Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External hard drive crashed and burned

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar

Thumbs down External hard drive crashed and burned

There's nothing you can do. I just want to come in here and cry a bit.

All photos, financial records, everything....trapped inside a useless piece of plastic. Going to have send it out to see what can be retrieved and it's going to cost us big. I'm freaking out because I have no idea who could be looking at all this stuff while trying to recover it and worried about identity theft, etc. I'm just sick about it.

USB device has malfunctioned.
    Windows does not recognize.
    Device driver software was not successfully installed.
    Unknown device.
    Device not recognized.

We tried all kinds of things just to see if we could get the most important things off it. Nothing worked and we have exactly one day left on our warranty. Doesn't cover data retrieval though.

Just...ugh. *cries*
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Are you able to remove the drive from the casing and put directly into the pc? It may be the controller and not the actual drive failing.

I'm so sorry...

I lost all my recent files a week ago in my regular hard drive. I feel your pain.

it pissed me off so much, I took store credit and picked up a macbook. I'm still not over it. I've had pc's do this to me before but this time it really hurt.

but I agree with the above post. your stuff could still be all on there but not reachable in it's current form. that could have been my situation too.
    Last edited by pan; 03-19-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Dang thing is still under warranty so we had to send it out. Supposed to see if the data can be retrieved and put on a new drive for us.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

When this has happened to me, I have simply wrenched the enclosure apart (thereby voiding my warranty) and placed the drive in a new enclosure, whereupon it works properly. I'd consider backing up your backup ... that way you'll never be in a position where your only copy of your data has to be sent out to be recovered.

Does anyone have any recommendations on external hard drives? I want one to put all my music on but i'm scared about losing data and hours of transfer time. You would think that external hard drives would be more reliable considering what they are made for but I keep reading horror stories.

Buy a hard drive and an enclosure separately. That way, when the enclosure craps out, you can simply replace it. My experience has been that hard drives are far less likely to fail than the enclosures in which they're housed.

Also, you should copy your music from source to destination instead of moving it. Two is one and one is none, I always say.

I have all my photos and music backed up to an external hard drive that I've had for YEARS. I only use it for backup/retrieval purposes, and so far, so good *crosses fingers*. It contains an exact copy (give or take a few months) of the images/music on my computer. I'm not sure how much farther I need to take it (like, do I need ANOTHER backup?), but having the external drive makes me feel good. I highly recommend having an external hard drive that is used ONLY for backup/retrieval - 99.9% of the time, mine is put away.

I don't know much about failing hard drives, except it sucks and it's nice to have a boyfriend who is a network administrator. When my last drive started failing, he was a huge help and I didn't lose a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
    [snip] I'm not sure how much farther I need to take it (like, do I need ANOTHER backup?), but having the external drive makes me feel good. I highly recommend having an external hard drive that is used ONLY for backup/retrieval - 99.9% of the time, mine is put away.[/snip]
    One is enough, unless you are as paranoid as I am. Having two hard drives fail simultaneously is very unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by ej View Post
    One is enough, unless you are as paranoid as I am. Having two hard drives fail simultaneously is very unlikely.
    I have three copies of all my music.

P.S. Did you notice that this was a necro bump when the bumper, Paper Tiger, should have made a new thread?
    It doesn't work the way I want it to, so it must be bugged.
    www.wowpedia.org/User:Egingell
    wow.curse.com/members/egingell.aspx

Oh, external drives. I think my Western Digital has just bit the dust. My computer stopped recognizing it completely a few days ago, followed by an error stating it was now read only, becoming fully unreadable. I'm currently running a disc repair to see if it will do anything, but I'm certain I'll be making a new purchase within the next few days. I'll be moving in a few weeks and my computer will go on a moving truck, so I need to make sure that I have a safe back-up. I'm having somewhat of a difficult time finding a new external. It needs to be Mac compatible (preferably working with Time Machine), Firewire 800 and either 2 or 3TB.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on a brand/model? Western Digitals seem to be the most popular and economical, but I don't want another one. I was looking at the G-Tech and Time Capsule, which have fantastic reviews, but I don't have that kind of money to throw down right now. I also looked at the Seagate GoFlex for Mac, but the reviews are far too 50/50 for my liking. Am I being too picky?

As far as I know, all hard drives are compatible with PC and Mac, and most other hardware. As long as it'll plug in (SATA, IDE, USB, FireWire, etc.), it should work. Also, if you want to be able to manipulate the files on both PC and Mac, it must be FAT32 formatted.

Disclaimer: This post was posted in Computers and Technology...

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    I'm going to jump on this thread too and ask my own question, since the title reminded me I've been meaning to ask. A few weeks ago, my computer stopped recognizing my external. But it hasn't given me any kind of read-only error; it simply doesn't know it's there anymore. Does anyone know if it might still be fixable without losing all my files, or am I screwed? If it's fixable, is it horribly expensive? I don't have anything irreplaceable on there. Just a lot of music I'd have to re-acquire, which is a big pain, but I'll still take that over spending lots of money on a repair.

Lord Raven - Apparently, some drives are PC only, but I don't think I would get one just to test it out. Whatever I end up buying will be brought to me via family before I move, so I want to make sure that it's problem free.

stillorbiting - I can't answer your question, but my currently HD starting disappearing from my computer quite awhile ago, but would usually reappear when I restarted. I don't think it's a good sign, regardless. Have you tried using it with anyone else's computer just to make sure it's not on your end?

Depending on the enclosure, you may be able to just replace the drive itself, even if it's one of those Western Digital Passports (there's a standard 2.5 inch SATA hard drive in there).

Disclaimer: This post was posted in Computers and Technology...