevin Smith on Netflix, and he told this AMAZING story of how the WBC picketed a screening of his movie Red State. He decided to do a counter protest and got his friend to hold up a sign, right in front of Shirly Phelps Roeper, that said "DICK TASTES YUMMY". Afterwards he had invited them to the actual screening, introduced Shirly and said "The face you made at my friend's poster. Was that because you didn't agree with his politics or were you thinking 'No it doesn't'." OMG I nearly woke up the household I laughed so hard.

Frangipani
01-19-2013, 06:32 AM
So Westboro decided to grace NYC with it's presence in the wake of reddits co-creator, Aaron Swartz's suicide. My old crew of 4 years represented and trolled the ever loving fuck out of them. I am so proud right now, and i wish i had been there. After Scientology/Chanology died down, it was depressing watching their (NYCanonymous/MFOs) death knell into obscurity. However brief this moment is in protest trends and publicity, they have done me proud. I am reeling right now. More press should come from this event, and they are pretty dissappointed that their 7 foot cross they spent hours building wasnt mentioned, but such is life.

http://betabeat.com/2013/01/anonymous-unleashes-masturbating-jesus-as-westboro-baptist-church-protests-aaron-swartz-memorial/

anonymous-unleashes-masturbating-jesus-as-westboro-baptist-church-protests-aaron-swartz-memorial

A spectacle of sex, God and hatred broke out in Times Square this afternoon. Dozens of protestors gathered to demonstrate against representatives of Westboro Baptist Church, who were in town, apparently, to protest a memorial honoring the Internet activist Aaron Swartz.

Only two WBC protestors showed up, and were cordoned off in a six-by-six foot pen near the corner of 45th Street and Broadway, where they preached, we think, a message of God’s hatred, or something along those lines.

Members of the Anonymous faction Motherfuckery were among the counter-protestors, gathering in a cordon of their own and chanting phrases such as “Walrus, walrus” and “suck my dick” at the WBC protestors.

Other demonstrators included a troupe of actors from the burlesque musical Let My People Come, and a larger group of more earnest protestors, who insisted in song that God loves us all.

re bolded: HAHAHHAHahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHHAkdhasklfhadlskgjdlskgjsdlgjljlkj

Mori
01-19-2013, 07:30 AM
the best weapon against WBC is to ignore then, even though the temptation to troll them is great. they probably anticipate a counter protest and feed off of that.

Frangipani
01-19-2013, 09:37 AM
the best weapon against WBC is to ignore then, even though the temptation to troll them is great. they probably anticipate a counter protest and feed off of that.

I disagree! Sort of. I wouldve said the same thing 5 years ago. They anticipate physical attacks and property damage. They always up the ante if they arent sufficiently protected by police. Hell, phelps co. even runs their own lawfirm that rakes in the big bucks by suing cities that didnt protect them. I say, fuck ignoring them. Steal the show. The press always loves them, so why not redirect. However minor, i think its a success. You can't "run them out" of places like NYC, bastions of civil liberties and all that. So why give them an isolated public platform? I think it was nunu who linked to a town in MD who effectively terrorized them out of their community and when they tried to sue, the judge threw out the case. Good for them, but the same methods dont work in NYC.

TheTruthSeeker
02-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Megan and Grace Phelps-Roper left the WBC!

http://www.towleroad.com/2013/02/phelpschildren.html

Ryan
02-06-2013, 11:36 PM
I bet Shirley and Fred are shitting themselves.

SweetPea
02-07-2013, 12:48 AM
I bet Shirley and Fred are shitting themselves.

One can only hope... they shit themselves in public... and on camera. So we can all enjoy it.

MyNameisWarts
02-07-2013, 02:18 AM
holy SHIT. The plot just thickened, a lot. This is fascinating.

TheTruthSeeker
02-07-2013, 04:42 AM
Libby Phelps just posted this to her public Facebook page. Makes me all teary-eyed.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/559984_477616068965548_1986464294_n.jpg

Charles
02-07-2013, 02:56 PM
One can only hope... they shit themselves in public... and on camera. So we can all enjoy it.

God hates public defecators!!

Autumn
02-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Good for them. Watching the Louis Theroux documentary, it was almost too obvious that they were beginning to internally question their belief system. It was written all over their faces.

Kari
02-07-2013, 03:32 PM
What they did was really very brave. It will be a long road and they have a lot of amends to make, but its a good start. I have always felt bad for the children. Brainwashing is a powerful powerful thing.

Steve SFM
02-07-2013, 06:06 PM
It's heartbreaking to see a little kid carrying a God Hates Fags sign. :(

iamstilljamiepoo
02-07-2013, 07:44 PM
I think I might have shared this before, but they came to my college some years ago because we were putting on the Laramie Project. Our newpspaper photographer won state journalism that year because there was this little kid (8 or 9) holding up a sign that said, "God Blew up the Space Shuttle." And he looked...so unhappy, I guess. It was an excellent photo. And it was really sad.

SweetPea
02-13-2013, 02:25 AM
WBC is going to picket at Vassar College... for teaching that "It's Ok to be Gay"...

http://jezebel.com/5983807/westboro-church-will-picket-ivy-league-whorehouse-vassar-college

According to Westboro Church, God hates liberal art undergraduates; the hate-worshipping group is planning to picket Vassar "for following the satanic Zeitgeist by professing the soul-damning lie that it is 'OK to be gay.'"

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18egck2xc70qmpng/medium.png

According to a press release, WBC will "kindly warn everyone affiliated with Vassar College that the Lord that destroyed those ancient cities on the plain yet reigns. Repent or Perish! [sic]" Given that a Vassar grad friend of mine once constructed an art exhibition out of nail clippings she saved up for months, I'm very excited to see how the students of this "filthy institution" creatively respond to being called "champions of whoredom." (Also, congrats!)

Alternate theory: since Vassar is not actually in the Ivy League, this story was planted.

The best part of this story, is this person's comment below the article:

Current Vassar student here. What needs and deserves more attention than the WBC picket plan is our counter response: we've raised over $27,000 for the Trevor Project in less than 24 hours.
[www.crowdrise.com]

Steve SFM
02-13-2013, 03:39 AM
More about the Vassar response. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/12/vassar-westboro-protest_n_2671924.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices)

For its part, the Vassar administration has also said it looks forward to a confrontation. In a statement emailed to Vassar's student newspaper, The Miscellany News, school spokeswoman Judy Jarvis said, "The Vassar community is so creative and intelligent, and I look forward to working with students and staff to figure out a response that shows the strength and inclusiveness of our community."

This is gonna be good. :D

SweetPea
02-13-2013, 03:42 AM
Fantastic!

Autumn
03-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Topeka's Westboro Baptist Church has a new neighbor.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/6105_10151485001687421_406557879_n.jpg

A group called "Planting Peace" just moved across the street from the church known for its anti-gay protests. Their house, called the Equality House, has been painted with all the colors of the rainbow, which represents the gay pride flag.

Aaron Jackson said the group's goal is to create anti-bullying programs across America.

"We want to be asthetically pleasing," he said. "Our goal isn't to offend anyone."

Jackson said he read about the Phelps family last year. He then used Google to find out where the church was located. He decided to purchase the property after noticing for sale signs in the area.

Topeka officials said the rainbow house does not violate city code.

http://www.kwch.com/news/kwch-news-jlr-group-hopes-rainbow-house-sends-message-to-westboro-baptist-church-20130319,0,274523.story

Steve SFM
04-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Well, this was predictable.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/blogs/bostonspirit/myphoto%20(10).jpeg

But!

Anonymous @YourAnonNews

If #WBC protests the Boston funerals, they will have to expect us.

Our heroes! :)

MikeEP
04-17-2013, 12:47 AM
i've heard a lot of people say this in Boston today: the Westboro Baptist Church better pray it doesn't have to deal with anyone from Boston if they even try to fuck with those funerals.

plastic•husband
04-17-2013, 12:49 AM
*yawn* Sorry WBC, yet another cry for attention and relevance that barely made me raise an eyebrow...

Cunter Fartlett
04-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Well, this was predictable.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/blogs/bostonspirit/myphoto%20(10).jpeg

But!

Our heroes! :)

What are they going to do? Order pizza and have it sent to their homes? Put gay porn on their website? Pft.

Barbarella
04-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Anonymous is going after them again for this stuff. I hope it's enough to stop them from showing up, because South Boston will fuck them up if they are at the 8 year-old's funeral in Dorchester.

SMMY
04-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Anonymous is going after them again for this stuff. I hope it's enough to stop them from showing up, because South Boston will fuck them up if they are at the 8 year-old's funeral in Dorchester.
that's what I was thinking. Fuck Anonymous, they should really worry about Bostonians wrath if they show up. Anonymous may fuck with their web site, but really irate Bostonians will fuck their bodies up. Did WBC not see "The Departed"?

Steve SFM
04-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Did WBC not see "The Departed"?

;l

Those fuckwads may have met their match this time. It's been hard to get at them IRL because they're so litigious, but you can't file lawsuits if you're sleeping with the fishes. :D

When Damon thinks he's finally beat everybody and then Wahlberg's there with the gun and Damon's like "Oh, OK, get it over with." ;l One of the best movie endings ever.

SweetPea
04-17-2013, 06:45 PM
I don't think they're ready for the level of shear rage that will be thrown their direction. People aren't just sad, people are fucking pissed and WBC is making itself an open target for that rage. *rubs hands together* And I am more than ready to see them get their asses handed to them.

Lathan
04-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Isn't that what they're looking for though? Aren't they looking to be hurt so they can act righteously indignant and sue?

I get it (I TOTALLY GET IT) but I hope they don't get what they're after.

SweetPea
04-17-2013, 07:39 PM
I seriously hope that the people of Boston don't resort to violence (although, I would TOTALLY understand the temptation to punch a few faces). I simply hope that the level of rage scares the living shit out of the WBC people. I hope they shit their pants when confronted with the passion and drive to protect the family and friends of the people at these funerals that the counter-protesters will have.

Then again, from the looks and sounds of things, there will be THOUSANDS of people at the services/memorials for the victims of the Boston bombings. So, the WBC may turn out to be just speck of stupidity in a sea of amazing and loving people. Maybe no one will take mind of them and their shouts of hate will be lost.

We can only hope.

Steve SFM
04-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Honestly? I think they'll chicken out. At the end of the day, they're cowards.

beanstew
04-18-2013, 08:30 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIA7nJYCEAMtce5.png:large

;l ;l ;l

Jezebelle
04-18-2013, 01:20 PM
^ Please, for the love of all things holy, let that be true!

Andrew
04-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Billy the Fridge :D

Scottish Woman
04-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Billy the Fridge :D

;l

beanstew
05-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Slayer fans vow to beat up Westboro Baptist Church at Henneman funeral (http://www.stableytimes.com/news/slayer-fans-vow-to-beat-up-westboro-baptist-church-at-henneman-funeral/)

Fans of the band Slayer say they’ll attack any members of the political protest group “Westboro Baptist Church” who try to picket the funeral of the band’s guitarist Jeff Hanneman. What initially appeared to be a mere joke among the band’s fans on Facebook has since turned into more specific threats on Twitter. “Please try to get near his funeral,” one Slayer fan tweeted the Westboro group, referring to them as an expletive. “You want to see god, you want to see evil? Try it!” The furor erupted a day after Westboro said it would make Hanneman’s funeral the latest in a long line of which it’s attempted to politicize.

Westboro Baptist Church is not an actual church but instead a creation of a family in Kansas whose sole purpose is to create scenes at high profile American funerals to raise awareness for their anti-gay agenda. Its funeral protests appear to have no connection to whether the deceased was homosexual (Hanneman was straight), having also recently targeted the funerals of the Sandy Hook victims and Boston Marathon victims. Although Westboro is not recognized by or affiliated with any actual baptist churches, it’s still legally able to use the “baptist” name.

Slayer fans aren’t the first group to threaten retaliation against Westboro Baptist Church for its funeral protests. Hacker group Anonymous send people to physically block the protesters from the Sandy Hook funerals, and also hacked the group’s website. If Westboro does find itself in a physical confrontation at Jeff Hanneman’s funeral, our money is on the Slayer fans coming out victorious.

I'd pay to see that! [popcorn]

Mori
05-06-2013, 07:09 PM
But isn't that was the WBC want? To invoke violence against them so they can sue? I always say, just ignore them
And pretend they don't exist. That's more of a hit against them than anything else.

Ryan
05-06-2013, 08:20 PM
^ Yes. That's how they make all their money. They want you to do something so that they can sue you for it.

plastic•husband
05-06-2013, 11:27 PM
A pile of body parts torn apart by rabid Slayer fans can't sue anyone.

SweetPea
05-06-2013, 11:54 PM

;l;l;l

Autumn
05-07-2013, 01:46 PM
But isn't that was the WBC want? To invoke violence against them so they can sue? I always say, just ignore them
And pretend they don't exist. That's more of a hit against them than anything else.

I think people have tried ignoring them, and it went down something like this: Tired of being ignored, they decided to start to show up outside the funerals of dead soldiers and slaughtered children. That will get everyone to stop ignoring and pay attention! Then everyone says, "Shit, ignoring them didn't work! It made them worse! We're going to have to pass laws to try and stop this!" And so various laws are passed in various places that say no one can protest within a certain yardage of a funeral home. YAY! VICTORY! Except not, because then they sue because their right to free speech has been trampled. Lawsuit after lawsuit after overturned lawsuit, and they are still allowed to protest. And the U.S. Supreme Court has already ruled in their favor once - they have the right to free speech.

I think what I'm trying to say is that ignoring them seemed to backfire.

Tellurium
05-07-2013, 01:49 PM
And going by WBC logic, any violence inflicted on a church member would be a "judgement from God", and we and they should all revel in its glory. Fire away, folks.

toriMODE
05-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Oh yay, they're coming to my state!

The Westboro Baptist Church has announced plans to picket at the University of Alabama on May 18.
According to the group, known for its inflammatory protests at funerals and high-profile events across the country, the WBC will appear at the university beginning at noon to "remind them of the wrath of God that visited them two years ago, wherein they did not have finals, and their graduation exercises were cancelled."

Six UA students and at least 47 other people were killed and more than 12 percent of the city was impacted by an EF4 tornado on April 27, 2011. At least 253 people in Alabama were killed in the historic outbreak of tornadoes across the state and region.

Steve SFM
05-07-2013, 03:48 PM
They're picketing for shit that happened two years ago now? :rolleyes:

Autumn is our authority on WBC, and I always defer to her expertise. ;) I agree that ignoring them doesn't work. They're really kind of brilliant at finding ways to piss people off. And, like it or not, they do have free speech rights (which can be somewhat restricted, but not completely). IMO, the best way to deal them is to either mock them....

http://thehumansaredead.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/phleps-protest.jpg

...or this new thing some have started doing where groups raise money for gay charities off of WBC appearances. In other words, getting into their faces, but not in way that could lead to a lawsuit.

Lathan
05-07-2013, 04:03 PM
^That all is great. Blocking them with wings, drowning them out with motorcycles, all of that is important.

I just don't know that violence is the way to go. I think there's a lot of room for effective actions between violence and ignoring them.

Autumn
05-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Autumn is our authority on WBC, and I always defer to her expertise. ;)

Ha! Um, okay! I've probably got the same amount of insight y'all do. I'm not a WBC expert, just an observer!

^That all is great. Blocking them with wings, drowning them out with motorcycles, all of that is important.

I just don't know that violence is the way to go. I think there's a lot of room for effective actions between violence and ignoring them.

YES. Non-violent actions have been very successful. The Patriot Guard wall, for example, has been very effective at keeping the protestors away. WBC would not travel for a mere two hours to protest a funeral in Valley Center because the Patriot Guard presence was so strong. It's effectively kept them from protesting local funerals, for the most part.

Mori
05-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Ok so I guess my thinking is already been useless in the past , but the whole raising money for charities is probably the best answer to do then.

Ryan
05-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Here's a snippet of Anderson Cooper's interview with Libby Phelps, who defected from WBC.

http://youtu.be/IjWzC6mVdKM

MTC
05-08-2013, 11:50 PM

We aren't all rabid. You do make a valid point though. [smirk]

Lathan
07-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Apparently this happened: Satanists turned the founder of the Westboro Baptist Church’s dead mom gay (http://www.vice.com/read/satanists-turned-the-founder-of-the-westboro-baptist-churchs-mom-gay)

http://assets.vice.com/content-images/contentimage/no-slug/82f3d7bb506f70ba116d419450e20114.jpg

The Satanic Temple, a burgeoning community of worship devoted to the Dark Lord, has performed a “Pink Mass” over the grave of Westboro Baptist Church founder Fred Phelps Jr.’s mother. The Pink Mass is a Satanic ritual performed after death that turns the deceased's straight spirit into a homo one—it’s not unlike the Mormon practice of baptizing the dead, only much gayer.

On Sunday the Satanic Temple, which first came into the national spotlight last January when the organization announced its support for Florida Governor Rick Scott, went to the Phelps family graveyard in Mississippi to perform the ritual. (Two Pink Masses were performed, one with a female couple and another with men.)

The idea for the mass came about in April, when the WBC announced their intention to protest the funerals of the Boston Bombing victims. The church never showed up, but later issued a statement saying they were there “in spirit.” As is always the case when WBC does or says anything, both the initial plans and the subsequent statement pissed off everyone in the world, including Satanists. And so, according to a press release, the Satanic Temple decided that a ceremony celebrating same-sex couples "at the gravesite of Fred Phelps’ mother was an appropriate way to meet the Westboro Baptists, ‘in spirit,’ but this time on our terms.”

Now the spirit of Catherine Idalette Johnston is officially into other chicks, meaning her gravesite is a viable target for one of her son’s “God hates fags” protests. Lucien told me, "We believe that Fred Phelps is obligated to believe that his mother is now gay in the afterlife. Further, if beliefs are inviolable rights, nobody has the right to challenge our right to believe that Fred Phelps believes that his mother is now gay."

When I asked Lucien if the Temple has plans to perform Pink Masses on any other deceased members of the Phelps family, he said, "We haven’t gayed Fred’s father yet, or his great-aunt, Irene Jordan, who raised him after his mother died. We will perform Pink Masses for each of them, and more descendants of the Phelps, each time they picket funerals or applaud horrific terrorist actions, as they are known to do. Fred himself is getting pretty long in the tooth, and I hope to be presiding over his Pink Mass before long."

The Temple is encouraging other gay couples to make the trek to Magnolia cemetery in Mississippi and suck each others' faces at the grave. They say that every time a same-sex couple makes out over the grave of a Pink Mass recipient, the spirit of the deceased “is pleasured in the afterlife,” presumably with spooky ghost orgasms.

Octopussy
07-20-2013, 04:46 PM
I do love it when Satanists fuck with people like that

Tiny Shiver
03-16-2014, 02:10 PM
And, it seems to be the end of an era, with Fred Phelps near death:

http://gawker.com/ex-westboro-baptist-church-leader-fred-phelps-is-finall-1544924334

Interesting he was ex-communicated last year. Did we know that? I hadn't heard that and can't seem to find why.

Andyland
03-16-2014, 02:48 PM
I've seen a bunch of a "Hurray, he's going to die!" posts..but as awful as he has been, I can't really muster up happiness or excitement for this.

Cunter Fartlett
03-16-2014, 03:58 PM
I think anyone that celebrates in someone's death is an awful, awful person. Even if that person was a piece of shit.

Ryan
03-16-2014, 04:06 PM
Eh. I'm pretty indifferent about it. It's death. It happens everyday. If it's someone I care about or knew well then it's obviously sad, but it's hard to give two fucks when it's a tyrannical old brainwasher who made it his life's work to make other peoples' lives miserable. I actually feel relief when I hear people like this are close to death because it means the world has one less bigoted slimeball in it. That relief is short-lived when you remember that he already set the ball in motion for the next 3+ generations of his disgusting family to be just like him.

Cunter Fartlett
03-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Being indifferent is one thing. I'm certainly not shedding tears over the man. Celebrating it is completely different, though.

Zach
03-16-2014, 04:42 PM
whatever....life isn't sacred, there are billions of people on the planet...if someone wants to celebrate the removal of one piece of shit who not only contributes nothing but actively makes the world a worse place, I say go for it.

Cunter Fartlett
03-16-2014, 04:48 PM
I don't see that it's any different than when they celebrate someone's death. To each his own, though. He certainly doesn't deserve any of my energy, whether it be sympathy or hatred.

Steve SFM
03-17-2014, 01:43 AM
Exactly how I feel, Hunter.

But I'm not really annoyed by people celebrating his death. I'm annoyed by those who are saying, gleefully, that he's going to Hell. I'm not going to say that that people who believe in and support the Christian Hell are bad people, but I do think that belief is a character flaw. And, given that we're talking about someone who LOOOOOVES Hell, unpleasantly ironic.

And yeah, I wonder why he was excommunicated, too.

Jezebelle
03-17-2014, 02:26 AM
That's what I found most interesting - he was excommunicated?? I wonder if he came to terms which the inherit hatred in his beliefs and repented.

plastic•husband
03-17-2014, 03:43 AM
Everybody dies, and death doesn't nullify your life's actions, so when people who've done great things with their lives die, they are celebrated. When someone leads a hateful and mean-spirited life, when they die, people have a right to feel however they want about it, including celebrating (on the inside, preferably). I myself am indifferent, and I think the best thing in this case would be for him to die with no reaction whatsoever, since the WBC has always been about getting our attention by any means possible.

lacuna
03-17-2014, 04:48 AM
I doubt he's come to terms with anything. It's probably some kind of power play within the church. Maybe he's been senile for awhile and didn't change his will so leadership wasn't going to pass on to who they thought it would. Excommunicate Fred and then they can do what they want. I don't know. I'm just guessing, but I really doubt a man as stubborn as Fred Phelps would suddenly repent on his deathbed.

Ryan
03-17-2014, 04:59 AM
My two guesses (and they're purely speculation) are either he had a Warren-Jeffs-style kiddie-diddling problem, or he didn't like the way Shirley was now using social media and the internet to spread their message. I get the impression that he would assume Facebook and Twitter are for fag-enablers and yet she's embraced social media and has all their kids doing song parodies on YouTube and whatnot. So my guess is that Shirley was trying to shut him out either way.

Lathan
03-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Now that he's been ex-communicated, I wonder if they'll protest his funeral. They can tell each other they're going to hell.

spyk_
03-17-2014, 10:54 AM
whatever....life isn't sacred, there are billions of people on the planet...if someone wants to celebrate the removal of one piece of shit who not only contributes nothing but actively makes the world a worse place, I say go for it.

That's really cynical. So the amount of people on the planet nullifies the sanctity of life? Does that mean that as the population of the world increases, the worth of life decreases? Were people's lives in the past worth more, due to the higher mortality rates and lower population? If you start measuring the value of life based on what individuals do with their's, then you wander into very sticky territory. Celebrating this man's death would be hypocrisy of the highest degree. He could have done anything with his life, and it's a shame he used it to spread hate. It's more of a waste than anything else. I would also argue that whilst he hurt a lot of people, saying that he 'makes the world a worse place' is going a bit far. They're a group of nutters who get far too much media attention than they deserve, because they make incredibly good hate targets. He was hardly Saddam Hussein.

Andyland
03-17-2014, 11:08 AM
That's really cynical. So the amount of people on the planet nullifies the sanctity of life? Does that mean that as the population of the world increases, the worth of life decreases? Were people's lives in the past worth more, due to the higher mortality rates and lower population? If you start measuring the value of life based on what individuals do with their's, then you wander into very sticky territory. Celebrating this man's death would be hypocrisy of the highest degree. He could have done anything with his life, and it's a shame he used it to spread hate. It's more of a waste than anything else. I would also argue that whilst he hurt a lot of people, saying that he 'makes the world a worse place' is going a bit far. They're a group of nutters who get far too much media attention than they deserve, because they make incredibly good hate targets. He was hardly Saddam Hussein.

He absolutely made the world a worse place through his actions. There's no doubt about that.

spyk_
03-17-2014, 11:38 AM
I think there is. I'm not saying he was nice and didn't hurt a lot of people, but the actions of his family have hardly altered world events. Most people agree that Westboro is batshit crazy. In fact, he would have done a lot less hurt if the media hadn't latched onto them for a bit of religious sensationalism. I'm only making this point against someone claiming that his death is something to celebrate. It isn't. His death won't make the world a better place. It won't make a blind bit of difference to any of our lives.

Ryan
03-17-2014, 11:58 AM
^ I don't agree with that. I think every time a hateful racist/bigot/misogynist/abuser dies, the world gets a little better. We move forward in part because these cretins die off.

Kari
03-17-2014, 12:04 PM
I have no sadness for this man's death. I don't actively wish death on anyone, but, good riddance. If that's bad karma, well, see you all in hell. That being said, I'm not celebrating either. He doesn't warrant one iota of feeling from me.

plastic•husband
03-17-2014, 12:10 PM
That's really cynical. So the amount of people on the planet nullifies the sanctity of life? Does that mean that as the population of the world increases, the worth of life decreases? Were people's lives in the past worth more, due to the higher mortality rates and lower population?

Well, logistically, yes, if we're talking about the propulsion of the human race. Of course we're all important to the people in our lives, but in the grand scheme, the more crowded the world gets, the less special the individual is. That's why it's important not to go through life being a complete fuck. The higher the population, the more sacred your spot on earth is, not your life itself. That may sound cynical, but I've never been one of those "everyone is here for a reason" types.

spyk_
03-17-2014, 01:37 PM
^ I don't agree with that. I think every time a hateful racist/bigot/misogynist/abuser dies, the world gets a little better. We move forward in part because these cretins die off.

There will always be bigots of a kind. I think that, unless they are in positions of power, ignoring them is the way forward. Celebrating their death only validates them. I'm not a "everyone is here for a reason" type either, by the way. I wouldn't be saying this if he was a mass-murdering national leader or something. He was the founder of an obscure cult that gained notoriety mostly through the internet and from it's own self-promotion. If I was the parent of a dead solider whose funeral the WBC had picketed, maybe I would feel a little bit different. But I'm not. Without wanting to sound like some sort of luvvie, everyone is just a product of his or her environment and it's a shame that he turned into such a twisted fuck. I don't have particularly strong feelings about this man or his church, I just read this thread and found it alarming that people were saying they were glad he was dead.

Lágnætti
03-17-2014, 01:49 PM
I'm glad he's gone - he contributed nothing to this world apart from wife-beating and funeral picketing - although won't toxic daughter Shirl just carry on where Daddy Dearest left off?

I don't think he made anyone more homophobic - when your antics inspire even the KKK to issue a 'WE HATE WESTBORO TOO, DUDES!' notice, you know the ideology is the fringiest of the fringe. I do think the church turned more people pro-LGBT than anti through sheer repugnance at their actions. What did enrage me about them is how they used America's legal system and free speech ideology to torment people already in massive pain and line their own pockets and I look askance at the legal system for that as much as him. Fred was nothing more than a psychopathic old grifter who was basically allowed to continue his con as long as he lived.

Cunter Fartlett
03-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Let's not forget....he's not dead yet! Only almost dead.

lacuna
03-17-2014, 02:32 PM
To blaaaaave.

Lathan
03-17-2014, 02:51 PM
I do think the church turned more people pro-LGBT than anti through sheer repugnance at their actions.
I was just coming in to say this. Not that they should be celebrated. But I would say they inadvertently did good.

other pete
03-17-2014, 02:54 PM
^ Yep, othering the fags was their sole objective, but they became a perfect illustration of the weird vileness of homophobia, only succeeding in othering themselves.

Respectable upstanding homophobes have had their brand ruined by these deranged antics.

Unrelated cartoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt62XoOg64Y

Steve SFM
03-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Their value was (hopefully "was") that they showed people what homophobia really is, behind the "love the sinner, hate the sin" bullshit that more mainstream anti-gay bigot groups (NOM, AFA) hide behind. And I do think it was a factor in the LGBT triumph in the culture war (which isn't complete yet, but is continuing). That said, they hurt a lot of individuals (ironically, many if not most of them not gay, like soldiers' families), and it's time for them to be gone now. I hope that Shirley is unable to keep the Hate Train going.

Pupate
03-17-2014, 03:26 PM
I smiled when I heard that he is in the process of dying.

spyk_
03-17-2014, 03:33 PM
^See, that's just sort of creepy.

Pupate
03-17-2014, 06:56 PM
^See, that's just sort of creepy.

Why? He's a terrible human being, and I'm relieved to see him go. Sure, I haven't been personally oppressed by him or his vile family, but they have done irreparable psychological damage to numerous families and individuals throughout this country. If reveling in the notion that this terrible man is gone gives these people, or anyone who feels some form of stake in the family's egregious behavior, any solace, then I do not see what the problem is here. I think people have every right to feel comfort in the deaths of people who have made their lives unlivable. They don't own this man or his family anything.

That's not to mention that I find it laughable that his family expects "respect" during the time of his death, while they seem to have absolutely no qualms about disrupting other family's mourning on a regular basis. Talk about having your head up your own ass.

Lágnætti
03-17-2014, 07:07 PM
That's not to mention that I find it laughable that his family expects "respect" during the time of his death, while they seem to have absolutely no qualms about disrupting other family's mourning on a regular basis.

Quite. They've done everything possible over the past few years to destroy any shred of respect anyone could possibly have for them and their ilk. You reap what you sow, Westboro fuckwits. The best thing now would be a total media blackout on their activity from here on out. Publicity is their oxygen. Let them sit cold and alone at Daddy Fred's funeral wondering why nobody - not even their alleged god - gives a solitary fuck about them anymore.

Steve SFM
03-17-2014, 07:10 PM
That may well happen after the funeral. I don't think it will before. I do think that his funeral will be a news story, whatever happens.

EnjoyJoy
03-19-2014, 10:41 PM
From what I've read (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/17/fred-phelps-funeral_n_4980493.html), there might not even be a funeral to picket.

AshaBlack
03-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Being in Australia, there's really not much media coverage of the Westboro church but I just watched a bunch of youtube videos and read some stuff online and oh-my-goodness.. People like this still exist!? You would never be allowed to hold signs like that up in Australia - you'd get arrested for even saying these things to people. It's so disgusting.

Picketing at Whitney Houston's burial site that she will burn in hell for loving 'fags'. Hmmm..

Oh and that video of Tyra blowing up at that idiot is gold lol

I don't wish death on people but this man is awful and I'm just going to say that if he were to die - I wouldn't be sad, unhappy, sympathetic or even flinch. I would just think there's one less asshole in the population of this world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.chris
03-20-2014, 03:04 PM
He kicked the bucket- http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2014/mar/20/fred-phelps-founder-westboro-baptist-church-died-w/

I don't care what that makes me, but I'm happy that that asshole is no longer in this world. Fuck him.

Lágnætti
03-20-2014, 03:13 PM
One less nutcase in the world. Not a bad thing, really. Shame he wasted his life being a disgusting, abusive husband and father and a grifter of the worst sort.

Steve SFM
03-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Rest in peace, Fred. If there is anything after this, may you use that opportunity to learn the error of your ways and repent.

Regina Phalange
03-20-2014, 03:14 PM
I try not to be happy about people's deaths. I find it ghoulish. But when I the news, I did give him a hearty last "FUCK YOU."

Lágnætti
03-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Gosh Steve, you're sounding awfully Christian these days!

lacuna
03-20-2014, 03:16 PM
I feel the same way I felt when I heard Osama Bin Laden was dead. Absolutely nothing.

SweetPea
03-20-2014, 03:25 PM
If there are "Pearly Gates" I hope he makes it within sight of them and his given a booming "NOPE" by its guardian and sent packing to some fiery afterlife... where he can spend the rest of eternity thinking about what a giant asshole he was.

But honestly? I hope there is NO afterlife of any kind. So that waste of air has just ceased to exist.

Kari
03-20-2014, 03:45 PM
I feel absolutely nothing. Not rage, or pity, or happiness. Just a shrug and sincere hope that his outlandish bigotry was able to reveal the ridiculousness of his """""church""""".

Steve SFM
03-20-2014, 05:05 PM
Gosh Steve, you're sounding awfully Christian these days!

I suppose I should have said"make amends" rather than"atone". ;) I have a higher power of my own understanding that is neither an invisible man in the sky nor some tall white guy playing a Middle Eastern dude from two millennia ago.

But yeah, now Freddie's dead (that's what I said) and we have bigger fish to fry. Like, say, that cunt Scott Lively calling for an anti-gay revolution. More dangerous than Phelps and his gang of idiots ever were.

Stone
03-20-2014, 05:27 PM
I see where spyk is coming from and I agree with him in part. On the other hand, he is not the product of his environment 100%. He was born and cunt and he died a cunt. And he made the decision to infect others with his hatred and limited view of the world as if he possessed some sort of universal truth.
He was the mere exemplary of why and how blind devotion is just wrong, hurtful and dangerous.

Good riddance!

Puddles
03-20-2014, 07:58 PM
I find it hard to muster up much emotion about his death. He was an odious, ugly, nasty little creature to be sure, but he lived to 84, never showed an ounce of regret for the pain he caused, and he's left behind a large family of equally nasty-minded, horrible little bigots who will continue to protest at funerals and denounce "fags" wherever they go. At the end of the day, it's good that he's gone, but I don't find there's anything to be particularly gleeful about.

plastic•husband
03-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Goodbye Fred, you big lovable teddy bear :P

uncanny hats
03-20-2014, 10:18 PM
weirdest thing: even the uber xtian fundies in my family are celebrating and saying, "hope his funeral draws the biggest protests of all time."

MTC
03-20-2014, 10:32 PM
His crazy kids, and grandkids will carry on. The world keeps turning.

When I read more about him I discovered this: "But there is another Phelps that few know. He was a "brilliant" civil rights attorney in the 1960s who would take on racial discrimination cases that no other lawyers would touch, say longtime African-American civic leaders in Topeka.

He fought for the rights of blacks, they say, with the same passion he now reserves for the condemnation of gays."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/05/hate.preacher/

So even a shit can sometimes smell like a rose. Not defending the guy at all. I just thought it was interesting.

Steve SFM
03-20-2014, 10:43 PM
weirdest thing: even the uber xtian fundies in my family are celebrating and saying, "hope his funeral draws the biggest protests of all time."

The professional anti-gay bigot class (not saying your family is part of that) HATED Phelps. It's pretty obvious why: he refused to tell the lies that they tell about how they feel about queer folks and their allies. Also, he repulsed those who may not be pro-LGBT equality but don't share that level of hatred.

And yeah, that civil rights attorney stuff is fascinating. People are complex and shit. And, needless to say, sometimes people just go off the rails.

Adam
03-21-2014, 05:13 AM
I feel absolutely nothing. Not rage, or pity, or happiness. Just a shrug and sincere hope that his outlandish bigotry was able to reveal the ridiculousness of his """""church""""".

This is exactly how I feel. I haven't been paying attention, but I do hope that everyone pauses and realizes that the best way to "protest" the hate that he and his family have brought into this world is to just shrug and do exactly the opposite of what they're known for. If the public stoops to their level, no matter how well-deserved it may be, we're missing a huge opportunity to possibly make an impact on the family he leaves behind. I'm sure that Shirley is just dying ( no pun intended) to shout about how we're all just a bunch of fag loving, God hating hypocrites. I really hope that we don't give her the satisfaction.

Dan
03-21-2014, 07:58 AM
What the fuck is all this hypocrisy? I'm thrilled that he kicked the bucket. I can only hope he was in great, prolonged pain before his passing.

People like Fred Phelps actually make the world worse. Whenever someone this vile dies, it's cause for celebration in my book. I have no compassion towards his family of cunts (just like they had none for those whose funerals they picketed). I am so fucking sick and tired of every liberal trying to be the bigger person, while the right and the jesus freaks and homophobes and Ann Coulters spew such horrendous vitriol towards us. The culture war is a war nonetheless, and we're holding back too much.

Banjee
03-21-2014, 09:12 AM
^ I'm with you. The dignity of human life blah blah blah...Happy to see Phelps go, too bad it wasn't earlier. BYE BITCH!! The amount of pain and harm he has caused is going to take more than his death to repair. At least he's not around to continue to fuel his particular kind of homophobia. The world is a better place without him.

Lathan
03-21-2014, 10:50 AM
What the fuck is all this hypocrisy? I'm thrilled that he kicked the bucket. I can only hope he was in great, prolonged pain before his passing.

People like Fred Phelps actually make the world worse. Whenever someone this vile dies, it's cause for celebration in my book. I have no compassion towards his family of cunts (just like they had none for those whose funerals they picketed). I am so fucking sick and tired of every liberal trying to be the bigger person, while the right and the jesus freaks and homophobes and Ann Coulters spew such horrendous vitriol towards us. The culture war is a war nonetheless, and we're holding back too much.

Saying someone shouldn't celebrate a death and then celebrating a death, sounds like hypocrisy to me.

lacuna
03-21-2014, 02:46 PM
The professional anti-gay bigot class (not saying your family is part of that) HATED Phelps. It's pretty obvious why: he refused to tell the lies that they tell about how they feel about queer folks and their allies. Also, he repulsed those who may not be pro-LGBT equality but don't share that level of hatred.

yup. I grew up in Kansas and have known about his ass since I was a child. Before he picketed funerals of homosexuals he just picketed churches that accepted gay people (like mine). Now, there were other churches that didn't accept gays, but they thought what Fred and Co. did was gross and over the top (mostly because of the raunchy signs and that they let children do this), so pretty much everyone hated him, even the most conservative of Kansans. And there's a lot of those.

Cunter Fartlett
03-21-2014, 05:21 PM
Saying someone shouldn't celebrate a death and then celebrating a death, sounds like hypocrisy to me.

Because you're exactly fucking right. If you're going to celebrate his death and be happy about it, then by all fucking means, go right ahead and own it. But telling me I'M the hypocrite because I chose not to is so fucking out there, I can't even. I have absolutely NO compassion for the man or his family. I have NOTHING. Hating and celebrating would be a waste of my fucking energy and give him the attention his family seeks. Trying to be the better person? NO. That's not what it's about. Not giving a shit and hope he and his ilk aren't even a blip on the radar? That's what I'm talking about and that's what I hope for.

Adam
03-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Exactly. Do we want this to continue? Do we want to give them fuel? i mean, after years of all of us collectively saying " Hey, it's wrong and disgusting to celebrate someone's death...to picket their funerals", shouldn't we practice what we preached? Or should we stoop to their level and show them that we're all talk and just as bad as they are? And no, even if delighting in a hate mongers death doesn't make you anywhere near the vile people they are, that's exactly how they'll take it and use it. Just imagine them telling their kids " You know all of those people who hated us for celebrating when a fag enabler died? Well, they all celebrated when your grandpa died, so there." This is an opportunity to maybe lead by example and show them that no, all people aren't like them.

spyk_
03-21-2014, 06:27 PM
I just don't think they warrant any kind of celebratory response. No-one is being liberated by his death.

Steve SFM
03-21-2014, 10:50 PM
I make absolutely no apologies for my attitude about his death. I don't hate anybody, because no one has ever explained to my satisfaction what good that does me. I don't object to anyone feeling how they feel about this. And if anyone objects to how I feel, too fucking bad.

plastic•husband
03-21-2014, 11:28 PM
I make absolutely no apologies for my attitude about his death. I don't hate anybody, because no one has ever explained to my satisfaction what good that does me. I don't object to anyone feeling how to feel about this. And if anyone objects to how I feel, too fucking bad.

Totes agree. And I feel like there's been a theme around here lately with some people being chronically outraged at how others feel about certain topics. Stop policing people's emotional reactions, stop calling people "creepy" etc. for feeling a certain way, just stopppp.

Banjee
03-22-2014, 08:37 AM

I think "celebrate" is being stretched and used in very hyperbolic ways in this thread. To me, there's a big difference between feeling the private emotion of relief that Phelps is gone and actively making a show of one's emotions with the sole intention of hurting and humiliating others.

spyk_
03-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Totes agree. And I feel like there's been a theme around here lately with some people being chronically outraged at how others feel about certain topics. Stop policing people's emotional reactions, stop calling people "creepy" etc. for feeling a certain way, just stopppp.

I didn't call anyone creepy, I said that someone saying 'I smiled when I heard he was dying' is a creepy thing to put on an anonymous forum on the internet. Which it is. It wasn't even 'I think his death is for the best', it was that the actual thought of someone going through the slow process of death made someone smile. That is fucking creepy. Saying so isn't policing someone's reaction, in the way that calling out the bullshit in MTF isn't policing anyone either. I was just expressing my reaction to a post. So now I shouldn't say what I feel about what people write on here? Who is the one policing now, eh? FREEDOMZ. EXPRESSIONING. IRONY.

Lathan
03-22-2014, 10:41 AM
I think "celebrate" is being stretched and used in very hyperbolic ways in this thread.

Yes. I oversimplified the argument to illustrate that the word hypocrite was being pointed in the wrong direction. Not that I think anyone was being hypocritical.

Puddles
03-22-2014, 11:53 AM
My feelings toward Fred Phelps and his death are akin to how I might feel about a cockroach. Mostly it's just revulsion. I take no great pleasure in its passing but I certainly feel no pity or compassion; I don't want the icky thing around and, to be frank, I wish it had never existed in the first place. I'm glad that it's gone, to an extent, but I'm aware that there are more just like it lurking in the shadows. Beyond that, I don't think it really deserves a second thought now that it's dead.

As for other people's reactions, I don't think I really object in any kind of moral sense about "celebrating" Phelps's death or protesting his funeral or whatever. Why would it offend me if people want to celebrate the death of a cockroach? I just think it's a bit absurd, and I suppose I also don't think it makes any tactical sense - these creeps thrive on attention anyway, as others have pointed out. Best just not to bother.

Andyland
03-22-2014, 12:01 PM
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/watch/pseudo-religious-hate-cult-leader-fails-dies-202783299986

Rachel Maddow's piece on him last night, with a focus on the kindness and compassion that are generated in response to such intense hatred.

Puddles
03-22-2014, 12:42 PM
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/watch/pseudo-religious-hate-cult-leader-fails-dies-202783299986

Rachel Maddow's piece on him last night, with a focus on the kindness and compassion that are generated in response to such intense hatred.

Excellent piece. Shared this on Facebook.

I remember some years ago there was this horrific murder on a Greyhound bus between Edmonton and Winnipeg, when a severely schizophrenic man killed and beheaded this poor young fellow named Tim McLean, who was just listening to music on his headphones. McLean wasn't gay as far as I know, but because the murder was so horrific it generated a lot of media attention, which in turn got the attention of the Westboro Baptist Church. As soon as we learned that they were planning to cross the border to protest McLean's funeral, loads of volunteers sprang up with plans to form a protective ring around the grieving family and keep the protesters at bay. There was information being disseminated about how to deal with them (i.e., it's very important not to get physical with them in any way because they will sue at every opportunity). It was quite moving to see the community reaction. Luckily, though, in the end the WBC ended up being no-shows.

RabbitLuvr
03-22-2014, 01:23 PM
http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/westboro-baptist-church-protests-lorde-concert-first-protest-since-phelps-passing

Last night in Kansas City.

Stone
03-22-2014, 02:11 PM
And I feel like there's been a theme around here lately with some people being chronically outraged at how others feel about certain topics.

You can say that again (although I don't think it's limited to unf; I think it started in the YouTube comments and has spread throughout the internet. It's like people have this need to either prove they're morally superior or they just like to preach).

Steve SFM
03-22-2014, 03:34 PM
I loved Rachel's piece.

SMMY
03-22-2014, 05:31 PM
I love how, even though he is dead, Phelps is still managing to bring the controversy and hatred out in people. Mission accomplished!

toriwannabe
03-22-2014, 11:20 PM
For some reason I can't access that Rachel Maddow article, but here's Louis Theroux who famously spent time on 2 documentaries with " the most hated family in America (https://www.facebook.com/LouisTheroux/posts/523251944459326)."

AshaBlack
03-24-2014, 03:46 AM
I read about the Lorde protest. What do they find so offensive about Lorde? Have I missed something here or are they just that desperate for attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk