Thread: SOTW: I Think I'm A Mother

SOTW: I Think I'm A Mother

Lyrics:

I Think I'm a Mother is one of the most enigmatic songs in Polly's catalog. It took a while to grow on me but it's slowly becoming one of my favorites on To Bring You My Love. Her guitar work on this track is amazing, super simple, but absolutely menacing. Her lower vocals are probably some of my favorite on the album. This sound (utilized on Catherine, Working for the Man, Electric Light etc.. as well) should make a comeback on future albums.

As far as lyrical content I'm still trying to figure it out. I get pleasure from thinking it's about a momma's boy but it probably has a deeper meaning.

Live Versions:

Great version from Kentish Town Forum, 1995:

Sessions at..., 1999:

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Have no clue where exactly this is from, but it's my favorite version;
    http://www.mediafire.com/?k2f16fk9i1cq1et

"I Think I'm A Mother" is probably my favorite song from To Bring You My Love. I love how the lyrics roll off Polly's tongue. And just the overall mood is spooky to me. I love it!

count me in. love this song long time.

Though it wasn't an immediate grabber. The first time I saw that Sessions at West 54 performance, I thought for sure she had to be using some type of artificial vocal manipulation to get down that low. little did I know.

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    Love the Sessions at West 54 version, although the guitar at the end is kind of ridiculous.

This song borrows lyrics from Captain Beefheart's "Dropout Boogie", although I don't really see a deep connection between the two. I guess you could say the lyrics are a response to Beefheart, with PJ creating another chapter in the story. But Dropout Boogie is just good psychedelic pop, nothing intense, and ITIAM sounds like a creepy scene from a horror movie. "Give me your mother"?

Yes, I wouldn't call Dropout Boogie an inspiration fueling a conversation carried out through song, so much as a starting point from which she created a different kind of story, with a different mood, tone, etc.

Speaking of Beefheart, kind of disappointing they didn't linger on his image and throw up a musical sample for him during the Grammy's last night. But that's the way those death tribute segments go.. they speed through them like even 6 seconds would be too long for any individual artist.