Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: White Chalk

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Regarding the artwork of Uh huh her, the title seems to be written in White Chalk (lol).

I'm trying to complete my collection of b-sides, and the b-sides of this album are giving me headaches. "Heaven" is a cover of the Pixies' song? Because all I found was a song called "Monkey gone to heaven", a Pixies cover, and it sounds NOTHING like White Chalk. Is that song? If not, where is this cover from?
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    Heaven is not a cover. It's from Automatic Dlamini's unreleased second album - PJ wrote it and took lead vocals, it was the only song she wrote and sang on unaccompanied when she was in band (though she sang backup/duet on many other songs).

apparently this b-side is a "demo version", but I can't really tell the difference (from my bootleg of Here Catch Shouted His Father).

This is the worst album for b-sides... first of all, there were only three. Second of all, they're all older songs. Third of all - one of them is Heaven, which is nice, but not quite the same PJ Harvey we all know and love. If I were making a b-sides mix I would probably stick Heaven and Wait at the end of Dry/Demonstration and Liverpool Tide with the Stories or UHH b-sides.

I like this album, but I can't say I adore it. I love the title track, Grow Grow Grow (which reminds of me a Lisa Germano song) and The Piano. Hated her wailing at the end of the record tough - strangely enough, I've never had any trouble with it when she reaches high on her other records

as said before, respect to the lady to come out with something no one would have imagined her doing. And to be able to do it in a good way

edit: gonna start a new thread for this.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I think the wailing on "The Mountain" works really well when she does it live. There are some live performances where it has a Diamanda Galas quality. I would also like to say that the song "White Chalk" is one of my favourite things she's ever done, and especially the live performances with the piano and harmonica are breathtakingly beautiful and sad.

I wonder how she's going to do these songs on the new tour, if she is. She successfully transposed "Grow Grow Grow" onto autoharp, and "The Piano" is on guitar(!), so it's possibly interesting to see what she might do (I don't think she's touring with a piano.)

This is hands down my favorite PJ Harvey album. There's not much I can add to what has been said, so I'll just mention that I love the version that we got during the tour of down by the water, which in my opinion is the definitive version of the song.

The autoharp "Down By The Water" has definitely grown on me a lot, it has a real sadness to it that the studio version doesn't. But my favourite remains the '95 Jools Holland performance which is what really got me into PJH in the first place.

Banned
    I don't really post much about PJ (or in fact outside MTF at all), but I felt I really needed to show my love for this album. It's my favourite of all her albums... I'll never forget the first time I heard the end of The Mountain. It's heartbreaking, but also quite creepy, much like the rest of the album. Silence is my favourite track by far, the lyrics are brilliant, and I love the vocals at the end of that one too. It was very brave of Polly to make this album, and I'm so glad she did.

I agree. I think it was an inspired and brave move to do a record on the piano. Her playing is quite simple but it's really effective. I always imagine the character (I always see White Chalk as the story of one central character) jumping off the mountain at the point of that screaming. "Since you betrayed me so, since you..." ... JUMP! Literal, I know. I've also been really connecting with "Silence" lately having not really paid it as much close attention as some of the others.

And another thing: she said she wrote dozens and dozens of songs for this album, and only 11 are on it and it runs to about 34 minutes. It feels like a full, rounded album but doesn't outstay its welcome. I think she needs to get on the phone to a certain someone about how to edit albums

(And W2E, great to see you post!)

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    And another thing: she said she wrote dozens and dozens of songs for this album, and only 11 are on it and it runs to about 34 minutes. It feels like a full, rounded album but doesn't outstay its welcome. I think she needs to get on the phone to a certain someone about how to edit albums

You wouldn't be talking about our Goddess, Tori, would you? Hmmmmmm????

But my favourite remains the '95 Jools Holland performance which is what really got me into PJH in the first place.
    It was my favourite too,until I found out this one.I love everything about this performance.The arrangement,the backing vocals,the ending,it's perfect!

Banned
    I agree. I think it was an inspired and brave move to do a record on the piano. Her playing is quite simple but it's really effective. I always imagine the character (I always see White Chalk as the story of one central character) jumping off the mountain at the point of that screaming. "Since you betrayed me so, since you..." ... JUMP! Literal, I know. I've also been really connecting with "Silence" lately having not really paid it as much close attention as some of the others.

I love your interpretation of The Mountain! Very macabre, but it also makes a lot of sense. I think Silence immediately jumped out at me because it seems more upbeat than the rest of the songs upon first listen, but after the lyrics are noticed it becomes clear that the song is really as woeful as the rest of them. Quite the same as what I've heard of LES, actually.. having to pay close attention to the lyrics before the song's true meaning becomes obvious.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    . I think she needs to get on the phone to a certain someone about how to edit albums
    And recommend some good producers, among which PJ herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    It was my favourite too,until I found out this one.I love everything about this performance.The arrangement,the backing vocals,the ending,it's perfect!
    Excellent performance! I loved that interplay towards the end between Polly and Margaret.