Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinéad O'Connor

yes - even if you don't listen to anything else, you should hear I Do Not Want...

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Jeez, I think a playlist is in order

^ By all means, do!

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    If I was to pick a best-of CD type playlist leaving out Lion & The Cobra tracks, I'd probably go for:
    Roughly chronologically, but not really.
    1. Feel So Different
    2. The Last Day Of Our Acquaintance
    3. You Cause As Much Sorrow
    4. Success Has Made A Failure Of Our Home
    5. Fire On Babylon
    6. John, I Love You
    7. You Made Me The Thief Of Your Heart
    8. Lullaby For Cain (Gabriel Yared - Talented Mr Ripley soundtrack)
    9. This Is A Rebel Song
    10. The Foggy Dew (with The Chieftans)
    11. Release (Afro Celts feat. Sinad O'Connor)
    12. Daddy I'm Fine
    13. Hold Back The Night
    14. 'Til I Whisper You Something.
    15. Sacrifice (elton john cover. stunning)

Which umm, kinda leaves out anything she did post "faith and courage", but I wasn't a major fan of Sean Ns Nua, or Theology, or whatever else there was then.

And you should check out Famine. Which friends of mine did "performance poetry style" at houseparties a few times. It's epic, and awful, and brilliant, and the best/worst thing she's ever done.

My post-The Lion and the Cobra playlist would look something like this:

1. Feels So Different
    2. Three Babies
    3. The Last Day of Our Acquaintance
    4. My Special Child
    5. Mind Games (on the deluxe 2-disc edition of IDNW ...)
    6. Success Has Made a Failure of Our Home
    7. Gloomy Sunday
    8. Fire on Babylon
    9. John, I Love You
    10. In This Heart
    11. This Is to Mother You
    12. This Is a Rebel Song
    13. Jealous
    14. Oro Se Do Bheatha Bhaile
    15. Big Bunch of Junkie Lies
    16. Sacrifice
    17. You Made Me the Thief of Your Heart
    18. You Make Me Feel So Free
    19. Release (with Afro Celt Sound System)
    20. Lullabye for Cain
    21. The Butcher Boy

Lots of overlap!

I will say ... I'd LOVE a remaster of The Lion and the Cobra. That album could really use a sonic upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by obsceno pajaro View Post
    Saw her in concert this Wednesday. It was amazing. She sang three new songs - Reason With Me, The Wolf is Getting Married, and VIP, burst out crying while performing If You Ever, told many stories and what she did with I Am Stretched On Your Grave was chilling. One of the best shows I've been to.
    Oh man, I'm green with envy!

^ I love that both of the post-Cobra playlists include tracks from Gospel Oak - it's probably my most listened Sinead "record" over the long term, but where's the love for Throw Down Your Arms?!
    Von Herzen möge es wieder zu Herzen gehn'

^ never listened to it all the way! I've just tried but it hurt my head too much!

I'd add to ebby and sleeptheclock's lists:

What Doesn't Belong to Me
    Hold Back the Night
    Black Boys On Mopeds
    You Cause As Much Sorrow
    Singing Bird
    Emma's Song
    My Darling Child
    Thank You for Hearing Me
    If You Had A Vineyard - it's the only theology one I like, mainly for the (Oh that my eyes were a fountain of tears/ that I might weep for my poor people... background vocals - send shivers!)

^

I like "Black Boys on Mopeds" a lot, too. And I thought of including "Thank You For Hearing Me" on my list.

I have to be honest ... I'm not a fan of reggae music. I heard her stab at it was very respectable, but it just didn't interest me. And I thought Theology was pretty awful, and her voice didn't sound all that good on it. Here's hoping the next one is better.

I have never heard of "My Darling Child." That is a different song from "My Special Child," I take it? What is it from?

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Review of Manchester show in The Observer (4/5)

You might say Sinad O'Connor has an obsession with the Pope. In 1992, she tore his picture in half on Saturday Night Live. Here, she opens a three-night Manchester international festival residency with the harrowing Take Off Your Shoes, her latest assault on the Vatican. Cheekily, she admits that she can't resist dedicating The Last Day of Our Acquaintance to you-know-who: "He deserves it."

Otherwise, this is a very different O'Connor from the shaven-headed rebel who has thrice retired from music, and declared herself lesbian, then decided she prefers "hairy blokes". A trouser-suited mother of four with a wavy bob, she is initially so nervous she is shaking, but relaxes after quipping, "This is dedicated to the woman who ditched Wotsisface [Hugh Hefner] from the Playboy house," she shrieks. As for sex with Hef? "I'd rather be a monk!"

The house erupts, but moments later is stunned by a glasscutter a capella of 1990's I Am Stretched on Your Grave. The residency also premieres the 44-year-old's forthcoming comeback album, Home. With a great band and a guitar "that will wake the focken dead", VIP catchily blasts pop stars who "get their picture taken with the Pope" – yes, him again. Reason With Me is a stunningly beautiful, empathic song about addiction.

The classic Nothing Compares 2 U sounds like she is singing it for the first time, not the 400th. Motherhood and treatment for bipolar disorder hasn't dulled her intensity, but she's having fun, whether joking about her succession of boyfriends and husbands, or revealing that her youngest has nicknamed her "the pot-bellied pig".

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    ^

I like "Black Boys on Mopeds" a lot, too. And I thought of including "Thank You For Hearing Me" on my list.

I have to be honest ... I'm not a fan of reggae music. I heard her stab at it was very respectable, but it just didn't interest me. And I thought Theology was pretty awful, and her voice didn't sound all that good on it. Here's hoping the next one is better.

I have never heard of "My Darling Child." That is a different song from "My Special Child," I take it? What is it from?
    My Darling Child is off of Universal Mother and I'll add another to my list after last night: Tiny Grief Song. It was just amazing.

I didn't think she was nervous necessarily - she was really funny though!!!! Especially the bit about the eyes of her (already ex-??) most recent husband. I did think the song (put on my pink dress, going to get married, he's got the most beautiful eyes) was pretty terrible, so the little addition that she has to change the eye colour and is not sure what to, kind of made up for it.

I found it interesting, especially with all the other discussions of Tori and her vocals at the moment, that the same might be said for Sinead. She had moments of greatness, such as Stretched on your Grave, but others (most notable Nothing Compares 2U) were a bit weak. A lot of Faith and Courage last night, and not the tracks I listen to but I was humming Jealous all morning. I do think the album was way too overproduced but I will revisit! I will also add Jeremiah (Something Beautiful) to my list as it was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    ^

My Darling Child is off of Universal Mother and I'll add another to my list after last night: Tiny Grief Song. It was just amazing.

I didn't think she was nervous necessarily - she was really funny though!!!! Especially the bit about the eyes of her (already ex-??) most recent husband. I did think the song (put on my pink dress, going to get married, he's got the most beautiful eyes) was pretty terrible, so the little addition that she has to change the eye colour and is not sure what to, kind of made up for it.

I found it interesting, especially with all the other discussions of Tori and her vocals at the moment, that the same might be said for Sinead. She had moments of greatness, such as Stretched on your Grave, but others (most notable Nothing Compares 2U) were a bit weak. A lot of Faith and Courage last night, and not the tracks I listen to but I was humming Jealous all morning. I do think the album was way too overproduced but I will revisit! I will also add Jeremiah (Something Beautiful) to my list as it was nice.

No Man's Woman and Jealous! Wow

It was a very good setlist IMO

Shit! I found this:

You can see the setlist in the comments. It's a little different, with more songs from Universal Mother (Red Football, A Perfect Indian...). She needs to sing Scorn not his simplicity and Fire on Babylon live again
    Last edited by Meowth; 07-03-2011 at 11:59 PM.

She sounds great. Sad to see her avoiding some of the harder notes, but I get it. She's not 25 anymore.

So is she with child, or just getting pudgy & in an unflattering dress?

Also, anyone know why she was crying before John, I Love You?

Sinead is taking antidepressants (and went off them because she got overweight) but is back on them now and is gaining weight again. I'm not sure why she cried, but probably because of the medication she's on (or off) and because her marriage recently ended. I don't know the exact details, but in interviews she has stated that people started calling her fat and that is why she stopped taking medication for her depression (which she went on Oprah a year or two ago to talk about, I'm sure the interview is online somewhere...).
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak