Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Brandi Carlile Thread

Ugh totally forgot to buy tickets this morning, so ended up with totally overpriced balcony seats, but did manage to snag some tix for her Solo Acoustic show in NY this November. Overpaid, but it could/should be a special night. I'm still wondering when the album will come out though - they have tours booked up til the end of the year so I'm not sure when they'd get around to promo, etc.

aww, I forgot too. I have to decide if I want to gamble and wait til the last minute or just grab a ticket now.

They'll eat your baby cat! Peter Z's Avatar
    We aren't going to get the album until spring 2012-- from "unofficial" talks i've had with people in her camp.

This solo acoustic tour is going to be AMAZING though. If it didn't conflict with Tori tour, I'd be doing more than just the Santa Cruz show.

Aww bummer, although they may want to ride the live album a bit longer, and it still doesn't feel like that long since GUtG anyway. I'm getting spoiled enough this year, so I guess I can wait until 2012. dying to hear it all though.

Has anyone been to Town Hall in NYC? I'm wondering if $50 balcony seats were a bad investment. There was only one pricing option, so maybe they're all good seats?

I think there's a good chance that orchestra seats will pop up as the date nears, but I also think Town Hall is small enough that you shouldn't stress

I'm interviewing Allison Miller tonight before the Brandi show (opening for Ray LaMontagne) in LA this afternoon. I want to focus on her work as the Boom Tic Boom quartet (w/ Todd Sickafoose on bass, Myra Melford on piano and Jenny Scheinman on violin), as I think it's one of the most intriguing jazz albums to come out in recent memory. I also want to discuss her work with Natalie Merchant, Peter Gabriel and Ani DiFranco, because they seem almost like side-projects next to her jazz career.... simply because her drumming on Boom Tic Boom is so melodic AND rhythmic, tackling difficult meter(s) and balancing percussiveness with restraint. It's clear she's more invested in jazz (since it is her solo project), so I also want to investigate how she's been so entrenched in the folk/Americana world.

Any questions you guys think I should ask to supplement what I have? (Nick + Andy, I'm looking at you! )

Oops, missed the boat here, but hope Brandi was a great night!

In the hall at Town Hall waiting for the solo acoustic show to start; can't wait for her to come on (literally, I can barely wait, I'm getting sleepy)

OMG I cannot wait to hear the setlist and your review, Nick!

Well I really did enjoy the show; her voice was in great form and the song selection was great, although I can think of a few tracks I would have loved to hear that didn't make it into the setlist. I do appreciate, though, that she had (at least she claimed to have) gone through recent NYC setlists to make sure she played some things we hadn't gotten the last few times around.

I always find her stage presence very impressive. In fact, I can't imagine any guy or girl not leaving with a total crush on her, as she's endearingly funny, self-deprecating, quick-witted, etc. And even though some of the banter is rehearsed, I do always get the sense that she is very genuinely appreciative of her audience and her career, which I really believe adds to her show in a subtle but important way.

That said, there were times I feel like just a single acoustic guitar wasn't enough of a match for her voice. The venue, though the acoustics were nice, was a little cold to me (emotionally, that is; it was sweltering temperature-wise). I don't know if the surround speakers were even on, since all the sound seemed to be coming from the front, which made me feel more distant than I was from the music. I was in the balcony, though, so maybe it was better on the floor?

The only other downside was, and I know I seem to write this every time I go to a show, but I must have killed bunnies in a past life because I am ALWAYS next to horrible people. The girl next to me was in tears by the end of the Secret Sisters opening set and didn't let up all night, except to loudly snort up the ocean of sniffles her crying had created. Most annoyingly of all, she felt obliged to sing along through her tears, at full speaking volume in her choir-voice. With every song. At an intimate acoustic show. I don't understand how people can be so horrible and self-absorbed; it really distracted me from the performance.

Anyway, this is getting overlong, but I will say it was a very confident performance and I'm glad I went. That Year, which I barely ever listen to on the album, was stunning live. She did a great version of Downpour at the piano that she explained was closer to her original version before it was produced somewhat differently for The Story. All the standard acoustic-without-microphone/Turpentine sing-a-long schtick was included, but I still enjoy both of those gimmicks. Full set in spoiler tag below with an asterisk on my favorites!

Last edited by Nick; 11-08-2011 at 03:11 PM.

I was at the show last night, too. It was the best I've heard Brandi's voice in a long time. Downpour had me in tears. It's been a long time since I've heard it live and it's probably my favorite on The Story. Crazy was gorgeous. I liked that she mixed it up a lot.
    Sound is the blood between me and you

Crazy is a song I've heard a million times and never connected with, until last night. Her vocal performance on it was just jaw-dropping.

"Big announcement" on her website Monday; the clue is "K Records" so I'm assuming new label for her and the twins, and some long awaited new album news... Finally!

June 5!

June 5 will mark the release of Bear Creek, Brandi's fourth studio album!! The album, which was recorded at Bear Creek Studios outside of Seattle, was co-produced by Brandi and The Twins (along with Trina Shoemaker). The first single, "That Wasn't Me," will be headed to radio soon so keep your ears open for it!

Here is the track listing for the album:

1 - Hard Way Home
    2 - Raise Hell
    3 - Save Part Of Yourself
    4 - That Wasn't Me
    5 - Keep Your Heart Young
    6 - 100
    7 - A Promise To Keep
    8 - I'll Still Be There
    9 - What Did I Ever Come Here For
    10 - Heart's Content
    11 - Rise Again
    12 - In The Morrow
    13 - Just Kids

You can now listen to her new single, "That Wasn't Me," on Spotify!

http://open.spotify.com/track/2l1zQCCLwSa7R7GUgNJnlX

UM I LOVE IT