Thread: SPINs 100 Greatest Guitarists

SPINs 100 Greatest Guitarists

http://www.spin.com/#articles/spins-...ll-time?page=7

PJ lands at #27; also is pictured along with Prince at top of article.

It's kind of funny seeing how she always mentions that she doesn't think of herself as a talented guitarist/pianist, etc. She does have a way of downplaying her own talent, though.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I love Polly, but I don't know that I'd rate her skills as a guitarist above the likes of Billy Corgan or Adrian Belew. These kinds of lists are extremely subjective (duh!) and fraught with drama, i.e. who's better, who's best, and where the hell is [insert your favorite whatever].

These lists always make no sense to me. It seems to be some weird balance of skill and popularity that acts as criteria, but the balance between the two is really inconsistent. Kut Cobain? 4th greatest guitarist of all time? That said, I love that Kevin Shields is at no. 2.

ETA: SKRILLEX on the list? what? bleurgh.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar

I refuse to believe in a list that blatantly leaves Mac Aladdin out of the equation...

You go on wiff your bad self, Polly!

When I saw PJ perform a couple years ago with some friends who study guitar, they stated that she's just an okay guitarist. I think that perhaps what the list represents is not how good one is but how well they use the instrument in their songs, in which case I think PJ deserves a mention.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

Yeah I think innovation and implementation must be important, and I presume that's basically the only reason Kevin Shields is no. 2. I think they're going at this from a purposefully non-conventional angle, trying to look at different aspects of what makes a guitarist great. Would explain why there's no Hendrix, since he's kind of the gold standard. PJ + guitar is quite an iconic image, especially Dry/Rid of Me era PJ, so that's probably what they're deriving her "greatness" from.

Waiting to see when SPIN names her the 13th greatest pianist of all time. Or the single greatest autoharpist.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    That list was excruciating.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I think they're going at this from a purposefully non-conventional angle, trying to look at different aspects of what makes a guitarist great. Would explain why there's no Hendrix, since he's kind of the gold standard.
    FWIW, the list is prefaced by the following:

To celebrate the new generation of shredders profiled in our May/June "Loud Issue," the SPIN staff decided to find some wheedle in a haystack, taking on the impossible task of ranking our favorite guitar players of all time. Traditionally, the "greatest guitarist" timeline begins with Robert Johnson magically conjuring the blues, nears perfection with Eric Clapton mutating it beatifically, and then ultimately reaches a boomer-baiting Rock and Roll Hall of Fame apotheosis with the free-spirited Jimi Hendrix shooting it into space like feedback-laden fireworks. For this list, we veer toward the alternative canon that kicks in with the Velvet Underground trying to erase that form entirely, making guitar solos gauche and using instruments as sadomasochistic tools for hammering out sheets of white heat.