Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

Dry

PJ HARVEY
    DRY
    (TOO PURE/INDIGO)
    Released: March 1992 (UK) / June 1992 (US)
    Chart: UK No.11

• Oh My Lover
    • O Stella
    • Dress
    • Victory
    • Happy and Bleeding
    • Sheela-Na-Gig
    • Hair
    • Joe
    • Plants and Rags
    • Fountain
    • Water

PJ Harvey's first album, recorded at the end of 1991 and first released in the spring of the following year. It produced two singles - "Dress" and "Sheela-Na-Gig" - and Polly became a critical darling, with an NME cover and two awards from Rolling Stone magazine.

Let the discussion commence!

- SINGLES -

DRESS
    Released: October 1991
    Formats: CD, 12" vinyl
    Chart: n/a
    Tracks: Dress / Water (demo) / Dry (demo)

SHEELA-NA-GIG
    Released: February 1992
    Formats: CD, 7" vinyl [limited 400], 12" vinyl
    Chart: UK No.69
    Tracks: Sheela-Na-Gig / Hair (demo) / Joe (demo)

Last edited by menju56; 12-24-2010 at 04:02 PM.

You know what? I'd probably listen to this album more if it was remastered. The sound quality of it is so bad that it's a chore to really listen to it. I do remember loving Oh My Lover, O Stella and Plants & Rags right off the bat. It's a strong album overall, and it's really amazing that his was her record debut. She did good.

Banned
    I believe it only cost $6,000 dollars to record. I think it's a wonderful album - such an iconic album cover, the classic "Dress," one of Kurt Cobain's favorite records. I remember reading a Rolling Stone review blurb about it when I was in high school - it said that unlike most riot grrls of the era, the record reveled in weakness and humiliation, and that intrigued me.

I was given this album on a tape by a friend of mine. One side of the tape had this album, and I don't even remember what was on the other side. But I was completely hooked. The CD she taped it off skipped at the start of "Fountain", but I completely fell in love with PJ through this album. I was listening to a lot of Tori and Kate Bush at the time, and getting into Joni, and this friend thought I'd love something with a bit more edge to it.

I love how it's mixed - it's so rough and raw and beautifully all over the place. I love the huge extremes between the highs and the lows in volume, and how you'd get blasted out of it one minute and then be turning the volume up the next. Awesome album, and still one of my favourites of her records.

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    You know what? I'd probably listen to this album more if it was remastered. The sound quality of it is so bad that it's a chore to really listen to it. I do remember loving Oh My Lover, O Stella and Plants & Rags right off the bat. It's a strong album overall, and it's really amazing that his was her record debut. She did good.
    I don't think the sound quality is bad enough to make it a chore to listen to, but I would love a remastered version of this album. Maybe for the 20th anniversary?

This album holds up incredibly well, much better than most early 90's albums. The songwriting is timeless, and there are at least 7 classic tracks on here. (I'm sure we can debate which 7, haha)

Fountain is a song that took forever for me to get into, but I loved the live performances of it from the Uh Huh Her era. Here it is from the KCRW Session in 2004:

I listened to it again last night in full. And it still sounds really fresh! If it was released this year, it'd still work. It really is a classic.

I haven't listened to this album in ages! I think I might put it on while I clean the house today. When I first bought this album, I had a cassette player in my car and this particular tape didn't leave my car for MONTHS. Dry is so infectious and full of this vibrant, youthful energy that it really is impossible to resist. I do fine it frustrating when critics still refer to Dry as the sound they wish Polly would return to, though. It's like, that was 20 fucking years ago, move on already.

I think the lo-fi nature of the album and the far-from-glossy production and mixing only adds to its charm. It's the sound of raw talent, raw songs, unadorned and a big contributory factor to why I enjoy the album so much. Now, if something like To Bring You My Love was approached in a similar way, I think that would be entirely ineffective. It's precisely because these songs are so raw that the sound works for it. However the versions of some of the songs from the Peel Sessions album are a fascinating insight into how it might all sound given a cleaner production/mixing job.

I agree JHV about the writing being timeless. These songs are about 20 years old now but like ebby says, if it was an album that came out this year it would still attract a lot of praise, I think. If this was someone's debut album in 2010, I think we'd all be mighty impressed and excited about this new talent.

I've always been intrigued about Polly's work and especially the early years because it seems so different to her personality in interviews. She always came across, to me, like a lovely, kind of quiet, reserved English farm girl. And then out pours this raw and incredibly powerful rock music.

Also, "Dress" has to be, for me, one of the all-time great debut singles. Here's the 1991 demo:

If anyone's interested in DRY & DEMONSTRATION (lossless .wav), PM me and I'll send you the files.

And if anyone's interested in rare tracks of Polly's, here's a good thread->http://atforumz.com/showthread.php?t=304444.

And there's many more than those mentioned in the thread. I've got about 100 rare tracks. All were extracted, using eac-095b4(secure mode), from the original commercially released/official CD's I own. All files were of course left uncompressed (.wav). So if anyone wants a list of everything, I'll provide it.

Has Demonstration ever released as an album, like 4 Track Demos?
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

No. And the 1992 release was very limited with only 5000 LPs and 1000 CDs made. So it's not unreasonable to say that its okay to share lossless wav's of these songs since its so VERY long OOP.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    Has Demonstration ever released as an album, like 4 Track Demos?

Lightbulb

I remember reading this album was hard to find, so I was glad when I found it. And I love it - it all sounds great, but Joe was my fav when I was feeling hyper/angry/frustrated

and wasn't it Tricky who used a line from one of the songs (Oh My Lover) ?

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    I really love this album.

Plus, the demo of Dry (the song) and the Peel Sesssions version of Victory are two that can't be missed from this era.

The PJ Harvey trio playing live at Pinkpop on June 8, 1992 - AKA amazing. I believe this was one of the first, if not the first, festival shows they ever played; Polly was only 22 here - but they are on fire

Is it just me or is the mixing on this album very quiet? I turn up the volume, but it still sounds so quiet. Is this a mixing issue, a production choice, a budget thing, or what?

I hope someday she remasters and re-releases. It's such a great album, and I feel like I'm missing so much.