Page 232 of 232 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232
Results 3,466 to 3,478 of 3478

Thread: Lana Del Rey

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    I believe it may be the highest ever for a woman that wasn't a retrospective rating? I can't think of any that ranked higher.
    It is the highest Pitchfork rating I can even remember period... aside from the retro Rid of Me, which has a happy 10.
    They don't usually review music I listen to, but when they do and I think something is really good it normally gets really low points. From the top of my head, a 9 for Radiohead, 8ish numbers to PJ and Fever Ray, 7ish numbers for Lana, 6ish numbers to the Raveonettes and a solid 4.4 for Nada Surf (lol). I do think that half of BTD is absolutely terrible and it deserves to be 5.5 while the other albums deserve their 7+.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Stunning album. I haven't listened to it a lot yet, but even on first listen, it sounds so cohesive, well-written and full of imagery - possibly her best album so far.

Bartender is my fave as of now.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

I said it wouldn’t happen but I think this passed Ultraviolence for me. It’s all I’ve wanted to listen to for weeks.

^ I can’t stop playing it either. On a related note: Pitchfork sent out their readers poll about the best albums and best songs of the decade (2010-2019) — I included it in my top 10 albums list. I really love it that much.

This is the first Lana record I've really given a chance since Born to Die. I liked about half of that one.

I am absolutely in love with the first three songs. Then it dips a bit for me. I mostly find the rest enjoyable, except for California and The Next Best American Record, which it could have done without IMO. I've been listening to it a ton and trying to let some of the same-y tracks sink in. But man, if the whole thing could have grabbed me like those first three tracks, this would have been one of my favorite albums in forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I dislike California and the new version of TNBAR annoys me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I mostly find the rest enjoyable, except for California and The Next Best American Record, which it could have done without IMO.
    Whaaaa?!?!?! Two of my favorite tracks!

California has such a sweeping chorus, and "You don't ever have to be stronger than you really are" kills me every time.

Next Best American Record is just stunning. The simple guitar picking pattern is a nice break from all the piano tracks on the album.

My absolute favorite song is either The Greatest or Hope Is A Dangerous Thing.

Different strokes I guess!
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

I've been listening to it a ton and trying to let some of the same-y tracks sink in.
    I understand that, completely. Lana does have a tendency to write songs that can sound very similar. Even Ultraviolence has a few tracks that overlap a LOT and the lack of variety made Honeymoon a bit of a snooze. There is always differences but sometimes it's more in the nuances. I personally like those two songs quite a lot but I agree that they do have a similar vibe, key and pattern as a whole bunch of other tracks she's made before.
    post28!

Funny; I love the whole album, but I would also put California and Next Best American Record at the bottom of my list. I don't hate them, but I've skipped them once or twice to get on to the next track. And to be fair, I'd be okay swapping either one of them for Looking For America.

Damn, I'm loving this album too. And I've never been a LDR fan before. It's just so lush and effortless sounding. The whole album just breezes by without ever getting boring, and even some of the songs that didn't grab me as much are still starting to reveal themselves more. The first three tracks are all killer. Then there's that great run in the middle of the album, and then the final two tracks just seal the deal. (The only song I would have booted off is "Fuck It I Love You".)

Still I can't really figure her out as an artist. It's weird. Is Lana Del Rey a character? This has probably been discussed ad nauseam but I've just started paying attention thanks to NFR.

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plastic•husband View Post
    Is Lana Del Rey a character?
    'tis the eternal question I think, and the fact that no one can really answer it is what makes her so interesting IMO.

Never really listened to LDR but when an album gets universal acclaim I had to listen. At first I resisted and thought it all sounds the same but fuck, now I’m addicted. One of the best albums of this century!

Faves include nfr, doin’ time, love song, cinnamon girl, California, tnbar, happiness is a butterfly. But it’s all so fucking good.

I love the themes she explores on this album. It reminds me a lot of Scarlet's Walk. She's essentially taking on "America" as a relationship, but she also flips it culturally. She's the woman she is because of American culture.

I also love the musical moments and accents she puts in. When the drum beat drops in Venice Bitch, I realized she has really surpassed herself as a song-writer. I'm glad this album is getting accolades. It's a fantastic piece of Americana; influenced by it and a beautiful contribution to it.

I wish I had time to do an in-depth review. I feel like there is so much to take absorb with this album, it'll probably take me years to really appreciate it all.

This is the first Lana record I've really given a chance since Born to Die. I liked about half of that one.

I am absolutely in love with the first three songs. Then it dips a bit for me. I mostly find the rest enjoyable, except for California and The Next Best American Record, which it could have done without IMO. I've been listening to it a ton and trying to let some of the same-y tracks sink in. But man, if the whole thing could have grabbed me like those first three tracks, this would have been one of my favorite albums in forever.
    I had the same impression at first. The first three songs are really amazing. But the rest of the album is starting to open up for me after repeated listens. Give it a few more spins.