Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hard Candy

Banned
    I will take extra cheese over Alicia Keys.

So, I've been listening to a lot of Madonna lately and revisiting every LP and it really struck me how awful "Hard Candy" was on repeated listens. It's just so wooden and lifeless. With most of her output, new replays just illuminated things that were harder to notice the first time around (especially MDNA, which was much more tolerable than I remembered) but this one is flat-out irredeemable. Between "Hard Candy" and "Bedtime Stories" (which is, overall, much stronger), I'm thinking urban music definitely isn't a good fit for Madge.

Banned
    It's actually had the opposite effect over me. When it came out although I loved Timbaland and thought Futuresex/Lovesounds was and still is a great record I wasn't having this collaboration; felt like she was pandering to an audience she didn't need. Now I have warmed up to it (Heartbeat, Incredible and Spanish Lesson still suck) and think the album is a blast. I think it's more effective than Bedtime Stories at the genre which I still think is her worst album to date. 4 Minutes and Give it 2 Me are great singles and thought the second should have done better. She's Not Me, Dance 2night and The Devil Won't Recognize You are also great cuts.

Hard Candy turns 10! Celebrate with these retrospectives...

Why 'Hard Candy' is Madonna's Last Great Album (This guy in on crack, IMO)

Madonna’s ‘Hard Candy’ Turns 10: A Look Back at Madge’s Midlife Meditation

Ummm.... I never new this:

Madonna told Rolling Stone in 2009, "I did a photoshoot with Steven Klein for my last album cover, and I painted my face black, except for red lips and white eyes. It was a play on words. Have you ever heard of the Black Madonna? It has layers of meaning and for a minute, I thought it would be a fun title for my record. Then I thought, 'Twenty-five per cent of the world might get this, probably less, it's not worth it.' It happens all the time, because my references are usually off the Richter scale."

Thank GOD.
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    "My name is Madonna. I painted my face black. It's like the 'Black Madonna', get it?!"

Really lame Madonna humor strikes again. I'm surprised she didn't say it would have been "ironic".

Thanks for sharing these articles @SloppyJane. I think HC is a bit better than it is given credit for, but I don't listen to it much. Regardless, I love reading these kinds of retrospectives about albums.

I quite like Hard Candy and think it's held up well. I think it has a leg up on her last two albums in that it's more streamlined and concise, and it feels like it has a very cohesive sonic vision (even if you don't care for that vision). That said, Rebel Heart is my favorite of the three last releases (and my favorite of hers since Music).

Given how much hatred HC gets from fans, it's nice to see it getting a flattering retrospective review. I remember this one receiving positive reviews upon its release and selling well, but the fan outrage was pretty loud right away. I think the Timbaland production worked well for her, and I like his production style. He did good work here and on Loose.

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJane View Post
    Hard Candy turns 10! Celebrate with these retrospectives...

Why 'Hard Candy' is Madonna's Last Great Album (This guy in on crack, IMO)

Madonna’s ‘Hard Candy’ Turns 10: A Look Back at Madge’s Midlife Meditation

Ummm.... I never new this:

Madonna told Rolling Stone in 2009, "I did a photoshoot with Steven Klein for my last album cover, and I painted my face black, except for red lips and white eyes. It was a play on words. Have you ever heard of the Black Madonna? It has layers of meaning and for a minute, I thought it would be a fun title for my record. Then I thought, 'Twenty-five per cent of the world might get this, probably less, it's not worth it.' It happens all the time, because my references are usually off the Richter scale."

Thank GOD.
    Yes, indeed!

The Black Madonna of Częstochowa:

The raw versions of the photoshoot she references in that article:

^ Aren’t the photos above from the Confessions era though? I ask because that’s her original face pre-Hard Candy.

Quote Originally Posted by bongohead View Post
    ^ Aren’t the photos above from the Confessions era though? I ask because that’s her original face pre-Hard Candy.
    They are Confessions era, yes. I just always assumed that those were the photos she was referencing in that interview. I'm probably totally wrong, though. Wikipedia does say that she originally wanted to call "Hard Candy" "Black Madonna," so there's that. Anyway, disregard. Cool photos, right?

If she called the album Black Madonna, and used the image she described as the album art, I don't know if her career would recover.

The scary thing is those images actually exist and are sitting on a hard drive somewhere...They're just one leak away from the being a TMZ-sized scandal...
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJane View Post
    If she called the album Black Madonna, and used the image she described as the album art, I don't know if her career would recover.

The scary thing is those images actually exist and are sitting on a hard drive somewhere...They're just one leak away from the being a TMZ-sized scandal...
    Exactly. I'll gladly take those HORRIBLE, tacky "candy" photos over the possibility of this ever happening. I get that she's an art nerd and thought she was being terribly clever, but thank GOD somebody talked some sense into her.

But "Black Madonna" with her face painted in black and a picture like the last one in the series the Joey posted, would that be offensive too? Because I think it would be a nice cover picture (and infinitely better than the Hard Candy disaster cover).
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.