Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: The entertainment industry's unstoppable bullshit machine

Quote Originally Posted by WesternLad View Post
    So if it was your friend who was being accused and you believed he was innocent what would you do in this situation?
    I've been in that situation. Of course I didn't want to believe a friend of mine committed sexual assault. But you don't dismiss the victim just because you don't want to believe it. Did you miss the part where she tweeted "women don't lie about rape"? Don't you think every accused person has friends that have a hard time coming to terms with the accusations?

And how would YOU feel if you finally worked up the courage to come forward in a very public way to call out your rapist and your claims were dismissed by two famous women because they didn't want to believe their cool, feminist male friend was capable of rape?
    Last edited by plastic•husband; Yesterday at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I'm here to ruin all your faves today

to be fair, that's a gossip site, not a legit news site, but it's not pinging my fake-dar
    Would be much worse for me if it was Stannis or Tyrion. At this point I'm torn between being scared to check on this thread but also wanting to keep my ruined favs list updated.

(btw, I think you bolded the wrong part of that text. )

Eta: Dunham was raped herself in college, how she can defend a rapist just because he's a friend is beyond me.
    Last edited by fluteoftheloon; Yesterday at 01:36 PM.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plastic•husband View Post
    I've been in that situation. Of course I didn't want to believe a friend of mine committed sexual assault. But you don't dismiss the victim just because you don't want to believe it. Did you miss the part where she tweeted "women don't lie about rape"? Don't you think every accused person has friends that have a hard time coming to terms with the accusations?

And how would YOU feel if you finally worked up the courage to come forward in a very public way to call out your rapist and your claims were dismissed by two famous women because they didn't want to believe their cool, feminist male friend was capable of rape?
    Exactly! All rapists have friends, parents. Many have siblings, partners, children. No one wants to believe someone they love is capable of something like this. If your values only apply when it doesn't involve someone you know, they're worth nothing. It's especially hard to swallow from someone who is so on her high horse about this very issue.

What Louis C.K. did was horrible. It was not rape, and he admitted to it, so I realize the situation isn't a 1:1 comparison, but Sarah Silverman handled this issue beautifully, I think.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    So if it was your friend who was being accused and you believed he was innocent what would you do in this situation?
    That's literally one of the facets of rape culture. It's allowed to perpetuate because victims are disbelieved and/or blamed. Rape doesn't have higher false reportings than other crimes.

Yes, it doesn't have ZERO but everyone is convinced their personal fave is one of the fake ones. I guess all the "real rapes" must be someone else. It's one guy no one likes running around the country like a terrible Santa Claus, except 365 days a year.

Terrible people get away with terrible things because their terrible friends and family and peers and coworkers can't imagine they did it. And it has NOTHING to do with evidence, but willful blindness. People would rather attack a victim than to admit someone fooled them.

She doesn't have to drop him like a hot potato at this point, but she also doesn't need to write how she believes him, not because of any evidence (he was with me that night, eg) but out of loyalty only. She could wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by fluteoftheloon View Post
    (btw, I think you bolded the wrong part of that text. )
    I didn't want to gross anyone out more than I had to.

Eta: Dunham was raped herself in college, how she can defend a rapist just because he's a friend is beyond me.
    Maybe she wasn't. We should ask his friends.

Man, that Sarah Silverman video made me cry.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    That was a really beautiful way of handling complicated, sensitive, touchy and difficult emotions. Well done Silverman.

Oh man, I can't imagine finding out a close friend of mine did something like that. It's heartbreaking, and a side we are not talking about. It is possible to be a good friend and a good father and still be capable of this sort of thing. That's what no one talks about. It's so much easier to declare that someone is a monster than to deal with the fact that we are all capable of harm.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    At least this is a person we all already probably hate for a change

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Oh man, I can't imagine finding out a close friend of mine did something like that. It's heartbreaking, and a side we are not talking about. It is possible to be a good friend and a good father and still be capable of this sort of thing. That's what no one talks about. It's so much easier to declare that someone is a monster than to deal with the fact that we are all capable of harm.
    Yep. If you tell yourself they're monsters, not real men, not even human, you get to ignore the fact that they're your boyfriends, your husbands, your fathers, your brothers, your friends. It's so much easier than facing the truth. It's a total self-preservation move. I never had that because I was hurt by family pretty young so I knew that yes, your father, your brother is capable of this. But I understand it completely.

It's a great point to bring up because it's not just the predators that have work to do, or the people who react to immediately discredit or blame victims. I hope more people start talking about this. And I like what Sarah said about both things being true: I love this person and they did something terrible. Just because you care for someone doesn't mean you have to defend them or ignore the truth, and it's fine to be confused about how to process both things being true.

Sometimes women (and men) do lie about being raped. Not every single one of these cases we are hearing is necessarily true. Maybe they all are but we don’t know for sure.
    I'm just curious if you've ever posted here before under a different username? Like maybe, NUHN?

But if she genuinely believes he didn’t do it then in her eyes she is not defending a rapist.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    I'm just curious if you've ever posted here before under a different username? Like maybe, NUHN?
    I honestly have no idea who Nuhn is. I joined here because of Native Invader.

But if she genuinely believes he didn’t do it then in her eyes she is not defending a rapist.
    Seems like you're more interested in playing devil's advocate than actually listening and learning about how rape culture is perpetuated.