Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Brandi Carlile Thread

The Brandi Carlile Thread

Brandi's in the studio as of yesterday to work on a new album - seems so soon, but I'm not complaining!

She's also touring as an opener for Ray LaMontagne. Exciting, but don't think I can afford the $50 ticket She mentions some headline shows coming up, so maybe I'll wait and hope they're a little cheaper.

They'll eat your baby cat! Peter Z's Avatar
    They have a bunch of new material, though, since a lot of Give Up the Ghost was written way before the album came out. Can't wait to hear what they come up with this time-- the XOBC (EP) material is totally aces.

Not too pleased about the Ray LaMontagne tour, though. Something I found last tour was that Brandi was vocally exhausted on many legs, because they toured CONSTANTLY. I think she could use a longer break, but hey. She's getting some major success, so who am I to stand in her way?

I had the distinct pleasure of interviewing Brandi for Glide Magazine about her upcoming record with the Seattle Symphony. We ended up talking about tons of other stuff, from her old demos to the new record she's already recorded. I hope you like it! She is such an amazing lady.

http://www.glidemagazine.com/article...sing-star.html

I just got into her last year ... strangely enough, from an American Idol contestant who covered "The Story." I had never heard the song before, thought it was beautiful, and checked the original out. I was soon hooked.

She has an exquisite voice. I only have her first two albums--should I check out the third?

I'm not normally too excited about live albums, but hearing her with a symphony sounds amazing. I saw her open up for Sheryl Crow last spring, and she was wonderful. I'm particularly excited to hear "Forever Young."

The third album, as a whole, is probably her weakest, but that's not saying much bad about it, and you should definitely pick it up (or just pick up the symphony show - it's mostly very good and contains a good portion of the 3rd album, with Dying Day and That Year the most notable omissions). The only "miss" for me in the live album is Sixty Years On. It's ok, but the starker version on the self-titled re-release is one of my favorite things ever.

I would definitely pick up the XOBC EP on iTunes. A couple covers and some wonderful new originals.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
    I had the distinct pleasure of interviewing Brandi for Glide Magazine about her upcoming record with the Seattle Symphony. We ended up talking about tons of other stuff, from her old demos to the new record she's already recorded. I hope you like it! She is such an amazing lady.

http://www.glidemagazine.com/article...sing-star.html
    Great interview (although I have to admit the lyrics to the self-titled didn't seem below-par to me!) Great question about people covering her songs - when the Adele cover came out I wondered what that would be like on Brandi's end.

Very good news about the new album. I can't believe it's all recorded already! Wonder if we'll see it in 2011 or if they'll hold off for 2012 to get some distance from the live album? I know the Indigo Girls are working on a new album too - I wonder if their collabs were for their album, Brandi's or a mix?

Love Brandi! I saw her twice in a year. The first concert was one of the best shows I've seen. The second, months later, not so great. I can't really put my finger on it. I also thought it was weird that she said some identical small-talk and jokes with the audience- I didn't realize it was part of her act the first time.

Lo, when did you see her? I think the tour to support Give Up the Ghost got pretty ragged at the end. I saw her five times that tour, and one of them was the major Petaluma show that she had to cancel, which up to that point was a real rarity for Brandi. The first three shows were beyond brilliant, and the last two she sounded tired and stressed. I think that tour went on 1-2 legs too long. Just my 2 cents.

Nick, I find the lyrics to the first album earnest but altogether pretty sophomoric. I don't think they're bad-- I wasn't saying that, just that they aren't very refined. But that makes sense, because they hadn't played a bunch of shows so they probably didn't have tons of feedback. I mean, listen to Turpentine or Before it Breaks or Way to You next to so much of that first album. I love love love the songs on BC, but I just don't find them as profound. But that's my personal opinion.

And sleeptheclock-- I think the 3rd album is DEFINITELY worth the listen! It contains a lot of my favorite Brandi songs (That Year, DYING DAY, Pride & Joy, Looking Out, Touching the Ground, BEFORE IT BREAKS). There are a few misses (Oh Dear, If There Was No You), but I generally enjoy them regardless.

The symphony record is heartbreakingly good, if you ask me. I think it's so stark and lovely. I listened to it in the car for the first time today (all other listens were on headphones) and it blew me away. Especially "Forever Young." Wow.

I will say, no song benefitted as much for me in a live setting as much as That Year. It was among my early "duds" on GUtG, then I saw it in concert and I finally "got" it. Her voice in the choruses ("you could have taken some time away / instead of a long drop / instead of a leap of faith") is perfection. I agree with your "misses" though - Oh Dear and If There Was No You have never made it into heavy rotation for me.

I do wish they'd included Dying Day on the live album, since it's kind of the universal highlight of GUtG, but I don't even know if they ever did a full plugged-in performance of it. Did they? The shows I saw and heard about, it was acoustic w/ no mics, etc. I also kind of wish they'd used their version of "Let It Be" to show off the twins' vocals a bit. But that's just selfishness, because I've never really liked Sound Of Silence in general. Forever Young is brilliant, though.

They did Dying Day acoustic but plugged a few times-- for press stuff (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYpYe-LfXkE). But in concert, it was pretty much always completely unplugged.

I know they did perform it the night that the live album was recorded; however, it wasn't with the symphony. They did a short 5 song or so set before the Symphony joined. But I'm not sure how it was done....

It worked out great un-plugged in NY, but my friend in Philly said she was looking forward to the song (her favorite from GUtG) and then when they finally got to it she could... kind of partially hear it. Hopefully next tour they keep it plugged in, just for something different!

Yeah, definitely. I think it worked for that time in her life-- for that tour, especially. I loved how they would open with Oh Dear around one microphone and a little ukulele. The show seemed so focused on the visceral power of raw harmony, moreso than I'd seen in the past.

If we were to make a 16 song setlist for this new tour, what would you like to see?

Here is my dream setlist for the show this weekend.... I'll put it under spoilers though so it doesn't take up so much space.

Let's see, I'd go with something like...

Looks like someone loves The Story !!

Question--Is the cover of "Forever Young" only on the iTunes version?

On Amazon.com and her own website, the song is not listed on the tracklist for the physical CD.