• Leaving California
    • The Chair
    • April
    • A Woman A Man Walked By / The Crow Knows Where All the Little Children Go
    • The Soldier
    • Pig Will Not
    • Passionless, Pointless
    • Cracks in the Canvas

The follow-up to 1996's Dance Hall at Louse Point, this album is the second collaborative record between Polly and John Parish, who wrote the music (Polly wrote the lyrics.) It features the familiar team of Polly, John, and Flood and was significantly more successful commercially than Dance Hall. The album yielded the single "Black Hearted Love" and was supported by a tour of Europe and the US in the spring and summer of 2009.

- SINGLES -

BLACK HEARTED LOVE

Released: March 2009
    Formats: CD, 7" vinyl
    Charts: n/a
    Tracks: Black Hearted Love / Within a Month / False Fire

Last edited by menju56; 12-24-2010 at 05:36 PM.

I last saw PJ Harvey on this supporting tour of the album. Favorites for me were Black Hearted Love and Passionless, Pointless. I loved how she changed up her vocal stylings for the song April. And the theatrical "Pig Will Not" was a shout out to her Taut days.

It saddens me that so many are left cold by this collaboration, because I FUCKING LOVE THIS ALBUM. Seriously, I still listen to it regularly over a year after its release. Even my younger brother who previously wasn't a fan became one because of this album. It's so eccentric and histrionic and hilarious, who else makes music like this? And for me, Pig Will Not was an instant classic that is one of my favorite songs to run to EVER!!! It makes all my workout playlists because it fills me with this absurd, hilarious energy that propels me to push myself further, and I get a kick out of remembering seeing Polly live in ny barking like a dog whilst stomping around onstage barefoot.

Also, Cracks in The Canvas live has made me cry on more than one occasion, and I don't cry often.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I get a kick out of remembering seeing Polly live in ny barking like a dog whilst stomping around onstage barefoot.
    That WAS a site to behold!

Something about this album....... just doesnt flow well for me. I like a few of the songs, but some others just don't work for me, and that is extremely rare for me with PJ. I need to give this album more of a chance I think, I tend to just skip a lot of it.

I have to give this album more listens, but Black Hearted Love and April were instant classics for me. Although a bit too noisy maybe, I also like Pig Will Not - the barking !

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I love A Woman A Man Walked By and Pig Will Not. Completely understand why they may be divisive but I find them funny and absurd and wonderful and it was a level of crazy energy I was missing from her for a little while.

Black Hearted Love and April are also classics that enter into my favourite PJ Harvey songs list.

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    I love A Woman A Man Walked By and Pig Will Not. Completely understand why they may be divisive but I find them funny and absurd and wonderful and it was a level of crazy energy I was missing from her for a little while.
    Agreed. They were both incredible live too, managing to be scary and amusing at the same time.

It's the slower tracks on this album that don't do it for me, which is unusual since I tend to enjoy PJ's ballads/slower songs more than most people it seems. I think I was also spoiled for this album because I listened to the SXSW/radio session appearances before the studio versions and then the studio takes didn't measure up to the live energy.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    This album is incredible, just listened to it again. "April" remains my favourite, my birthday is in April and I was going through a lot of changes (switching jobs) at the time it was released, and this song just really hit me.

Depth is the greatest of heights whenthepawn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    "April" remains my favourite, my birthday is in April and I was going through a lot of changes (switching jobs) at the time it was released, and this song just really hit me.
    What day in April? My birthday's on the 4th

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    The 12th!

Also, Black Hearted Love has a glamrock vibe to it that doesn't really suit the album, even though I've come to enjoy it as a stand alone song. I think Garbage should cover that song, and that PJ and John should maybe team up for an album with all sorts of Garbagish Queenish songs, in their own unique style.

I love that idea!

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    Black Hearted Love is one of my favorite PJH songs, and has been one of the most-played songs on my ipod 2 years in a row.

I had mixed feelings about the rest of the album at first, but I've come to like it more than Dance Hall. Passionless Pointless is my second favorite, after BHL. This is probably some of my favorite production for any PJH song - reverb effects on the guitar, flute synth, dissonant sounds during the chorus, and drumming during the post-chorus - amazing combination of sounds for a single track.

PP is SUCH an amazing song. That and BHL I really think would've been huge smash hits had they been released in the nineties.