Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is This Desire?

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjee View Post
    and of Catherine just because
    (where's the high quality of this?? )
    Since we're talking about Catherine, here's my hands down favorite version.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I bought this today in an attempt to complete my PJ collection. I only have Uh Huh Her and Dry to go and then I have all her solo studio albums. I've had time to give it a couple of spins. My first impression? Catherine is one of the most mesmerising songs I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post
    I bought this today in an attempt to complete my PJ collection. I only have Uh Huh Her and Dry to go and then I have all her solo studio albums. I've had time to give it a couple of spins. My first impression? Catherine is one of the most mesmerising songs I've ever heard.
    Desire is a GREAT album. It's definitely one of my all time favorites.

I'm enjoying a lot of it so far. It often takes me a little while to get properly into her work, I'm not sure why. She's an exceptional storyteller, so I think her music takes longer to reveal itself, as there are so many layers. I've never put on one of her albums and thought 'WOW!' but after a couple of weeks I'm always astounded. TBYML, Stories and LES are all already among my top albums of all time, so I can't wait to discover Desire. At the moment, I'm still listening to Catherine on repeat, but soon I'll get over it and get more involved in some other tracks!

What do you think of "Joy?" I remember hearing it for the first time, and it was just really jarring for me. But then it became my favorite thing on the album. Especially hearing the live versions from '98, and then going back to the studio version, and just really loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    What do you think of "Joy?" I remember hearing it for the first time, and it was just really jarring for me. But then it became my favorite thing on the album. Especially hearing the live versions from '98, and then going back to the studio version, and just really loving it.
    I felt the same about Joy! It became my favourite very quickly! I never liked The River and still find it to be the weakest track, though I wouldn't say I dislike it now. I would always skip it, though. Ahhh, memories. I remember getting my first copy of ITD? I've had two or three, I think. I bought it used and two pages of the booklet were stuck together with some dried liquid. I recall really liking the artwork inside, especially the picture of the dead seagull on the stones.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post
    I'm enjoying a lot of it so far. It often takes me a little while to get properly into her work, I'm not sure why. She's an exceptional storyteller, so I think her music takes longer to reveal itself, as there are so many layers. I've never put on one of her albums and thought 'WOW!' but after a couple of weeks I'm always astounded. TBYML, Stories and LES are all already among my top albums of all time, so I can't wait to discover Desire. At the moment, I'm still listening to Catherine on repeat, but soon I'll get over it and get more involved in some other tracks!
    This is a similar story for me - I always liked all her albums, but some of them took me years to go from 'like' to 'love.' Something like Dry and 4-Track Demos just clicked one day after like five or six years or something and now I just couldn't be without them. Of all of them I seem to listen to Is This Desire? the least but I'm not sure why since it's very good. Catherine is a favourite, as are The Garden, The River, A Perfect Day Elise, Angelene... My Beautiful Leah is brilliant too, she captures that uneasy feeling of turmoil perfectly.

I love a lot of the b sides from this album as well such as Sweeter Than Anything, The Bay and Rebecca.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    I'm finding it one of the more inaccessible ones at the moment, to be honest. Time will tell though.

What's everybody's top5 Desire album tracks?

Mine would be:

1. My Beautiful Leah
    2. Catherine
    3. No Girl So Sweet
    4. The Sky Lit Up
    5. Angelene

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Garden
    Joy
    A Perfect Day, Elise
    The Sky Lit Up
    Catherine

Is This Desire?
    Angelene
    The Sky Lit Up
    Catherine
    Electric Light

though it is very tough choosing top 5 as each song is so unique and enrapturing.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

The River
    No Girl So Sweet
    Catherine
    The Wind
    A Perfect Day Elise

Catherine
    Is This Desire?
    Angelene
    My Beautiful Leah
    The Sky Lit Up

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    Well this is what I think it is now but it could change tomorrow. I love them all!!

The Garden
    A Perfect Day Elise
    The Wind
    No Girl So Sweet
    My Beautiful Leah