Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast
Results 586 to 600 of 604

Thread: Boys for Pele

  1. #586
    DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    holt, mi
    Posts
    3,015
    The 185-show Dew Drop Inn tour started 20 years ago tonight, in Ipswich, UK...

    Where has the time gone???

    *Edit - might be fun to relive this whole tour every day this year. Too bad there's not footage from every show..
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 02-25-2016 at 01:24 AM.

  2. #587
    it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    shatter shattered
    Posts
    5,963
    *olde timer tour story klaxon*

    So 20 years ago tonight, precisely now around 1am, I'm driving my mum's car down the M1 from the second DDI show, in Sheffield, to my parents' house in Leicestershire, where I'm back living since uni graduation.

    I'm in a total post-tori show buzz, singing along to a tori tape of course, and I realised the only other car on the motorway, 50 yards in front of me, was hers.

    See, I'd been to see if there was a M&G after the show (as was usual then) but there was a huge crowd. I watched it for a while, saw an executive Jaguar with JAG in its licence plate being ushered through the crowd, and headed off to get food then drive home.

    So, I recognised this licence plate in front of me and then... well, I didn't *do* anything, obviously. We were both sticking to the speed limit (good chauffeur), and they left the motorway at the turning for East Midlands Airport, a few miles from my home.

    I'm smiling now at how ~~blessed~~ I felt to have that special motorway time with the goddess.

  3. #588
    ^ That's a special story, other pete.

  4. #589
    Quote Originally Posted by other pete View Post
    *olde timer tour story klaxon*

    So 20 years ago tonight, precisely now around 1am, I'm driving my mum's car down the M1 from the second DDI show, in Sheffield, to my parents' house in Leicestershire, where I'm back living since uni graduation.

    I'm in a total post-tori show buzz, singing along to a tori tape of course, and I realised the only other car on the motorway, 50 yards in front of me, was hers.

    See, I'd been to see if there was a M&G after the show (as was usual then) but there was a huge crowd. I watched it for a while, saw an executive Jaguar with JAG in its licence plate being ushered through the crowd, and headed off to get food then drive home.

    So, I recognised this licence plate in front of me and then... well, I didn't *do* anything, obviously. We were both sticking to the speed limit (good chauffeur), and they left the motorway at the turning for East Midlands Airport, a few miles from my home.

    I'm smiling now at how ~~blessed~~ I felt to have that special motorway time with the goddess.


    Awww so cool!

    I went to the afternoon meet of that sheffield show, but had to travel home on the train before the actual gig! 20 years ago tomorrow (25th) i went to the Manc Apollo gig, then next week the nottm one. Fantastic memories! Where has 20 years gone?! Then again next week is 22 years since my first Tori gig and meet as well, i fell really really really reall old right now

  5. #590
    Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,506
    From Tori's facebook:




  6. #591
    unlikable female protagonist Sansa Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    indoors
    Posts
    589
    I finally found a CD with Glitter Girl Talula, at a chain store that sells used CDs buy one, get one free. Two Peles for two bucks, and the first one I opened was the right one. This feels like a good day.

  7. #592
    Senior Member lucille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    240
    I know I should be a grown up detached adult person, but Christgau's BOMB rating of this album (ntm Choirgirl) still rankles.

  8. #593
    strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sactown
    Posts
    2,432
    It's funny, my first Pele in CD form said "Tornado Version" on the track listing, but the CD itself had the glitter girl version.

  9. #594
    unlikable female protagonist Sansa Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    indoors
    Posts
    589
    ^ Mine was the opposite.

  10. #595
    Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,417
    Listening to Tori commenting on Father Lucifer in the FL episode of Drive All Night (starts @ 9:49) - It's so quintessentially Tori of that time. Torisplaining her perspective on the difference between Satan/Satanism and Lucifer. It's kind of amazing and includes many intriguing quotes. "The feelings that we hide from ourselves..." "There is a purity in darkness. There is also a lot of distortion in darkness. It's a choice where you want to go. And I wanted to get to the truth. Not to the drama and to keeping me from the truth."

    And btw ... I can hardly believe how thoroughly researched and well put together these DAN podcasts are. I'm seriously impressed by their quality and depth - Great job!

    EDIT: YANTA is on the Blood Roses episode - awesome! It's a perfect song for him to discuss, it's so amazing and unique musically speaking. It's really cool to hear him discuss her music at a technical and compositional level, and just to actually hear him! I had no idea this existed or I would have listened to it the second it first aired! Exclamation points!

  11. #596
    Senior Member sugarhiccup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    102
    I think it's in the EPK where Tori talks about having a transparent picture of the brain and using it to show her crew how she wanted CALS to be mixed. I really want to see that picture of the brain, but I don't think she ever said where she found it.

  12. #597
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarhiccup View Post
    I think it's in the EPK where Tori talks about having a transparent picture of the brain and using it to show her crew how she wanted CALS to be mixed. I really want to see that picture of the brain, but I don't think she ever said where she found it.
    I don't know what picture was that, but pretty sure this was the picture she showed the crew when mixing ADP:


  13. #598
    Member sk81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    47
    @sugarhiccup In the extended EPK for Boys for Pele, Tori mentions that the ''transparent brain'' image was from National Geographic. With a bit of Googling, and keeping in mind that BFP was recorded in 1995, I found this:

    It does look gorgeous, although for the life of me I cannot see the connection between this image and CALS being ''transparent''! But that's Tori's genius for you
    Last edited by sk81; 06-13-2018 at 08:57 PM.

  14. #599
    Administrator Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,812
    I think in terms of the sound of CALS, the hollow and bare-bones nature of the drums, the crunchy harpsichord, it does make sense.

  15. #600
    Member sk81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I think in terms of the sound of CALS, the hollow and bare-bones nature of the drums, the crunchy harpsichord, it does make sense.
    See, I didn't notice that connection, but now that you mention it, especially that hollow feeling of the drums, I can kinda see what Tori meant. She has said so often that she gets a lot of inspiration for her music and compositions from the visual arts and this is yet another perfect example.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •