Page 148 of 150 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150 LastLast
Results 2,206 to 2,220 of 2238

Thread: George Martin's Game of Thrones

Would love to know just how much detail GRRM provided here and how much they had to fill in. Jon kills Dany, North secedes, Bran chosen by Lords?
    I haven't read any of the books but Martin probably procrastinates so much because he can't think of a better ending and is ultimately pissed it's been revealed already.

hoo

Ok, so I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would

No, seriously, the first 20 minutes or so were great. Dany's death was well done. After that things got patchy... To borderline ridiculously corny even.

What I disliked:
    - Drogon melting the actual Iron Throne... It was such a forced symbolic thing that made zero sense!
    - Tyrion finding his family under a few bricks, still beatiful and almost peaceful (did we see the same collapse? I mean, come on, they'd have to be clobbered under rocks)
    - The fucking fade-to-black after Drogon flew up and BOOM we're weeks in the future. Jarring time jump.
    - Samwell proposing democracy and everybody laughing it off, I thought I was watching an episode of Blackadder for a minute! Rubbish.
    - The Uncle proposing himself as a ruler, again: Blackadder material, it was SO STOOPID
    - Tyrion spinning the whole 'stories matter' speech
    - Bran's smug deadpan stare
    - That fucking Song of Ice and Fire book.
    - In fact, that whole king's hand meeting!
    - Brienne acting like a weepy maiden writing Jaime's story
    - That FUCKING Song of Ice and Fire book!!! Really???

What I DID like:
    - The run-up to Dany's death, especially the tour of the damage in Kings Landing and her 'they don't get to choose' scenes.
    - Sansa and Arya being strong women in that stupid council filled with testosterone
    - The final scenes of all the Starks, those were truly wonderful!

WHAT I STILL HATE AND WILL ALWAYS HATE:
    The fact that the whole night king / 3-eyed raven mythos didn't mean anything! There was no twist, no deeper meaning, no further development, no explanation, nothing. Just Arya's dagger to the knee and POOF! Gone. I can live with Dany and the dark side, badly paced as it was, but this was such a fucking let down.

All in all I had hoped for more story in the final season than just 'events happening' with a big ass hollywood blockbuster budget.
    Last edited by wout; 05-20-2019 at 07:33 PM.
    post28!

Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    WHAT I STILL HATE AND WILL ALWAYS HATE:
    The fact that the whole night king / 3-eyed raven mythos didn't mean anything! There was no twist, no deeper meaning, no further development, no explanation, nothing. Just Arya's dagger to the knee and POOF! Gone. I can live with Dany and the dark side, badly paced as it was, but this was such a fucking let down.
    None if it mattered. They set up the White Walkers as the end of days for seven years, only to shrug them off halfway through their first real appearance. The mystery of Jon's parentage and its connection to Robert's Rebellion was teased since the pilot only for it to be a moot point by the end. Bran's true nature and role as the Three Eyed Raven was explained offscreen. Jaime's painstakingly detailed development was waved away over the course of a single episode. The scope of the dragons' power, their effect on the people around them, their level of understanding - all varied depending on what needed to be done to further the plot. These weren't small inconsequential details. They were a huge part of what the show was ostensibly about.

Quote Originally Posted by starry starry View Post
    I've never seen another episode of any show before where it was so clear the writers had completely given up.
    I kind of feel and think that too. Especially given Daenerys' death. I mean all that build-up from the last several seasons and just one little stab and that's it?! I feel they majorly petered out on that. I also think Jon Snow got a raw deal even though apparently he didn't go along with the banishment and now has the ability to start over. I watched the last couple of episodes but they reminded me of why i've never really gotten into Game of Thrones or been able to watch them with any building interest or love. Slow, plodding pacing..dialogue that's hard to understand..characters that aren't compelling (although i've always like Jamie Lannister) and overall nothing really to root for as everyone seems to be squabbling for power. *shrugs*

Fail!
    Last edited by Alamo; 05-21-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    If you can separate the character from the actor, this makes a lot of sense. When I think of the journeys many of the characters made, it's fairly staggering.

Anyway...

Jon Snow's happy GoT ending explained
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    And why would anyone still be supporting Dany after what she did to Kings Landing and promised to do to the res of Westeros? Did that council not have that conversation? Like hell Yara would support her after that.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post

Fail!
    Why fail? Eunuchs don't have balls, but their dicks are still there and they can still have erections, have sex and ejaculate (but without sperm). I know all this because my husband wrote a thesis on chinese eunuchs. Anthropology, yay!

I won't even begin to comment on the ending, because it just doesn't fit with what I've read in the first 4 books. Too many missing pieces, everything is rushed, the main antagonists defeated 4 episodes too early and then completely ignored, plot holes like it's sinkhole season and god, it was boring. To be honest, after 15 years of wait I don't even care about it anymore. In my dreamworld Melisandre is queen of the world, Cthulhu has risen from the sea summoned by Aeron and Patchface, Sansa has formed an alliance with the Greyjoys and Daenerys never made it to Westeros.
    Last edited by Bloody Grace; 05-22-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

oh, I dind´t know that...

But they made a point of him not being able to sleep with Missandei, there was an oral sex scene and everything. Sometimes both are removed.

Eta: "[...] the Unsullied: both their testicles and penis shaft are removed when they are no more than five years old."
    Last edited by fluteoftheloon; 05-22-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Alternative ending. Gah. doing this on my phone sucks. Hopefully can hear the audio.

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/st...593783296?s=20
    Last edited by MTC; 05-22-2019 at 09:42 PM.

I think I'm going to miss having discussions in the thread as much as I'm going to miss this show.

ETA: I just re-read the first page of this thread. How excited everyone was!
    Last edited by MTC; 05-22-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Thumbs up Dat finale, y'all. . .

Late to the party, but here are my thoughts on the finale. (TL;DR = B+)

* Tyrion finding his siblings in the rubble. It's like the creators knew the fans were gonna be speculating they could've somehow survived. I've never been team Lannister, so that really didn't resonate with me emotionally, but it was a scene those characters deserved.

* The new small council. I was so happy to see those characters running shit.

* I've a friend who is really upset about Daeny's turn. (Like major upset.) However, I think Tyrion explained how she was able to burn KL to Jon (and the audience that hadn't figured it out yet) how she was able to do this quite convincingly.

* The moment Jon realizes he has to kill Daeny. Bigtime feels.
    * All the shots w/ Jon and Drogon. That scene were Drogon's just staring Jon down before he enters the throne room is gonna be my new wallpaper.

* I remember back in S4 after the Red Wedding when the meme was going around with the Stark kids and family with the picture of them from S1E1 and how they'd never see each other again. True, but the surviving kids of Ned & Cat Stark are shaping the future of the country in a way no other family ever really has. That ending montage was pretty great.

* The fact they knew Jon stabbed Daeny in the heart means he must've confessed. Jon being Jon. Character consistency. #YKNJS4Life.

* Ghost FINALLY gets his "goodboi" pat and nuzzle!

Dislikes:

* Where the Dothraki at, yo!?! Like zero mention or site of them after that opening speech by Daeny. Did they ship back to Essos? Head south to raid Dorne & Highgarden? It should have at least been brought up in that small council meeting.

*Greyworm not fighting until the death. Him taking Jon hostage and just not fighting until the last soldier down seemed outta character for him. Why bother with that scene executing the prisoners establishing he carries out Daeny's orders no matter what if he's just gonna let Jon live after confessing to killing his queen?

* King Bran & Queen Sansa. I like that they both got crowns, so these are more likes with an asterisk. The way they got the crowns was waaay too convenient. The other kingdoms are just going to settle on the North getting independence without a peep? Don't get me wrong, I think Sansa had a great argument for independence since the North basically saved Westeros from the doom of the Night King. However, there is a good counterargument that if Bran is the King of Westeros then he's technically the king of the North. So why the need for independence? And Bran told Tryrion back in S8E4 that he didn't want to rule, he was all past, not really a man--how the fuck can this be the person to lead the country into the future if that's all true?

I thought Bran saying, "Why do you think I came all this way?" was creepy... As he has such magical power, he would have been able to influence everyone to ultimately get himself installed as king. His comment to Tyrion about not wanting it could have been said precisely to manipulate Tyrion into promoting Bran as king.

Then there's the whole Jon Snow resurrected as a fire wight / Bran probably being the Lord of Light... All of which is supposition... It's forcing me to start reading the books, as I'm quite sure in the end all of this will be explained in much more detail in that medium!