Page 211 of 211 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211
Results 3,151 to 3,158 of 3158

Thread: Lana Del Rey

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Really enjoyed my first listen.

Lana is painting the usual Lana-scenes, but these songs add a lot of critique to that world, and the world in general. Some stuff that stands out for me in that regard;
    When the World was At War; it has a nice soft dark guitar and an epic build up; lyrically it seems to be about political state that seems kind of hopeless. "Is it the end of an era, is it the end of America, no, oh It's only the beginning. If we hold on to hope we'll have a happy ending. When the world was at war before we just kept dancing."
    God Bless America - and all the beautiful women in it has a beat quite similar to Love; it also has plucks and strums on some Greek or zitherlike instrument. It has a slow build-up to transform itself into an epic song - typical Lana except for the lyrical content. It is a currently relevant -but timeless - song; about women standing united; "God bless America, and all the beautiful women in it, may you stand proud and strong. Like Lady Liberty shining all night long" - it is also about the critique one can receive as a person. "Take me as I am - Don't see me for what I am not." In Beautiful people, beautiful problems she paints the world from a (literal) bird point of view, adding critique to the usual imagery about "problems" in the first world. The world looks blue and green from above, and may we reign long, yes, but it "runs red with blood". Lana and Stevie's voices actually work great together. Then Heroin, soothing instrumental introduction tricks you into thinking you are back in "Honeymoon". describing another one of the famous LA scenes with clever words, starting in Topanga canyon. But then instantly throws you into some very, very dark material about addiction. "Topanga is hot tonight, the city by the bay has movie stars and liquor stores and soft decay.
    The rumbling from distant shores sends me to sleep but the facts of life can sometimes make it hard to dream."
    "And took your life away." The bridge is an explosion musically and vocally, adding to the sense of urgency. "Something 'bout this sun has made these kids get scary
    writing in blood on my walls and shit".

Cherry - this one I really love. "A touch from your real love
    It's like heaven taking the place of something evil
    And lettin' it burn off from the rush"
    Is this new Raveonettes material or is this Lust for Life? Only Jack Skeleton knows for certain. Dark beats, probably one of the darkest sounding songs she ever did, about the destructive side of love. The scene is painted with atmospheric elements that mix danger with beauty.
    "My cherries and wine, rosemary and thyme and all of my peaches are ruined, bitch.
    My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends
    And all my black beaches are ruined
    My celluloid scenes are torn at the seams and I fall to pieces (bitch)
    I fall to pieces when I'm with you."

Get Free is hopefully highly enjoyable for the Born to Die exclusive fans. It is upbeat and sounds really great, and lyrically; "Finally, I'm crossing the threshold from the ordinary world to the reveal of my heart. Undoubtedly, that will for certain take the dead out of the sea and the darkness from the arts" ...." There's no more chasing rainbows and hoping for an end to them, their arches are illusions, solid at first glance, but then you try to touch them there's nothing to hold on to - the colors used to lure you in and put you in a trance"
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Right, so this is a very different album than Honeymoon. And I love it for that!

It's one of the most diverse Lana has ever done, yet still very much her. I personally think there's not a single weak track on the album and it has none of the pacing issues that Ultraviolence or Honeymoon had. I guess people who loved Honeymoon might find this album to be too poppy.
    There's big beats like we had on Btd yet not as hip-hop-ish.There's slow ballads yet this time around they sound a bit more folky (quite a bit of Piano), the duet with Sean Ono Lennon in particular. Lyrics-wise, it also offers much more than just the Lana tropes. It's nowhere near as much hipster/mistress-on-the-side/badgirl/hollywood/drama as Honeymoon. I wouldn't call it her political album but she definitely has some stuff to say, in her own way of course.

Some of these tracks are (imo) instant classics. Besides the stuff we already know, these would be my highlights:

13 beaches is glorious, glorious, glorious and maybe the best track on the album, one of her best songs even.
    God Bless America's chorus simply soars (*bang bang*)
    Heroin is classic dark Lana and (like Spikey said) delivers an amazing bridge.
    Change is a lovely piano ballad (that would've been a perfect closer, actually)

I love it. Could be a serious AotY contender.
    post28!

ice cream and pizza Father Lucifer's Avatar
    ^ Your descriptions are getting me excited! Can't wait to hear the whole album, in full.

It's too early for me to know how I feel about this album. I do know it wasn't love at first listen. However, there is a lot to explore here, and that's a good thing.

The stretch of 13 Beaches/Cherry/White Mustang is the best thing she's done since BTD/Paradise.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    The stretch of 13 Beaches/Cherry/White Mustang is the best thing she's done since BTD/Paradise.
    I'd agree, but I think Heroin/Change/Get Free has it beat!

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    the best thing she's done since BTD/Paradise.
    That stretch can hardly be beaten, though And I would even add Radio!
    The first half of BtD is basically pure pop perfection to me. There is still nothing out there that sounds like that. National Anthem in particular.

But yes, 13 beaches, that song is everything right now. Top 10 Lana track.
    And also yes, Heroin/Change/Get Free is a great sequence, although Change still feels like the proper closing track to me.

I've been playing the hell out of this album all day. Blasting speakers and playing it on headphones on my way to work. There are so many flourishes and fantastically produced moments that you suddenly pick up on, like the layered chorus at the end of God Bless America. And I love the nods to BtD, from the Video Game lyric to the use of shouts in Cherry and In My Feelings. I'm still not too keen on ASAP's rap segments but I can deal...

Stylewise, this would have fit perfectly between BtD and UV, and since those are my two faves this is giving me all the good feels at the moment
    post28!

ice cream and pizza Father Lucifer's Avatar
    Sigh. I usually ALWAYS listen to the leak and now I feel like I'm missing out

I'm hoping Spotify release it at midnight. Or I'll be old skool and listen to the CD tomorrow :|