Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "a wing can cover all sorts of things": Covers of Tori Amos songs.

Arrow "a wing can cover all sorts of things": Covers of Tori Amos songs.

Hey everyone! I'm stepping out from the Kate Bush forum to share some delights with anyone interested in something different... I was looking through the archives last night out of curiosity concerning known covers of Tori's songs and I didn't see an existing thread. I could of course Google the search string but a) it wouldn't be nearly as fun, b) popular search won't reveal the members of the fan community that glean inspiration from her music and pay tribute by reinterpreting/covering her repertoire.

Also, c) I recently stumbled upon one of my performances from a couple years ago (I'm a pianist by profession) and upon reviewing it, I realized that for this gig in particular I paid homage to the Lady by covering her songs as solo piano interpretations (instrumental only, no vocals). I thought some of you might be interested in hearing them since instrumentals can be so fun to listen to... they sort of allow you to hear the music differently. I remember years ago when I was with the @forum and it was in vogue to mess with the stereo mixes of Tori's songs in order to hear the arrangements without the vocals. I ate that up, so maybe these clips will entertain some of you in a similar way

And most importantly, perhaps this will open the arena for fellow members of the community to share covers of their own! I'm interested to hear what people might come up with since you don't find Tori covers in the mainstream like ever.

In the meantime, here are the Tori segments from one of my solo shows in Long Beach a few years ago. I hope some of you might get some enjoyment out of them. I know I did.

First we have Marianne:

Here In My Head:

Mother:

Winter:

There are more, but I didn't want to flood the thread with media. If you'd like to see/hear more from the show, hit up my YouTube channel.
    Last edited by eatthemusic; 06-29-2014 at 07:13 PM. Reason: formatting error

Okay well I feel stupid, I was excited about showing the arrangements to you guys. I can see why it was probably eye roll -worthy.. could have gone about it in a better way. I'm not experienced in the lay of the land here in MTF But I'm curious, did this thread get moved? Or is my piano playing that bad?
    Last edited by eatthemusic; 06-30-2014 at 02:51 AM.

Did you get shade and red dots for this post? I thought the playing is lovely.

No I got red dots when I came to MTF to tell everyone about the new Tori record after i heard it early, and it was information they already knew and basically aborted me spontaneously with a red dot holocaust. Oh, the forums.

And thank you, so very much! I really only meant to share music, not whore anything out. Much appreciated, Cunter.

What a fantastically gifted pianist! Thank you for sharing

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Well, if someday I'll be able to play better covers than yours I'll give you a call. Seriously, I can barely play the first line of winter (because I'm lazy AND noob). Great arrangements!
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

Great covers! We (I) want moarrrr

Since this will be a general thread for such things, I still (for the millionth time) want to point out this guy:

Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

Have people heard 'You are not Tori Amos' on YT - excellent!

I love Vienna Teng... her voice is so beautiful and gentle.

And her cover of 1000 Oceans. Which I *almost* like more than the original.

(changed the title of the thread because it was a bit unclear when reading it - is it a thread about Tori's instrumentals and covers? Or is it a thread about instrumental covers of Tori Amos songs? Is it a general thread for covers of Tori Amos songs by other people?)

edit: better title again, post-coffee brain. yes, said.
    Last edited by ebby; 07-03-2014 at 05:28 PM.

^That's perfect

But it's always going to make me think of this Wing (who also covers all sorts of things):

Well SHUCKS Feel free to request anything you'd like! I record things all the time.

Oh oh, do Original Sinsuality! That melody is just so darn good.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.