Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Girlie Lets Talk About Nails Thread

Owls is my hero! Also, I showed my husband that last picture and he promised to never complain that I have too many polishes ever again! :l

I'm not gonna lose myself again
    How do you ladies apply your glittery polishes to get that 'solid glitter' look? Even with multiple coats I don't get coverage like in the sample pictures.

^It really depends on how dense the glitter in the polish is. I have a couple that are just meant to be a top coat. Holographic ones are pretty good at just needing 2 coats.

For those of you doing multiple coats, do you have a special drier? I usually skip the bottom coat- do either one thick coat of polish, or two thinner ones, and then a topcoat. An hour later it appears dry and solid, but if I go to bed, I wake up with imprints of the bed linen weave. Do I need heat? More time between coats? More time overall?

I remember when I was getting clear gel over a ceramic fill, the gel required a UV light to harden. It only took a few minutes. I was always fascinated by that chemical reaction- the gel was like goo going on, but came out like bulletproof glass. After about a year, it was cost-prohibitive, and the woman's work was declining in quality, so I had them removed. It took another 6 months to grow my own nails back properly, and I remember cursing the day I had them filed down. But I did love the fakes while they lasted- they looked reasonably natural and were totally indestructible and always looked the same.

owls-- I want to dot you more for being awesome. This thread has inspired me back into nail care after a lapse. I really do love the paint, and I don't mind the process, but I always used to do it while watching Gossip Girl, and my weekly tradition was upset with no new episodes!

On average I do two coats of color (unless it is something fairly sheer), wait a few minutes, apply OPI top coat, give that about 5-10 minutes and then use Zoya Hurry Up drops. I also REALLY like the OPI Rapidry system. Nails are usable within 5 minutes. I'm a total klutz so I give it longer before really doing much with my nails.

Saw a new shade of nail polish from Wet N Wild at Walgreens the other day and just had to have it. It's called "Gray's Anatomy". Unfortunately, the shade looked prettier in the bottle, but it's something new for a change:

Ooh. That looks pretty. It reminds me of owl's OPI's Not Like the Movies...which I've added to my want list.

Owls, how long ago did you buy your Hard Candy Beetle? Looks like it came out in November of last year, and I'm curious to know if it's still in stores. I'm not a Wal-mart shopper, but they still have it online...that might be easier.

You'll never leave Harlan alive. orange shampoo's Avatar
    I've seen Beetle at our Wal*Mart recently, so I think it's still out.

Ooh, thanks! I was thinking of getting 2 of Beetle anyway, just because it looks that amazing. And at this point I'm not sure where I'll be able to find Not Like the Movies -- I was thinking Sally's had OPI but I was just in there today and I was wrong! I know Target has started carrying some OPI but I don't know that they'd have that Katy Perry line.

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    My friends arranged OPI manicures and pedicures for part of my hen weekend yesterday. I got a deep blue with the silver crackle glaze over the top. The crackle stuff is definitely something I can get behind. If you mess up the manicure the crackle would hide many a smudge!

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    Not a fantastic picture as silver reflects but it looks more crackly in reality!
    Attached Images Attached Images

How am I not myself?
    I just had shellac done for both mani and pedi -- it's divine. Does anyone else do that here?

I do OPI Axxium, but I think it's similar. Love it. No real chips after about 2 weeks, and will hopefully get another week out of it yet.

owls-
    Thanks for all the tips! I'm going to try that spray-- I have trouble getting the topcoat on evenly before it starts drying and by then I'm sick of little brushes.

I do mine while I'm watching Gossip Girl, but I do my toes too (much simpler process since they don't endure so much abuse). So if I add more time between coats, I need another trashy girly show. Pretty Little Liars sounds like it might be a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by dreams of owls View Post
    CUDDLEFISH! And everyone else. I just got my new Ulta sale paper. On September 20th, Butter London is going to be buy one get one free. F@*%&#RH
    HOLY SHIT that's amazing!!! YAAAAAY!!!!!