Page 514 of 528 FirstFirst ... 14414464504512513514515516524 ... LastLast
Results 7,696 to 7,710 of 7918

Thread: What was the last movie you watched?

The Florida Project

Wow. Funny, compelling, and finally devastating. Three great performances, by a great actor, a young woman discovered selling weed clothing on Instagram, and a little girl. (Nominate them ALL.) A complex and sharp look at poverty, without seeming to even try. Moonlight, only with white and Hispanic people? Kind of. (Certainly in the sense of showing us people we don't usually see on a movie screen.) A seemingly plotless film that gradually tells a compelling story.

All of that and more. See it, and then discuss it under spoiler tags with me.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    The Florida Project

Wow. Funny, compelling, and finally devastating. Three great performances, by a great actor, a young woman discovered selling weed clothing on Instagram, and a little girl. (Nominate them ALL.) A complex and sharp look at poverty, without seeming to even try. Moonlight, only with white and Hispanic people? Kind of. (Certainly in the sense of showing us people we don't usually see on a movie screen.) A seemingly plotless film that gradually tells a compelling story.

All of that and more. See it, and then discuss it under spoiler tags with me.
    Movie is getting a lot of Oscar buzz as a Best Picture contender!!! Can't wait to see it. Not playing near me, tho.
    Miss Vanjieeee. Miss Vanjiee. ..Miss Van..

It definitely deserves a BP nod. My guess is that it'll get one. Sean Baker should at least get a screenplay nod, maybe Best Director. I think Willem Dafoe has a real shot at the Best Supporting Actor trophy. Brooklynn Prince (the little girl) has an Actress nod chance, but I think the field is too crowded. Bria Venaite, who plays the mom, isn't getting awards buzz, which is a shame, because she's amazing. (It's her first acting role ever.) We'll still be seeing plenty of her at the awards shows, because she's gorgeous and fancy dresses look great on her.

But yeah, it'll get plenty of nomination love. As it should.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by stoneforest View Post
    The visuals and the ideas in this were great, but it was just tooooooo sloooooow for me.

I have discovered something about myself as a movie lover in the past few years: I have a hard time engaging with movies that have a lot of silence, or people doing things/interacting without speaking much. I crave dialogue!
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    The visuals and the ideas in this were great, but it was just tooooooo sloooooow for me.

I have discovered something about myself as a movie lover in the past few years: I have a hard time engaging with movies that have a lot of silence, or people doing things/interacting without speaking much. I crave dialogue!
    i'm occasionally okay with style over substance.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    It definitely deserves a BP nod. My guess is that it'll get one. Sean Baker should at least get a screenplay nod, maybe Best Director. I think Willem Dafoe has a real shot at the Best Supporting Actor trophy. Brooklynn Prince (the little girl) has an Actress nod chance, but I think the field is too crowded. Bria Venaite, who plays the mom, isn't getting awards buzz, which is a shame, because she's amazing. (It's her first acting role ever.) We'll still be seeing plenty of her at the awards shows, because she's gorgeous and fancy dresses look great on her.

But yeah, it'll get plenty of nomination love. As it should.
    Would you compare it to like.. Little Miss Sunshine meets Beasts of the Southern Wild?
    Just found out that this was not shot on an iPhone (Tangerine). It was shot on real 35mm. WOW Can't wait to see it! ahhhh From a phone to celluloid.

They actually screened Tangerine (before it took off) at the Bloomington LGBT FIIM Fest. Baker was there. The talk was really only about how freeing shooting on the 5s was.. very docu-drama. But this is going to be pretty opposite of that.
    Last edited by Volta; 11-16-2017 at 06:04 AM.

^Woodshock was so incredibly haunting and beautiful, and my jaw was literally dropped during the final scene. I felt Kirstin Dunst's pain and grief so deeply. I understand that a lot of people saw it as having a lot of style over substance, but I was enthralled, and thought the story was completely unlike anything I've seen before. It weirdly reminded me quite a bit of my own life, up all night wandering the empty town/woods I live in like a ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Would you compare it to like.. Little Miss Sunshine meets Beasts of the Southern Wild?
    Just found out that this was not shot on an iPhone (Tangerine). It was shot on real 35mm. WOW Can't wait to see it! ahhhh From a phone to celluloid.
    People are saying that one critical bit (which is glorious) was probably shot with a phone. And maybe some interiors. But yeah, it's mostly shot on celluloid, which is essential to the feel of the film. Especially in the scenes where the kids are just playing.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    ^Woodshock was so incredibly haunting and beautiful, and my jaw was literally dropped during the final scene. I felt Kirstin Dunst's pain and grief so deeply. I understand that a lot of people saw it as having a lot of style over substance, but I was enthralled, and thought the story was completely unlike anything I've seen before. It weirdly reminded me quite a bit of my own life, up all night wandering the empty town/woods I live in like a ghost.
    likewise. i resonated with it on a level i never thought possible. it devastated me with its profundity.
    Last edited by stoneforest; 11-16-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Happy Deathday - I was a bit sceptical that it would be a copy of this years Before I Fall - both movies use the Groundhog Day formula: repeating every day over and over again. But here, the women die every night and try to escape this threat.
    HD is more a thriller/teen slasher movie whereas BIF has a little bit more of a reflective/philosophical vibe to it. I enjoyed both in their own way.

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    Justice League

Reviews are not encouraging but I dig the show. Still, like what a review said, it's like a big-budget trailer for Flash and Aquaman, speaking of whom I wish he had more action and oh my those pectorals. (Superman's too how did they train them?!?)
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Sunday before last I went to see Call Me By Your Name again. I could have seen Death of Stalin or The Party or The Florida Project or any number of films I haven't seen yet but I paid my £11 and went to a tiny screen on a university campus and got some of that beautiful shit in my eyes for a second time.

There were about 20 people in the screening. After the credits everyone sat still in their seats for a good 30 seconds before even a single person moved or spoke. I've never witnessed anything like that.

^I hate you! jk.
    So lucky. If I had access to any of those movies in a theater near me I would be so extremely happy.
    I'm glad people are seeing the movies I want to see so badly on here because I love everyone's reviews and always have on here for more than five year it seems