Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Uh Huh Her

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    UHH turns seven years old this week. I remember getting it the Friday of the week it came out, and loving both it and the artwork.

Here's her 2004 Jools appearance

And a UHH era US TV interview

I remember buying UHH from the Best Buy in Hoover the day of its release! I thought The Letter was a great first single from the album and I loved the tv performances.

They took the gay right out of me. Buelis's Avatar
    Although it's her patchiest album, there's a lot to love. It's kind of hard to criticize an album for being inconsistent when that's what the artist set out to do, but even with that in mind it doesn't quite work for me. I feel like the wrong songs were excluded. 'The Falling' , 'Bows & Arrows' , 'Uh Huh Her' , and 'The Phone Song' are all brilliant and I feel their inclusion (as well as the omission of tracks such as 'Cat on the Wall' and 'Badmouth') would have strengthened the album.

Favourites:

-The Slow Drug
    -You Come Through
    -Desperate Kingdom of Love
    -Darker Days of Me & Him

My first PJ album! I bought it that summer, right before a trip to the West. Turns out, it was perfect music for driving around the parched plains and through mountain passes.

I've never listened to the b-sides, though, and from what Philodendron writes I figure I should.

My favorite at first was The Slow Drug, but since then The Darker Days of Me & Him wrestles for the top spot and honor along side It's You.

I have to say I've really come around to Uh Huh Her,and now rank it higher than Dance Hall and ROM (4-Track will always trump ROM). It's not her most cohesive, but that's also kind of the point, it just took me a while to accept that about UHH. And it contains some of her best guitar work and vocals to date, not to mention some of her best songs. It's definitely a summer album; driving around on a balmy summer night from "You Come Through" to "Darker Days" is just about the most wonderful thing ever.

They took the gay right out of me. Buelis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I have to say I've really come around to Uh Huh Her,and now rank it higher than Dance Hall and ROM (4-Track will always trump ROM). It's not her most cohesive, but that's also kind of the point, it just took me a while to accept that about UHH. And it contains some of her best guitar work and vocals to date, not to mention some of her best songs. It's definitely a summer album; driving around on a balmy summer night from "You Come Through" to "Darker Days" is just about the most wonderful thing ever.
    Yeah, the album really hits its stride in the final third.

I remember loving "It's You" straight away and kept listening to it on repeat (back then).. I pretty much really loved the album, I just rarely listen to it these days. I really hardly ever listen to it now.
    When I saw her at Splendour in the Grass, I fell in love with You Come Through and wished that the album version had the same power as the live performance.

I woking up craving PJ this morning for some reason, and I've ended up listening to Uh Huh Her. It's honestly pretty awesome. There's a fair amount of unfortunate crap on the record, but it's balanced by an equal share of work that is easily some of her absolute best (and most experimental!), and it's all thrown unceremoniously and incongruously together like a leftover casserole. Seagulls, what? I feel like this record is the perfect foil to Stories, which was fairly bland consistent in style and tone throughout.

Pocket Knife and Shame are brilliant~

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I really really like Uh Huh Her - it's my 3rd favorite Polly album and I think it's a bit underrated.

Standout tracks for me are:

The Darker Days of Me and Him
    The Desperate Kingdom of Love
    The Letter
    It's You

And it's a HUGE departure from Stories (which I like, but don't love.)

ETA: I LOVE the song Uh Huh Her although I understand her explanation about why it didn't end up being on the album.

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    ETA: I LOVE the song Uh Huh Her although I understand her explanation about why it didn't end up being on the album.
    I would understand if the album in question was White Chalk or Let England Shake, where she changed almost everything about her music, but it's not. Uh Huh Her has pieces of everything she'd done as an artist up to that point, the album feels incomplete to me without the title track.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I would understand if the album in question was White Chalk or Let England Shake, where she changed almost everything about her music, but it's not. Uh Huh Her has pieces of everything she'd done as an artist up to that point, the album feels incomplete to me without the title track.
    I absolutely agree. She put stuff like "The Letter" - which is quite similar to her earlier efforts - but decided to leave out "Uh Huh Her" anyway. I really wish she included it; it's such a fantastic track!

Although I wouldn't put Uh Huh Her the album in my top 5 PJ records, I still like it a lot. I don't really think it has bad songs - apart from "Cat on the Wall" and maybe some of the shorter interludes that aren't that impressive. But overall its main drawback is IMO the lack of cohesiveness rather than bad songwriting. It's a bit like a collection of (lovely) B-sides that don't neccessarily compliment each other but are great on their own terms. I mean - "Shame", "Pocket Knife", "The Slow Drug", "You Come Through", "It's You", "The Desperate Kingdom of Love", "The Darker Days of Me & Him"... these songs are as good as the ones on her widely-acclaimed 'classic' albums. I guess Uh Huh Her suffers from being an 'ugly duckling' of her discography.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Oh, I quite agree that the song would have blended well on the record. However, PJ had this to say when discussing the album in the iTunes EP interview:

Uh Huh Her was originally one of the lynchpin songs of the album inspiring its minimalistic and heavy-going approach. After listening to it, she said it sounded a bit like being hit over the head with a sledge hammer for 3 minutes. She also went on to say that when recording the vocal, the engineer told her it sounded like 'two ferrets in a bag trying to get out.' She ultimately decided not to put it on the album because it reminded her too much of herself; that it 'sounded so PJ Harvey as a song.' And she then stated that she doesn't think she'll ever release a studio version of it, preferring to keep it as a live song as she's interested in the concept of a song only being done live, where the quality of the music is allowed to change and not be fixed in time in any way.

Oh yeah, the "two ferrets" excuse.

And that it is "too PJ." I have to wonder if the studio version was really the problem, I just don't hear two ferrets in a bag in the live versions. Oh well.

Uh Huh Her and Stories* are two end points in the PJ spectrum to me, with Stories on the neat and tidy end, and Uh Huh Her being the sloppy loose end. Both albums were slow starters for me, I skipped the Stories tour because I was so disappointed, it was just too conventional. I really regret that now.

I did see her for the UHH tour, maybe that made a difference because I gave it more of a chance. Shame and Pocket Knife are classics.

ETA: Sorry, edit. I meant to say Uh Huh Her and Stories are two end points in the PJ spectrum. The italics bit were missing.

It's somewhat difficult for me to put on a PJ album and not pay attention to it. All her albums demand that. All but Uh Huh Her. That's what I like about it; it's not a very serious album. It has some crazy stuff, a bit of romance in it, loss, but it's done in a way that makes it "fun". I have two distinct memories of the exact moments I listened to this album. One was in Mexico City, while I was walking to the subway, listening to the full thing, and the other was in Korea, while sitting in a park at night. I think the memories I associate with this album make me want to frequent it often. I know I saw her during this tour but I really can't remember the show (whereas I do remember the Stories concert I went to in Toronto, where we had photos taken together and we both looked quite awful).

All her other albums are very serious.

Before the news got out about Uh Huh Her, PJ said that she was working on a very ugly record (which ended up not being Uh Huh Her). I wonder if any of her releases included some of those songs she was working on. Does anyone see it in White Chalk (which is quite dark and ghostly, but not ugly) or Let England Shake?

I bet she has a lot of music hidden somewhere. She's quite critical of her own work so there must be a lot of treasure that she put away.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak