Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    You have my full moral support for that, Menju!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    A little something I rustled up

It's been a while since I've listened to anything off of this album, but today decided to play it from Good Fortune to Beautiful Feeling and WOW. I'll have to play the whole thing soon. The only songs I remember I don't care for is Big Exit (though I LOVE the live solo version) and TWHATHW.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

Big Exit is one of the best songs on that album!

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    I agree. Although, yes, live it is miles better!

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Big Exit is my favorite song off Stories and is also in my top 20 favorite PJ songs. Love both the studio and live versions. That chorus fucking rocks.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    I love how pure and soaring her voice sounds on the choruses of Big Exit, and then how rough it sounds on the verses. I love how she's a really versatile vocalist, and I think that song shows it off well.

Because she is such a versatile vocalist, that's what drew me to her music in the first place.

Wow. I listened to this in full, on a hot, sunny day, and am amazed at how beautiful this album is. It was like listening to it for the second time. We Float is such a beautiful ending to this love affair she's singing about. The b-sides are also on par with the album tracks, particularly 30 and Memphis. I might replace Whores with 30 and see how that sounds, otherwise, it's perfect. Even Big Exit was music to my ears
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

This is probably the least cool PJ album, but I still love it when nobody's looking. We Float and A Place Called Home are my jam.

I just snagged this on vinyl for an amazingly cheap 44.00 total. Considering I've seen it go anywhere from 100-300 bucks on eBay, I'm stoked.

I can never decide whether this or To Bring You My Love is my favorite PJ album. They're pretty much neck and neck. There's just so much delicious stuff on this one.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

The Markness, I think we're in the minority here on this one. I'm really surprised that fans rank this one so low. I've adored it since the day it came out.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I'll add some love for this album as well! I had always been familiar with PJ, but it wasn't until the release of this album that I became a fan. I remember her video for Good Fortune following me around. Everytime I had MTV2 on in the background it would be playing. I love how unabashedly pop and polished it sounds in comparison to her other albums. It is the perfect entry point into her catalog. I never tire of it, and I was just dancing around the house while cleaning to it just the other day .

Oh, I freely admit this is my favorite PJ album.

After getting into Tori via Alanis, and Ani DiFranco via Tori, PJ came slightly after to round out my female singer-songwriter knowledge. This was all around 2000-2002, so it was really a crash course in the alt female artists of the 90s. A fan of PJ's recommended I start with Stories, since it was her most accessible. Her voice and songwriting just work so incredibly well with the glossy, glam rock & pop sound. Sure, it feels a little safe compared to her more raw, earlier efforts, but the delivery and overall feel of the record is still completely PJ Harvey.