Page 110 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110
Results 1,636 to 1,642 of 1642

Thread: The All-Inclusive Amanda Palmer Thread

Drowning in the Sound is the only song that really appealed to me.

Maybe it benefits me to be a casual Amanda fan (only really have the "real" albums and the Radiohead covers EP, though I did really like the Weinstein song/video). I hadn't heard any of the songs here in any previous or demo form, but I really enjoyed my first couple of listens. Surprised there isn't more love for Death Thing which I thought was lovely, along with many of the previously mentioned tracks (The Ride, Machete, Drowning in Sound, A Mother's Confession, Voicemail For Jill).

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    I enjoy the new record. It's simple, honest, and attempting to be more direct in the lyrics. It has some fails (no-one needs two long songs accompanied by ukulele - The Thing About Things and Bigger On The Inside are pretty not great) but it has some lovely wins too - Machete, Drowning In The Sound, Voicemail for Jill, The Ride - really great songs.
    Agree about the ukelele songs, especially The Thing About Things which I think could’ve been cut.

And @Nick, I love Death Thing too. I got chills the first time I heard it. It’s a great album closer and I love how it starts “let’s try to end on a pleasant note...” Look Mummy No Hands is great too. And I said it before but I think the interludes are really beautiful and used so effectively throughout the album.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Definitely love some of the new material! Need some more time with it before I can say if I like it, but it says a lot that I'm not immediately turned off after a first listen.

Reminds me, I was not liking the first Dresden Dolls song I heard. Where I heard it - the Dresden Dolls put "Girl Anachronism" on a free give-away record and a friend of mine had it - and he said "hey listen to this" (we carried discmans I think lol). While I didn't like the song immediately on first listen, I still could appreciate it for some of its aspects, so then I listened to the album and was in love. Also what came before it and after. Stuff like "A Night at the Roses" and "The Garden" is so very dear to me it is hard to explain - like somebody else mentioned, Amanda somtimes puts stuff out there that is almost too intimate. Her first solo was a natural extention of that.

Then came the Evelyn Evelyn ordeal, which I could really appreciate for the amount of dark comedy and theater that went into it - I saw her for that show in Amsterdam with Jason Webley. It was kind of awesome, because after the Evelyn Evelyn stuff came two solo concerts - and...I know this stuff wasn't for everyone, but at least you could tell they really commited to their work! Too bad, the best version of the best song imho I think only ended up as a b-side on one of the vinyls =(. Then came Theatre is Evil, surrounded by a lot of controversy that I missed, and hearing *that* I thought - wow this is the height of her career right here. Again, so much work went into it and it shows. What will come after? ....... crickets. A lot of what came after sounded.. I don't know... lazy? As compared to the other stuff. I haven't liked any of her material since I think, except for maybe "In My Mind" and "Map of Tasmania". Not even sure if I heard all of it, but I'm quite sure I don't want to. Anyway. Her strongest suit is that she doesn't seem to have any brakes when it comes to art, but it is probably also her most frequent pitfall. A lot of it crashes and burns.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLab View Post
    Why do you keep coming to this thread? You seem to hate her so....yet you can't stay away.
    Well, this is of course a forum, not an echo chamber... don't you think it is interesting to read what other people have to say about the new material? That is the entire point of this place as opposed to "light and love" groups on Facebooks where only positivity is allowed.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Amanda’s tour started last night. Apparently it was a 3.5 hours long (and she said she “still didn’t fit it all in” on Twitter) 😬 here’s the setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/amand...-1b924524.html

I was excited when I heard she was planning to do a tight, well-rehearsed show (I posted her blog post about it a few pages back. Here it is again: http://blog.amandapalmer.net/10-thin...teen-broadway/) and I’ll reserve judgment until I see the show but I’m less enthusiastic about going at the moment.
    Last edited by MikeEP; Yesterday at 01:35 PM.

Yeah, that’s pretty in line with the shows she did here this past week and earlier in NY. I’m not getting the chance to see her this tour but I think I’ll be okay with that set. But hey, hopefully Missed Me continues to take a long break!
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Maybe it benefits me to be a casual Amanda fan (only really have the "real" albums and the Radiohead covers EP, though I did really like the Weinstein song/video). I hadn't heard any of the songs here in any previous or demo form, but I really enjoyed my first couple of listens. Surprised there isn't more love for Death Thing which I thought was lovely, along with many of the previously mentioned tracks (The Ride, Machete, Drowning in Sound, A Mother's Confession, Voicemail For Jill).
    Samesies.
    I heard a couple of them as a patreon member - but because they were released one by one with a lot of time between, the songs were basically brand new to me.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.