Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546

Thread: Mudwinter Graces, and Rose with you

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I am always the annoying person who chimes in with this, but there's really very little money for Tori in re-releasing albums on vinyl. (I know this crowd finds it hard to accept, but most artists -and even record companies- no longer make a profit on albums! As sad as it is, albums are now a marketing expense to sell t-shirts and concert tickets.) Let's say she re-released Choirgirl on vinyl and sells 10,000 copies @ $25 each.

I'll math it:

250,000 * 50% (cost of making the physical records and distributing to retailers) = 125,000

125,000 / 2 (half for Tori, half for Rhino) = 62,500

62,500 * 70% (income tax) = 43,750

Tori can make a whopping 44,000 in this scenario. (I'd take that cash in a heartbeat, but it's probably peanuts territory for her.)

However, the 44,000 is overstating it by a huge degree. First, manufacturing and distribution may easily cost more than 50% of the retail price. Second, I haven't factored in any marketing costs, which are subtracted right out of top line revenue (the 250K) before anything else gets split. Third, she will not sell 10,000 copies, especially without marketing. (LE, UTP, and BFP reissues didn't sell that many, and each of those records outsold Choirgirl when originally released.) Fourth, she still has to pay Marcel for his work on any remastering that is needed.

Most artists would not get a 50/50 split with the record company or anything even close to that. Tori does only because she owns her own publishing. That's the only reason. Which brings us to the fifth reason the 44K is overly optimistic: she recently turned over the administration of her publishing to Downtown Music Publishing, which means they get part of her 50%.

In the end, she is lucky to break even. I know it sucks, but it's real.

Ultimately, LP reissues come down to fan service at this juncture. With any luck, we'll see some more reissues from her back catalogue but I wouldn't be surprised if we never see the post-Pele stuff on vinyl from an in-house juncture.
    Remember that we once lived

I know, but I can dream. I still maintain that she's sitting on a goldmine with all the old material. She has a in house engineer and studio and could release it digitally in her store.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nateb View Post
    I know, but I can dream. I still maintain that she's sitting on a goldmine with all the old material. She has a in house engineer and studio and could release it digitally in her store.
    A goldmine of potentially amazing recordings? This I agree with. She should do the live stuff digital only. It would save the costs associated with manufacturing and distribution, and help cement her legacy as a virtually peerless live act.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Ultimately, LP reissues come down to fan service at this juncture. With any luck, we'll see some more reissues from her back catalogue but I wouldn't be surprised if we never see the post-Pele stuff on vinyl from an in-house juncture.
    That's exactly right. I actually think she'd do it just for that reason, if (1) didn't interfere with whatever new project she's interested in/working on, and (2) she thought she could at least break even. I suspect money was lost on the former reissues, hence why Choirgirl has fallen off the radar. I bet she's trying to figure something workable out.