Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: The Brandi Carlile Thread

Absolutely her best album since Give Up The Ghost from 2009, but honestly this is becoming one of my favorites from her.

I think I still love the songs from the self-titled and The Story the most (and I go back to the live symphony album a lot - those covers of Hallelujah and Sixty Years On!!), but the production on this one is top-notch. I thought Firewatcher's Daughter was excellent in that regard as well, though, but this one will probably edge into third. Most Of All is gorgeous.

Saw the first NYC show on Thursday and she was amazing as usual; they played the whole new album and it's really spectacular live (though I would have loved a couple more oldies too). The string quartet was with them and really elevated everything they played on. That girl (and those twins) never fails to impress.

Holy crap did she kill it at the Grammy's tonight. Her new duet with Maren Morris also came out this week. She didn't win the big prizes (though happily she swept the Americana categories) but she's on top of the world right now.

She was incredible at the Grammys. Honestly, that performance will hopefully be a nice boost for her career.

Apparently, in addition to a big tour (including a jump from The Beacon Theater to Madison Square Garden), she also has the duet with Maren Morris out now, is opening two shows for Heart on their just-announced tour, joining Amanda Shires and unknown other members for a supergroup called The Highwaywomen (an ode to The Highwaymen) supposedly recording in March, AND she and the twins wrote most of and are producing a "comeback" album for Tanya Tucker. And of course Brandi's festival in Mexico just wrapped up last week. I love the extra visibility, but I doubt she even has capacity for anything else! Super happy for all her success. She outclassed everyone on that stage last night, and I just about melted when she revealed what calmed her down during the performance:

“I was just so overwhelmed. I was so grateful. To the twins and for my family. I got out there and was so friggin’ nervous, as I am sure you could imagine that I would be, I don’t think I have ever done anything to that magnitude,” Brandi said to the group. “I looked out in the audience and I saw one person standing up looking at me with total peace on her face and it was Janelle Monáe. It really touched me and I lost all my nervousness and I sang to her, and everyone else rose and I don’t think I will ever forget that!”

Wow, she's busy!

I thought the Grammys were surprisingly good--the best in eons--and that Alicia Keys was a wonderful host. It's funny to think that Brandi Carlile is an artist who can perform at Madison Square Garden but she's not exactly a household name--she really is exceptional live. If the Grammys had the pull they once did, her performance Sunday night would have made her a star, and her album would leap up the charts.

I’m just getting into Brandi and only know a couple songs at this point (The Joke, The Story, The Eye and Cannonball).

Does anyone have an intro to Brandi playlist or a top 10 favorites list to share?

Hmm, if I was putting together an intro (omitting the songs you already know), I'd do this:

What Can I Say
    Closer To You
    Turpentine
    Late Morning Lullaby
    Dying Day
    That Year
    Keep Your Heart Young
    Wherever Is Your Heart
    The Things I Regret
    Most Of All

That's not necessarily my 10 favorites, but there's certainly quite a bit of overlap! I also love her covers, especially the studio and live versions of Sixty Years On.

^ thank you @Nick! Excited to listen.

I'm a casual fan. My top tracks are

Harder to Forgive
    Mainstream Kid
    Wherever Is Your Heart
    The Things I Regret

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    This whole album is her best, in my opinion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandi_Carlile_(album)

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Can we talk about how GLORIOUSLY PERFECT Brandi's live cover of Joni's "Down To You"is, from the Joni 75 concert? I can't handle it.

After letting a few pass me by on Discogs, I finally bit the bullet and splurged on a physical copy of Brandi's first album; it's understandable why she distances herself from it, but I also don't think it's that bad, and there are some good tracks among the few that never got reused on future albums. It's definitely an upgrade on the crappy MP3 copy I had before!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Brandi posted the singer/songwriter chart on her IG for this week and the top 5 artists were all women.
    Patty Griffin was in first and I think Brandi was in third, Maren Morris was in there and AfP was five. She said something like "What an awesome group to be in."
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.