Page 263 of 264 FirstFirst ... 163213253261262263264 LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,945 of 3955

Thread: Fiona Apple

Jon Brion has actually disowned the leaked versions.

By March 2005, what became known as the “Jon Brion version” of Extraordinary Machine was available on BitTorrent. Brion disowned it. “There’s music on there that wasn’t even part of [what I recorded],” he said. “It’s wrong. It’s not like, ‘I don’t quite like the mix.’ I wasn’t happy with [the leak] cause I don’t like those versions. It’s stuff that doesn’t reflect what we recorded, for the most part, except for the stuff that’s just her and an orchestra. That’s just right — but as far as the rest of it, it doesn’t reflect what I recorded.”
    https://longreads.com/2019/01/29/she...inary-machine/

Most recently he produced Mac Miller’s final album and did the score for Ladybird.

Long-time Lurker
    ^Jon Brion also played live music for (at least) 2 of John Mulaney's concert specials in the last few years. John even introduces him.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    oh wow, Waltz (Better Than Fine), and the Brion versions of Oh Well and Better Version of Me are probably all in my top 10 Fiona songs of all time.
    Waltz is in my top 10 songs of all time, period. I love it so (hence the username).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    oh wow, Waltz (Better Than Fine), and the Brion versions of Oh Well and Better Version of Me are probably all in my top 10 Fiona songs of all time.
    Oh I forgot Waltz! I obviously love it. OK, that makes 7. My point still stands (and seems to be echoed by most here) that it's the least accomplished of her albums. Of course, we're talking unaccomplished by Fiona standards here, which is still miles ahead of many.
    Last edited by okyanus; 03-23-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Pitchfork revisited When The Pawn for their weekend feature!

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...when-the-pawn/

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I adore both versions of EM. It's my second favorite Fiona album after WTP. EM was the first Fiona album I purchased not knowing much of anything about her. I had no idea about the leaked Brion version until years later.

She has a plan for that. Steve SFM's Avatar
    I really like those Pitchfork weekend reviews. They give a lot of historical context to the albums. In particular, I really like the analysis of her late 90s image. All that stuff was so fucking sexist. I like the notion that WTP was an attempt to set the record straight.
    And it's going to be how do we think government should work and who do we think government should work for?

I randomly stumbled across this on my YouTube explore page. I haven’t watched it yet.

Never Is A Promise was inspired by Mariah's cover of Without You?! I fucking love that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0MzJUiI7yT/
    Sooooo, hopefully the new album in 1-2 years.... unless of course this is for a cover, or Maude is releasing a new album.

More conversation with Fiona.

^ thanks for posting these! in this most recent one, she seems to allude to recording stuff on her own. that's the sense I've been getting from the few updates we've seen of her working on her new music, like she's potentially recording in a home studio even. really hope we'll hear some new music from her sooner than later.

Icon15

So apparently J Lo pole dances to "Criminal" in Hustlers.

And then there's this: Fiona Apple Pledges Two Years of ‘Criminal’ Royalties to Refugees
    Fiona Apple is donating the 2019 and 2020 earnings from TV and movie placements of her song “Criminal” to the While They Wait fund, which assists refugees with basic necessities, immigration fees and legal services.

Apple said that “Criminal,” the Grammy-winning single from her 1996 debut LP, Tidal, is her “most requested song” for television and film spots. And money generated from the track will help refugees secure “representation and guidance.”