Page 109 of 109 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 1635

Thread: The All-Inclusive Amanda Palmer Thread

Yeah... Amanda had lost me completely. I get why people might like this, because she has written some nice verses here and there. But this is music, and where is the music? Where are the melodies, or the arrangements? It really sounds like she wrote some very, very, very long poems and she recorded the same motive for ten minutes and then she tried to read the lyrics with something that miiiiiight sound like a melody, but it's the same three notes for the ten minutes.
    At least I have the Dresden Dolls albums and her first solo album. But I'm done with her now.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    You're just going to cut her out forever?
    I mean, the album may not be for everyone but is it really that bad?
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Yes, it is. At least to me.

Amanda's been on a downhill slide for me for years - Theater is Evil was a great rally, but starting with Evelyn Evelyn her work has just been increasingly self-indulgent and smug without the craft to back it up, and between her repellent public persona (never forget her using her 'apologies' for her stanning Jian Ghomeshi as an excuse to hawk her book) and the fact that she put on the worst live show I've seen in my life (lecturing the paying audience about how they don't value art enough to pay for it while performing six songs and then reading Neil Gaiman stories aloud!), I'm basically done with her too. Amanda's not for me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    The overall response here was definitely more positive, but there were fans who said the same thing about Theatre Is Evil.

I'm still loving it and really excited for this tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    As Perky said, it's not that this album is bad for me (which it is, it is really, really bad, it's way too self indulgent), it's just that Amanda has been doing this shit for years now. I'm not the biggest fan of TIE, but at least it has some cool songs and there are some hooks. But, seriously, look at this list:

-Evelyn Evelyn
    -The album about Australia and New Zealand.
    -The album with Radiohead covers in ukulele
    -The album with Neil Gaiman.
    -The album with her dad.
    -The album with Ka-Spel.
    -Piano Is Evil.

And there must be a couple of things I'm missing. That's at least seven TERRIBLE pieces of self indulgent crap, eight with the new album. On the other side, there's one great album, and another album that it's OK for me.
    Yeah, that's it. I'm done.

edit: according to discogs, there's also an album of covers of The Velvet Underground. I never listened to that one, but I seriously doubt it's so amazing it'll make me change my mind.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post

Amanda's been on a downhill slide for me for years - Theater is Evil was a great rally, but starting with Evelyn Evelyn her work has just been increasingly self-indulgent and smug without the craft to back it up, and between her repellent public persona (never forget her using her 'apologies' for her stanning Jian Ghomeshi as an excuse to hawk her book) and the fact that she put on the worst live show I've seen in my life (lecturing the paying audience about how they don't value art enough to pay for it while performing six songs and then reading Neil Gaiman stories aloud!), I'm basically done with her too. Amanda's not for me anymore.
    Wow. I didn’t know she did that or I forgot she did that. Regardless, it is pretty unforgivable to do that at a show.
    Last edited by Volta; 03-16-2019 at 12:57 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Why do you keep coming to this thread? You seem to hate her so....yet you can't stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLab View Post
    Why do you keep coming to this thread? You seem to hate her so....yet you can't stay away.
    Perky literally just said the last solo album was great. You also aren’t required to like everything an artist does to post in a thread about them, especially one that’s been going on for several years following the artist’s career.

Perky’s been following A’s work for a good 15 years, dude. She had one of the more glowing and honestly coherent reviews of Theatre Is Evil so I’m not sure what you’re going on about. Mike’s on the money here.

Also, to call Piano Is Evil OR You Got Me Singing self-indulgent crap is utterly baffling to me, whether or not they’re one’s cup of tea.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

The only side project that held zero appeal for me was "I Can Spin A Rainbow." I generally catch at least one live show for each of her projects, and I skipped that one.

For one thing, there’s been a lot of pretty scathing criticism of Amanda in this thread over the years. That may seem odd, but I like it that way, even though I often disagree with the criticism. For another thing, Perky is one of the very best posters here, and as far as I’m concerned, she should be in EVERY thread. Unfortunately, she has a life.

Goddamn it, I have to actually listen to the album so I can jump into the debate.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

....and the fact that she put on the worst live show I've seen in my life (lecturing the paying audience about how they don't value art enough to pay for it while performing six songs and then reading Neil Gaiman stories aloud!), I'm basically done with her too. Amanda's not for me anymore.
    I was also at that show and still count it as one of the worst I've ever seen by anybody. I think we left after 3 hours and 15 minutes, and she was still going. By that point, she had talked/read from Neil's book so much that she had STILL only performed a handful of songs. And she had this huge band - horn section and everything - just standing around.

The literal only more awful thing I've ever seen was Amanda's musical play The Bed Show at Bard College. Completely aside from the fact that it made absolutely zero sense, it was incredibly offensive and exploitative. During, I felt sick just thinking about how any individual who'd been sexually assaulted would feel watching it. And prior to the show, she was literally insulting members of the cast and audience (in front of everybody, repeatedly, and with no cause). She paraded around a girl and had audience members rate her, then berating them when they rated her well (since they really had no reason not to), saying they only did so because they were scared to rate her poorly to her face. This is all just a small description of the evening (which I detailed much more extensively somewhere in this thread). It was SO weird and upsetting.

It becomes almost impossible not to consider all this extra shit when hearing the music. I can still detach from those experiences and enjoy the music when I find the songwriting interesting (which I do on this album), but my husband is absolutely done with her. I think that play felt like a second chance for him after the awful concert, and it ended up being worse/more offensive than I even could've imagined. We had both been huge fans since the early days of the Dresden Dolls, and he can't even stand to hear her voice anymore.
    When they're calling
    From the edge

I’ve been a fan since the Dresden dolls days-I loved their first album, it was brilliant, and the sheet music books that came with then were awesome-a lot of effort went into these albums

However I just feel ever since the TED talk stuff she’s just done EVERYTHING. I couldn’t keep up, and some of the stuff that was being released really wasn’t for me.

I’ve always been curious to see her live, but am unsure now. She’s playing some tiny venues around the U.K. this year.

This is getting rambling now, but I feel in agreement with you guys who (appear) to be saying TOO MUCH!

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    The thing with the side projects, is that most of them have a song or two that are actually decent (from what I've heard) - imagine a record of each of those little strong moments put together? That could have been great - there's an art to editing - next Ted Talk: The Art Of Editing.

I enjoy the new record. It's simple, honest, and attempting to be more direct in the lyrics. It has some fails (no-one needs two long songs accompanied by ukulele - The Thing About Things and Bigger On The Inside are pretty not great) but it has some lovely wins too - Machete, Drowning In The Sound, Voicemail for Jill, The Ride - really great songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Also, to call Piano Is Evil OR You Got Me Singing self-indulgent crap is utterly baffling to me, whether or not they’re one’s cup of tea.
    Why is it baffling? Are you having trouble understanding that people have different opinions? Or is that a one way street for you?