Page 171 of 174 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,565 of 2598

Thread: What's the last book you read?

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    I just finished Life after Life and A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson. I really really loved Life after Life. A God in Ruins was a fine read, but I didn't really get into the characters. The daughter Violet was insufferable. While I get what the author was going for with the ending, I thought it could have been done better.
    That's really funny. I read God in Ruins last year and Viola was my favourite character. She's an incredibly difficult woman but her flaws make her intriguing, especially the path of damage she leaves around her.

I'm working my way through the Harry Potter series for the first time and the books are more interesting and well-written than I remember them when I casually browsed through one of them many years ago. They don't necessarily make me want to watch the films more but I think they are very entertaining reading.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

I can't believe I had NEVER READ THIS BOOK, considering I am 1. from New England, 2. obsessed with whales and 3. literally everyone my age has read this book. I finally got to it, and I honestly found it incredibly moving and related to some of it more than I'd care to admit. I feel like if I had had some of Dolores' tough breaks earlier in life, my life could have gone a similar way. I saw a lot of myself in her. I found it really compelling and while it wasn't 100% successful at some points, I thought it was a great book.

^ Oh my! I read that so many years ago! I've forgotten a lot of it now, but I remember really loving it at the time. Glad you liked it too!

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

She's a brilliant observer and relater of human relations, and her commentary on race and class across Nigeria, England and America is incredibly thought provoking, sad, and humorous in turns... I can't think of another book that incorporates so much observation without ever feeling like an editorial. It never breaks the spell and the forward prpopulsion of the plot had me totally absorbed from the beginning. She really has created a work of genius and significance. But I must say I was a *little* bit annoyed by the ending - it didn't feel totally true to me, whereas the entire rest of the novel felt brutally honest and real, creating an incongruity for ne. Despite this, I strongly recommend the book. 9.5/10

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America by Nancy Isenberg. Explains so much.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Anyone enjoy the SOMETHING LIKE... books? Something Like Summer, etc? Gay themed.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log done had a child!"

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson.... The daughter Violet was insufferable. While I get what the author was going for with the ending, I thought it could have been done better.
    Violet was absolutely insufferable but interestingly drawn, I thought. I mean you wanted to tie an anchor to her foot and throw in the sea, but I thought her story and evolution were very interesting to read.

100% agree with you about the ending. In theory I like it, but it seems to fall somewhat short of what could have been.

Last night I finished The Story of the Lost Child, the fourth and final volume of the Neapolitan Quartet by Elena Ferrante.

I just absolutely loved these books. I know that I and others in this thread have discussed some of the things that are problematic about her style--a tendency towards the clinical, a tendency to gloss/"tell" something rather than show it in-scene--but to me, it works for her and for the story she is telling, the way she is trying to tell it. I found the books compulsively readable. She manages, by using the complicated and sometimes toxic friendship between these two women as her locus and lodestone, to write a saga that is about literally everything--family, love, sex, class, history, art, knowledge, time, memory, tragedy, and friendship, friendship above all. She takes every thread that she teased out in the first book and pulls them through the whole quartet, until the defining event of the final volume unfolds with a stomach-dropping sense of awesome, terrible inevitability. These characters and their lives will stay with me a long time, and the books will always have a place on my shelf. Highly recommended.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    I'm reading the last Neapolitan book next, I think. I've been on a dystopian YA bender that is starting to stress me out. It doesn't take long to go from sort of therapeutic to EXTREME CHAOS ANXIETY BRAIN.

I did listen to Talking As Fast As I Can by Lauren Graham a few nights ago...and she talks so fast that the audiobook feels super short. Which is its own kind of stressful.

What I'm saying is I need the depth and intensity of Ferrante to cleanse my palate right about now.

Mayfair Witches by Anne Rice (for the 2nd time)

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
    Mayfair Witches by Anne Rice (for the 2nd time)

When I read the first one years and years ago, I thought it was one of her best. It was so engaging and engrossing. Then I read the next bunch and got angrier and angrier. That's probably the arc of anyone who's read Rice .

I just finished The Goldfinch. I liked it better than Tartt's second, but not as much as her first. It was way too long, especially the beginning and the end. Took forever to get to its points. It's not like the middle went lightning fast, but at least stuff happened and it wasn't philosophical or meandering as much for dozens upon dozens of pages. I'm glad I read it, but it's not on my re-read list.

Finished J.K. Rowling's The Cuckoo's Calling this morning, a mystery novel written under the pen name of Robert Galbraith.

I liked it well enough. The detective character is interesting, and there are certain passages and set pieces, especially in the back half, that contain a lot of emotional insight/plain good writing.

That said, it could have done with some editing. I felt like it was almost 100+ pages longer than it needed to be, mostly because it didn't really pick up a sense of urgency until the back half. The writing also kind of goes in and out (again, this is an editing thing). I think my least favorite part was the detective's relationship with his erstwhile assistant. Actually, scratch that. I think my least favorite part was the erstwhile assistant. LOL. I want to read the second book but I know that she's a major character again so I'm reluctant.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I just finished The Goldfinch. I liked it better than Tartt's second, but not as much as her first. It was way too long, especially the beginning and the end. Took forever to get to its points. It's not like the middle went lightning fast, but at least stuff happened and it wasn't philosophical or meandering as much for dozens upon dozens of pages. I'm glad I read it, but it's not on my re-read list.
    I need to read The Goldfinch again. I blew through it so fast when I read it. I love both The Secret History and The Little Friend. I think The Little Friend suffered from bad promotion and marketing. Everyone made it out like it was going to be this mystery about what happened to the brother who disappeared, and the only function the incident has in the story is context. It's not about that at all.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    It's not about that at all.
    No, but she needs some serious editing. I don't need ten pages to tell me what can be said in one tight page. It's real-time train of thought stuff, but that's the fluff that you trim down for coherence. I liked TLF better the second time I read it, but still not a whole lot.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Re-reading "It" for the zillionth time, because the new movie will soon be upon us...
    never gets old.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎