Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: UK Politics (General Thread)

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

The way there is always a parallel to current day politics in old Simpsons episodes is truly astonishing.

My polling card arrived today which makes a complete fucking disaster next month seem all the more inevitable. I live in a seat that has never not been Tory with a massive majority so will be voting Green to increase the national vote share of the party that is most closely aligned with my views - for all the good it will do.

ONSIND - Pokemon City Limits

Chelsea’s only memory of meeting her grandfather / Was Christmas ‘91 at a pub in Denby Dale / Going through the motions of an early family trip, distracted by her Gameboy chewing on her bottom lip / She couldn’t comprehend the nature of their stay / And in his youth he’d been formidable, but the sickness left him skeletal and frail.

As the grown-ups buried hatchets and did their best to make their peace / Chelsea was oblivious, blissfully at ease / Until the old man started ranting about LaMont and Hesseltine / And as the fire in his belly rose, it captured her attention for the first and only time / And he looked at her, and he gave her some advice / And it stuck with her, it was simple and precise.

He told her “Never trust a tory, they’ll betray you when it matters / They will scramble to the top and then they’ll kick away the ladder, hinny / Never trust a tory, or a tory in disguise,
    You can see it when you look them in the eye”

It’s been over twenty years since they put him in the ground / He died on Christmas day and looking back it’s really quite profound / How those words have stuck with her, how they’ve influenced her life / How they trace a track of lineage; a genealogy implied / And she knows it’s kind of cynical and tribal to think along those lines / But time and time again she’s seen the old fella proven right.

He told her “Never trust a tory, they’ll betray you when it matters / They will scramble to the top and then they’ll kick away the ladder, hinny / Never trust a tory, or a tory in disguise,
    You can see it when you look them in the eye”

So just make sure you look the bastard in the eye.
    Some wise words there.

Fuck the Tories. Fuck Brexit.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Ugh.

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/sta...977733123?s=08

Honestly if this David Brent shit works then I am giving up on politics altogether. I keep thinking to myself that he has over egged this and people will see how transparent it is... but then I am constantly reminded of how moronic people are when I see all the 'Back Boris' people on Facebook. The most I will allow myself to hope for is another hung parliament but even then I am erring on the side of pessimism because democracy is broken and people are fucking stupid.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    He sounds soooooo much like Trump. Wow. Same kind of talking points.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAE View Post
    https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/sta...977733123?s=08
    because democracy is broken and people are fucking stupid.
    Yes. Or you might say, democracy is broken because people are fucking stupid. The idea of democracy is really flawed. A majority of practically any group of people don't have sufficient experience, education, temperament, capabilities or understanding of what it takes to run an effective, healthy government; so what business do they have deciding what gets decided, or who decides?

I don't know if there's any other system that has been proven to be unilaterally "better" by my own definition of better. Ours are certainly prone to corruption. Ease of access to information has made it incredibly (and obviously) easy to spread misinformation; and every last fool has a megaphone blasting across the interwebz.

I voted Green, for all the good it will do around here, on the way to work.

I've got tomorrow off work so will stay up for as much of it as I can take. I have the required quantities of gin.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Currently trying to psychologically prepare myself for a Boris majority. I live in a DUP safe seat so I'm used to feeling hopeless and the inevitability of awfulness but I am so distressed about where our country is going to go from here.

We are catastrophically fucked. I have nothing insightful to add. I have gin to drink.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I am so sorry guys This is just terrible.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    This sucks. Sorry, brits.

Fuck everyone who voted for these fucking lizards.

So do we think Scotland and Northern Ireland will stay in the UK?

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beanstew View Post
    We are catastrophically fucked. I have nothing insightful to add. I have gin to drink.
    The night Trump was elected, and it was called fairly early on, my heart really and truly broke. It was a terrible, awful, sinking feeling. I went to bed speechless. I woke up speechless. Then I had to avoid news COMPLETELY for the first 18 months. I even remember crying at work to my boss once. Whatever the word for "serious disillusionment, except much, MUCH worse", is, that's where I'd landed. My impression of that time now is that for months and months following the election, there was a pervasive, palpable feeling of real despair shared by many Americans who are not completely fucking brain dead.

How long has it been? Like a thousand years?? (sigh) Anyway I'm mostly okay now. I do consume far less news than I used to, because American news is now full on reality television, and I can't mentally deal with the painfully, egregiously obvious joke that is the Trump/Republican/GOP circus act.

And I have kind of decided to take politics a bit less seriously in general. I've kind of built a wall around the part of my brain that is deeply disturbed by what is going on. I'm not proud of this - it's merely a survival tactic.

My point is, you will survive and live to tell the tale. It will get easier over time. But it won't be easy. Know that you're not alone. We across the Atlantic are similarly fucked.

These election results are so sad - I watched a lot of UK parliament sessions online over the last couple of month.
    I can't figure out why on earth someone like Johnson can be considered a trustworthy politician by so many voters.
    And I am so sad that Brexit is going to really happen - I believe in a united EU and this development with the UK is breaking my heart.