• Working for the Man
    • C'mon Billy
    • Teclo
    • Long Snake Moan
    • Down By The Water
    • I Think I'm A Mother
    • Send His Love To Me
    • The Dancer

After the dissolution of the PJ Harvey trio in August 1993, Polly took some time out before returning to the studio to record this album in the autumn of 1994. It was her first co-production job, with Flood and John Parish, and represented something of a US breakthrough. It yielded the singles "Down By The Water," "C'mon Billy," and "Send His Love To Me," and showed remarkable artistic growth.

- SINGLES -

DOWN BY THE WATER
    Released: February 1995
    Formats: CD, 7" vinyl
    Chart: UK No.38
    Tracks: Down By The Water / Lying In The Sun / Somebody's Down Somebody's Name

C'MON BILLY
    Released: July 1995
    Formats: 2 CDs, 12" vinyl
    Chart: UK No.29
    Tracks: C'mon Billy / Darling Be There / Maniac / One Time Too Many

SEND HIS LOVE TO ME
    Released: October 1995
    Formats: 2 CDs, 7" vinyl
    Chart: UK No.34
    Tracks: Send His Love to Me / Long Time Coming / Harder / Hook (live from Glastonbury) / Water (live from Glastonbury)

NOTE: "Long Snake Moan" was also released as a US promo single in 1995 with an edited version and the album version.

Last edited by menju56; 12-24-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Two words come to mind when I think of To Bring You My Love: Rustic and Raw. It's a powerhouse of an album, and if I were to name an album as a fan favorite I would probably list this one as #1. Love love love PJ's deep vocals on this album. It wasn't until a few years ago when I saw her being interviewed that I realized she had such a dainty voice. I never would have guessed that she could have that deep singing voice. Really for this album I don't have any favorites - they all seem to be on the same level of quality. I loved the theatricalness of her makeup for her video C'mon Billy. That blue eye shadow just turned PJ into a monster and I think we all loved it.

Her most consistently amazing, imo. There isn't a song that's not crucial to the entire body. Not to mention that each song inhabits its own sort of sound, yet they all fit together perfectly. She definitely hit her stride with TBYML.

/gizz.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I think the development between Rid of Me and this one is quite extraordinary, and the best move she could have made. For a while it took me a while to warm up to the more subtle ones ("Working for the Man," "I Think I'm A Mother") because I thought they were drifting towards filler status, given how 'slight' they sounded to me at first. But of course they're not slight at all and there's a lot going on in those songs.

The following video is one of the very first things I ever heard/saw from her. I could hardly think about anything else all day - one of those striking moments imprinted on your memory. The song itself was very sinister, with those fuzzy keyboard parts, John Parish looks kind of like a serial killer, the knife scrapes along the guitar, they have that scary string section, and then there's Polly, in a black dress with pale face and black hair and garish make-up - like "Joan Crawford on acid" - singing about blue-eyed whores and fish stealing her baby. (I also always find it sinister how she rubs the sticks on her stomach (or womb?) when she sings "come back here man, give me my daughter" at 2:25). A masterclass in uneasy, unsettling, ugly-beauty

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    This was my favorite era in terms of visuals. What's better than a five foot, 90 pound woman who covers herself with garish make-up and prances around like a drag queen?

Pj Harvey once said that her ambition was to make a 10-track album where every track was a jaw-dropping masterpiece......

To me "To bring you my love" is exactly that - it is definitely her masterpiece, every single song makes such a huge statement musically, and there's not a single moment that I would change or get rid of.....

I remember when she was on Jools Holland in 95, Sheryl Crow was on as well and I guess to the general public Sheryl was the rock-chick of the times.....and then this raven-haired, pale little girl comes on and just blows everyone (and Sheryl) out of the water....such a powerful moment.

So many excellent points brought up in this thread! It makes sense that TBYML would elicit such inspired comments. I agree, the level of growth between ROM and TBYML is astounding, and the visual aspects of this era are as compelling as the music itself. The Ophelia-esque album cover is quite possibly my favorite album cover of Polly's to date, no tot mention the videos for DBTW and C'mon Billy, and that one particular image from the Send His Love To Me single with PJ in that dress made of flowers.

I recently bought this album on vinyl and played it on my surround sound and I was taken with how vivid and singularly unique each track is, but was especially reminded that in spite of each track being so singular, the album itself retains a cohesive sense of wholeness. It's such a solid body of work that as much as I enjoy the b-sides (and what a wonderful lot of b-sides it is) any added or subtracted track or any change in sequence simply wouldn't work. So I suppose it's kind of a perfect album for me, and will always be my favorite of hers.

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    Perfect album, wouldn't change a nanosecond of it. Even the b-sides are some of her best work -- Darling Be There is one I've been into lately, it's very Nico.

as said before, the perfect album from beginning to end. The title track just floors me, it brings up such strong images.
    Meet Ze Monsta is nothing but pure fun and of course there is the famous single, Down By The Water. In between everything is great, but it's I Think I'm A Mother and Working For The Man that fascinate me the most

this is one of the albums for which I am sad that I missed the tour - all those live pics from her in that pink suit on those high heels look just fab ! And I love the special kind of microphone she used during that tour

perfect album and definitely my favorite. I love the theatrics of the lyrics, style, and imagery. I wish she would release a tour from this era on dvd but I won't hold my breath. I remember hearing TBYML as the opening song during her 2003 tour in Australia and it was unforgettable.

This album was such a big step forward for her in every way.

Here is a seven-song set she played in February 1995 at a record industry event in San Diego, possibly the first time she ever played these songs live on stage. She's wearing her familiar TBYML/Down By The Water video cover attire and it's the first proper time she was performing without playing guitar. It's pretty special. A little rough around the edges, but so brilliant

such an incredible performance of The Dancer

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    such an incredible performance of The Dancer

I love how even after she forgets the words she still manages to knock the ending out of the park.

My love for this record has grown lately. "To Bring You My Love" the song is my latest PJ obsession!

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    My love for this record has grown lately. "To Bring You My Love" the song is my latest PJ obsession!
    It's my favorite PJ song of all time.