Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Uh Huh Her

^ I was thinking that Pocket Knife is a connection between her older work and White Chalk, in that she uses her untrained, "girlish" voice rather than her operatic voice. There are other similarities, in that she always strives for simplicity in her work. Very serious, very stripped down.

She has a HUGE backlog of songs, at least song titles. Look for copyright listings, it used to be on the 'net somewhere.

I still don't like Uh Huh Her. I can't accept the "it's a patchwork" thing, I don't see how it should work.
    The best song of this era IMO is this:
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

So for those of you who love UHH, why do you love it? What are your favorite moments? I still don't love it, but maybe you can point out stuff I haven't noticed.

The Letter - Watch the live performances of it from tv shows especially (I think Letterman and Leno). The energy of the performance is riveting!
    It's You - So dark and longing!
    The Darker Days of Me and Him - A great song to wallow in your own depression to. So deliciously miserable!
    The Slow Drug - The sound/loop reminds me of Kosheen's Hide U, and just really enjoyed the lyrics to it.
    Who the Fuck? - The festival performances of the song before the album came out, has so much more punch to them, and are just fun and outrageous.
    You Come Through - Reminds me of a best friend, and the live versions have some extra/different instrumentation to the song that makes it very interesting.
    Last edited by toriMODE; 07-24-2013 at 03:53 PM.

^ What toriMODE listed, but I'd also add:

"Shame" - which in its simplicity is IMO one of her best songs. Classic and timeless. And the melody is totally addictive.
    "Pocket Knife" - which I guess sounds a bit like what came afterwards (the folk-influenced White Chalk and Let England Shake). I especially love the 2004 live versions with the additional "S-O-S! Wedding dress!" at the end; fun and sinister.
    "The Desperate Kingdom of Love" - a simple, almost 'traditional' acoustic guitar ballad that somehow manages to convey some unexplainable beauty.

It's a good record, Uh Huh Her. It has its weaker moments and suffers from being a bit too all-over-the-place (compared to her cohesive masterpieces) but it's not such a disaster as some people claim.

I just watched a clip of Please Leave Quietly and saw myself in the audience at the end of the UH HUH Her performance.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

Quote Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
    ^ What toriMODE listed, but I'd also add:

"Shame" - which in its simplicity is IMO one of her best songs. Classic and timeless. And the melody is totally addictive.
    "Pocket Knife" - which I guess sounds a bit like what came afterwards (the folk-influenced White Chalk and Let England Shake). I especially love the 2004 live versions with the additional "S-O-S! Wedding dress!" at the end; fun and sinister.
    "The Desperate Kingdom of Love" - a simple, almost 'traditional' acoustic guitar ballad that somehow manages to convey some unexplainable beauty.

It's a good record, Uh Huh Her. It has its weaker moments and suffers from being a bit too all-over-the-place (compared to her cohesive masterpieces) but it's not such a disaster as some people claim.
    Now, "Shame" is one I've always loved. Badmouth too. I'm watching live versions of the others on YT to see if that helps them grow on me.

I listened to UHH today and when The Letter came on, I realized that it's quite blatantly about intercourse. I always thought it was obviously a sensual/sexual song, but for some reason never interpreted the pen to represent the penis and the envelope/paper as being a vagina! Then there's the reference to the g spot ("curve of my g") and reaching orgasm ("I'll come running") and so on. "Wet the envelope. Lick and Lick it!" Oh, Polly!
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

Hahaha! OMG, I never realized that either! How silly of me.

Oh, Polly, indeed! I love the song even more now.

I gathered that the pen was the penis, but I didn't realize the envelope was the vag. Thanks for bringing light to this!

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    To me, this was her last really great album. Still hate Cat on the Wall though.

Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Really?? I like White Chalk and Let England Shake much more than Uh Huh Her. I loved the UHH tour and when the album first came out I listened to it so much. It was a fun time but it's probably my least played PJ album now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Really?! Wow.

Joining in the Cat on the Wall love, although I wish she'd named it Caterwaul as she'd originally planned. I'm not overly fussed on the album, I think she's done a lot better before and after, and the majority of my favourite songs from UHH are the b-sides. The tour however was fantastic! I do miss Polly rocking out with her guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by AshaBlack View Post
    Really?? I like White Chalk and Let England Shake much more than Uh Huh Her. I loved the UHH tour and when the album first came out I listened to it so much. It was a fun time but it's probably my least played PJ album now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    White Chalk gets listened to a surprising amount by me, which is odd as I list it below Uh Huh Her, which has songs I skip more. Odd how we define things as good. Maybe White Chalk is more backgroundy? Really good to draw to, btw.