Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 100

Thread: Is This Desire?

  1. #61
    I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,419
    A Perfect Day Elise
    Catherine
    No Girl So Sweet
    Angelene
    The River.

  2. #62
    Tens Across the Board Banjee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami Beach
    Posts
    3,135
    Catherine
    No Girl So Sweet
    The Garden (the Maida Vale 98 version really made me fall in love with this track)
    Is This Desire?
    The Sky Lit Up
    Last edited by Banjee; 12-13-2013 at 10:39 AM.

  3. #63
    Senior Member AshaBlack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,374
    Catherine seems to be the all round favourite


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #64
    Tens Across the Board Banjee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami Beach
    Posts
    3,135
    Because it's exquisite. First time I saw PJ Harvey she opened up with "Catherine"-- my god it was heart-wrenching beautiful.

  5. #65
    Senior Member AshaBlack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjee View Post
    Because it's exquisite. First time I saw PJ Harvey she opened up with "Catherine"-- my god it was heart-wrenching beautiful.
    Wow that would be such an incredible opening song for a show.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #66
    girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,664
    Yeah most of the Desire-era shows used Catherine as an opener!! The only thing I love more than this album in PJ's career is the live versions of many of these songs... I listen to the live-in-studio versions of A Perfect Day Elise, The Garden, My Beautiful Leah and Catherine more than the album.

    but Electric Light... sigh. It's just weird having Rob Ellis sing the whole song. And every single time? I mean there were NO versions of PJ singing this until the White Chalk tour!! I really love the arrangement though, it really evokes that feeling of late night motel rooms bathed in blue TV screen glow.

  7. #67
    I adore Is This Desire? It is one of my favourite albums by anyone ever and there's not one thing about it I'd change.

    Joy is and always has been my favourite track. It is so ugly and unrelentingly hopeless, yet beautifully compelling. The build-up at the end with the cymbals is fantastic. When I heard it live on a bootleg I was struck by the guitarwork, and you can hear a bit more of a melody, but for me it just doesn't compare to that wonderful industrial grind present on the album.

    The River is a song I wasn't keen on for a while, then fell in love with it in 2011, when the lyrics just struck a chord with me. I feel there's a strong vein of hopelessness running through the album, no doubt reflected by Polly's state of mind. IIRC, she said in an interview she was having a pretty bad time mentally, and was ready to give up music and become a nurse.

    At the time ITD? was released I was 16, and I really connected with it. It was my first exposure to Polly's music, and I fell in love pretty quickly. I regret so much not seeing her on tour that year. I love Is This Desire? so much; it is my perfect album

    Top 5:
    Joy
    The River
    Electric Light
    The Wind
    Catherine

  8. #68
    sing to the moon dAmION's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    LA area.
    Posts
    4,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Mike View Post
    I adore Is This Desire? It is one of my favourite albums by anyone ever and there's not one thing about it I'd change.

    Joy is and always has been my favourite track. It is so ugly and unrelentingly hopeless, yet beautifully compelling. The build-up at the end with the cymbals is fantastic. When I heard it live on a bootleg I was struck by the guitarwork, and you can hear a bit more of a melody, but for me it just doesn't compare to that wonderful industrial grind present on the album.

    The River is a song I wasn't keen on for a while, then fell in love with it in 2011, when the lyrics just struck a chord with me. I feel there's a strong vein of hopelessness running through the album, no doubt reflected by Polly's state of mind. IIRC, she said in an interview she was having a pretty bad time mentally, and was ready to give up music and become a nurse.

    At the time ITD? was released I was 16, and I really connected with it. It was my first exposure to Polly's music, and I fell in love pretty quickly. I regret so much not seeing her on tour that year. I love Is This Desire? so much; it is my perfect album

    Top 5:
    Joy
    The River
    Electric Light
    The Wind
    Catherine
    I was 16 too when I got Is This Desire? and I still think its her best album. Ya, definitely the drum tracks and other programming seemed really state of the art. Thank producer Flood for that I think. The ending of Catherine is amazing, so wistful/yearning.

  9. #69
    'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,841
    Okay so I've had this album for a few days now. Daaaaaamn it's so good. I'm more 'into' the first half of the album than the second, at the moment. I think pretty soon I'm going to love the whole album, though. Listening to it is such an intense experience. Each track sort of fades in and out, so it gives the whole thing an airy, outdoor-like feel. It's the opposite of TBYML, in that sense. I don't know whether it's just because of the lyrics in Angelene or because of the artwork, but this album reminds me very vividly of being on the coast, by the sea. I haven't heard anything like this before, by her or anyone else.

  10. #70
    girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,664
    I've been working on-and-off on a Kate/Tori/PJ/Björk mix and Is This Desire is the PJ album I keep coming back to for this purpose.

    It's not done yet and there's going to be remixing, but I'm definitely working "The Garden" in between "Pagan Poetry" and "Suede". It's perfect!

  11. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    622
    I would love to see this album in a deluxe edition with an extra disc containing the b sides from this period

  12. #72
    Tens Across the Board Banjee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami Beach
    Posts
    3,135
    Quote Originally Posted by seso View Post
    I would love to see this album in a deluxe edition with an extra disc containing the b sides from this period
    That actually exists. When the album was first released they released a Deluxe edition with a disc containing the B-sides.

  13. #73
    I've never heard of that before today. I want! But I want TBYML & the B-Sides more!

  14. #74
    Tens Across the Board Banjee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami Beach
    Posts
    3,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Mike View Post
    I've never heard of that before today. I want! But I want TBYML & the B-Sides more!
    That exists too! The TBYML deluxe is with ALL the B-sides. I have to look; I think the ISD? Deluxe came with an extra disc but not all the B-sides. I haven't seen mine in forever so my memory is hazy...

  15. #75
    girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,664
    ^ it had the Elise b-sides, but not the Wind ones.

    There's also THIS



    I'm kind of curious to hear Instrumental #1 and I'm dying to know if The Garden is any different here! That's my favorite track on ITD and apparently it wasn't even going to be on the album?! WTF PJ!! Glad she came to her senses!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •