Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Shaker Aamer" - new song 2013

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

"Shaker Aamer" - new song 2013

PJ Harvey releases Guantanamo song

"PJ Harvey has released a new song to highlight the ongoing detention of the last British resident held inside the US prison at Guantánamo Bay."

The Guardian site is exclusively streaming the song (at the above link).

PJ Harvey has released a new song to highlight the ongoing detention of the last British resident held inside the US prison at Guantánamo Bay.

The track, called Shaker Aamer, is available to stream exclusively on our website and was recorded by the Mercury prizewinning songwriter to help maintain pressure to have the 46-year-old, whose family live in south London, released back to Britain.

Aamer has been detained in Guantánamo for more than 11 years, despite being cleared for release in 2007, and remains imprisoned without charge or trial. He has a British wife and his four children – the youngest of whom he has never met – were all born in Britain. They live in Tooting, south London.

The British government has stated repeatedly that it wants him back in the UK and last week, under escalating international pressure, the US announced it is to restart transfers from the prison. Concerns remain, however, that Aamer might be forcibly sent to Saudi Arabia and imprisoned there instead of being reunited with his family in the UK.

More than half the detainees inside Guantánamo Bay remain on hunger strike in protest at their indefinite and illegal detention. Aamer recently alleged that prison guards have been sexually assaulting him and that he is subject daily to often violent "forced cell extractions".

Harvey's lyrics recount the suffering of Aamer on hunger strike – which he has been on for four months now – articulating his loss of dignity and likening himself to an "old car, rusting away". The final lyrics of the song are simply "Don't forget".

Clive Stafford Smith, Reprieve's director and Aamer's lawyer, said: "We hope people listen to this song and think about Shaker Aamer's plight: detained for 11 years, without charge or trial – despite having been cleared for release by both Bush and Obama.

"The UK government must do everything it can to bring Shaker back home to his wife and kids in London, where he belongs. PJ Harvey has written a wonderful song – I know Shaker will be deeply moved by it, and I only hope that, with the support of the public, he will one day be able to listen to it in freedom."

PJ Harvey's last album, Let England Shake, explored the horrors of war and helped cement her position in the British rock establishment. She is the first ever double Mercury prizewinner.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Ooh. I like this song. Thanks for posting, Menju.

The lyrics can be found here.

I love and respect this woman so much.

great song!

I'm kind of over her high vocal register type songs. Other than that, it's great.

She's wonderful for doing this, but the song is just not good. The production is very amateurish. It (the production and PJ's voice) reminded me of this:

"The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

Thanks for sharing, menju. Listening now.

edit: NM... missing the context
    Last edited by Octopussy; 08-04-2013 at 04:43 AM.

I think the song is creepy and harrowing and amazing, like a lost LES track. The production doesn't strike me as amateurish really. Not any more than 4-Track Demos or UHH b-sides. I wonder when she recorded it. It doesn't seem very PJ Harvey to use her music as an activist. And this seems too close to the LES aesthetic to be work for a new album, or era, if you wish.

edit! trying to edit the last post

download link on this page
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/aud...mer-song-audio

the intense echo delay is questionable, but surely intentional.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ime Achoo Dooa View Post
    It doesn't seem very PJ Harvey to use her music as an activist.
    Which makes it a very PJ Harvey move indeed. She always tries to have her next thing be very un-PJ Harvey-like.

I kinda love the song. She's approaching the songwriting in the same way as she approached Let England Shake - most of the lyrics are quoted from Shaker Aamer with only this much not written in quotes:

In Camp 5, eleven years.
    Never charged. Six years cleared.

Don't forget.

So, really, it's quite like how she used source material for LES to get the voices of people affected by war as opposed to just trying to emote her own response.
    It's kind of like musical reportage as protest music instead of just singing "war is bad!" or "I am angry about this topic so I'm gonna ani difranco it". It's an interesting approach that casts her as merely a voice reporting the story, leaving the listener to make up their reaction to the material presented, instead of trying to rally or rile the listener to a particular viewpoint.

^You can make pretty much anything or anyone seem stupendous, the way you analyze things. This song, whatever context, required very little on PJ's part (I would hope). I'm not saying that because something is simple it's not a good piece of work (PJ Harvey's music is usually very simple), but this song is only good because it's PJ Harvey, "war" and "news" and had she not released LES, or written about Shaker Aamer, I don't think anybody would have anything to say of this song.

I don't think it's an interesting approach at all. It's obvious what PJ Harvey wanted to achieve from this. She recorded it and released it to show support and to get people active, which is activism and I would think most activists hope to have support. You make it sound like she's revolutionary.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltic View Post
    I don't think it's an interesting approach at all. It's obvious what PJ Harvey wanted to achieve from this. She recorded it and released it to show support and to get people active, which is activism and I would think most activists hope to have support. You make it sound like she's revolutionary.
    No, I don't.

I just say that she's taking a different approach to the majority of protest music, which is usually polemic folk song or angry rock tunes. She's taken a different approach, similar to how she approached writing about world war 1 on Let England Shake.

I didn't expect the song to that good or interesting, but it sits rather well as an offshoot from the LES project, but with a contemporary focus. The rather extreme delay on her vocal is something I do question, but I'm not so bothered by it.

If this song was recorded by Maria Castaña, everybody would this is amateurish, with way too simple music, horrendous production and the vocals that sound like three cats fighting in a bag.
    But it's PJ and the song is OMG THIS IS SO GOOD, AND SHE'S BEING POLITICAL, THIS IS AWESOME.

C'mon, we all listened to the song because it's a new PJ song, and that's it. There are some verses that reminded me to Dolores O'Riordan stuff.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

So, because you don't like it or because you don't think it's good no one else can enjoy or appreciate the song?? Wow!! What a lame argument. People enjoy what they enjoy, get over it. personally, I like the production, but then again I like this sound from her-- from 4 track to Uh Huh Her and its b-sides.
    Last edited by Banjee; 08-04-2013 at 03:07 PM.