Page 221 of 233 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,315 of 3492

Thread: Lana Del Rey

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    PJ Harvey is very political! I also am not saying privileged people can't write amazing political lyrics, because hey, Scarlet's Walk comes from a perspective of wealth and privilege and it's one of my favorite records of all time. It's just sort of the difference between Scarlet's Walk and Maybe California - one is studied and comes from a genuine, thoughtful, nuanced place and one is just romanticizing feelings of healing people from doom with a little song and pithy platitudes. Lana veers way too far into the latter lyrically for my taste.

"Beautiful problems, you know we got them / but we gotta try", "is it the end of America? no, it's only the beginning, if we hold onto hope we'll have a happy ending", etc. None of the hope feels earned to me because I never get a sense that Lana actually understands what she's hoping we'll overcome. Existential dread? The music is gorgeous, of course, which covers for a lot of problems, but if she's going to spend half an album on a theme I wish she developed it a bit more than she does. There's a ton that could be said about our current political climate, but it feels like Lana is choosing to incorporate it not because she has ruminated on it but because it's a trendy thing to add into her music, with the same flippancy she's added domestic violence or drug abuse to earlier songs.

I mentioned Beyoncé and Gaga because you mentioned Lana's the only artist you listen to who "sells" and did a political album. I think given the popularity of political music right now that wasn't really much of a risk.

The irony is that this is otherwise her strongest album lyrically. "Get Free" and "Cherry" are some of her best songs on paper yet.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    PJ wasn't political at all until LES; she made a huge shift. With that record though, she still did the perspective taking and storytelling I really love her for. Also, it is timeless. I doubt whether Hope Six has those qualities, it is so current it automatically dates itself. Which is a problem with a lot of overt political stuff. Like "Yo George" (my eyes rolled typing that); it is dated, because it loses relevance over time. Anyway, I personally think Honeymoon is lyrically Lana's strongest, as it has a lot that perspective taking I'm looking for; Terrence Loves You is the absolute highlight for me.
    Join the Unf Discord (any device)! 60+ folks have already joined. https://discord.gg/6ek5qzz

This year a lot of my favorite artists have released new albums, and I've been excited for all of them, and all have disappointed me, aside from HAIM and of course, Lana. (I'm hoping and believe Tori will be in the latter category, as well.) I am so loving this new LDR album. To me, it is my favorite Lana album since BTD. The only songs I cannot stand to listen to are "Summer Bummer" and "Groupie Love." I skip both. The rest, I insanely love. I couldn't even rank them, because I love each of them so much. I am so impressed with this album.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    PJ wasn't political at all until LES; she made a huge shift. With that record though, she still did the perspective taking and storytelling I really love her for. Also, it is timeless. I doubt whether Hope Six has those qualities, it is so current it automatically dates itself. Which is a problem with a lot of overt political stuff. Like "Yo George" (my eyes rolled typing that); it is dated, because it loses relevance over time. Anyway, I personally think Honeymoon is lyrically Lana's strongest, as it has a lot that perspective taking I'm looking for; Terrence Loves You is the absolute highlight for me.
    Rid of Me and Dry are very political, just more about feminism than current events. I do think Hope Six, which I love, dates itself a little, but sadly I don't think the themes of the album will be obsolete anytime soon.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    Rid of Me and Dry are very political, just more about feminism than current events.
    Strongly disagree with you there, seeing as PJ actively denied it. Regardless of the impact the records have had on the music industry and feminist movement, neither the lyrical content or intent can be labelled as feminist or political.

eta; would love to discuss this in detail with you in PJ forum
    Join the Unf Discord (any device)! 60+ folks have already joined. https://discord.gg/6ek5qzz

ice cream and pizza Father Lucifer's Avatar
    I'm going to defend Lana a bit. She doesn't need it and I don't need to do it but I just want to get something off my chest.

Lana reminds me of those artists or musicians who just have this compulsion to create and create some more. We know she's very prolific. So, I think a lot of the songs from the album have just been a natural progression for her. Which is a good thing. But, and this is a big BUT. This is her first time heading into new musical/lyrical territory. All of her previous albums may have variations to them but they all dealt with her making sense of her own world.

And with Lust for Life, she's trying something new. I agree, she doesn't always hit the 'political storms' on their head. But does she need to? It's her interpretation of what she sees and hears and feels.

Yes, she comes from an affluent background but that's what I always loved about her. I love the whole 'poor little rich girl' vibe she's been doing.

She's changing it up a bit. She's growing up and this time she's a bit more annoyed. I love what she's doing. It's not a massive shift, musically and lyrically but there's progression and we should cut her some slack.

Peace.
    Last edited by Father Lucifer; 08-08-2017 at 11:20 PM.

I am not, in fact, bashing Lana! I hope it's pretty clear that I actually love her work and just have very mixed feelings about Lust for Life as a record. Given how so much of the press campaign around this record was "Lana goes political", I'm just very disappointed in how vacuous her new lyrical themes are. Also, I don't want anyone thinking I'm attacking Lana for being affluent and privileged, but just disappointed that she seems entirely unwilling to look past her own sheltered experience when addressing a topic that is actually all about looking past yourself.

I mean, whether or not they're about her stretching her lyrical legs, the lyrics aren't good or above critique. I'm not going to pretend that novel for Lana is the same thing as actually good political lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Strongly disagree with you there, seeing as PJ actively denied it. Regardless of the impact the records have had on the music industry and feminist movement, neither the lyrical content or intent can be labelled as feminist or political.

eta; would love to discuss this in detail with you in PJ forum
    A work can be feminist and about feminism even if the creator doesn't identify as feminist or identify the work as feminist, if it's explicitly about leveling relationships between the sexes and exploring the fragilities of gender roles - which tracks like "Dress", "Sheela-na-gig", "Snake", "Man-Size", "50ft Queenie" etc are. But yeah, would love to discuss this with you in the PJ forum!

^^ I didn't think you were Lana bashing

It's also a matter of taste and opinion. I think some of the lyrics are pretty good on some of those 'political' tracks. But there are some clunkers.

Completely failed trying to get a ticket for one of the Terminal 5 shows in NY. If anyone has an extra, please let me know

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 06-03-2018 at 04:09 PM.

^ That's not new, but it is a fascinating read.
    Last edited by Hannah.; 08-12-2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: came across as really harsh haha

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 06-03-2018 at 04:09 PM. Reason: It's good not to be a dick to people who point things out.

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    Suggestion: LDR forum

Does Lana have the back catalog to warrant an entire forum's worth of discussion? I worry that it will become as redundant as Gaga's, although if I had to choose between the two I'd definitely go with Lana.

I love Lana. But don't think she needs her own forum. I'm hoping Gaga releases some new music and gives us a reason to keep her forum.