Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project (new album! 15 April 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    I love how we on this forum always seem to focus on the font of an album cover
    it's so true!

Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Red lettering really makes it look like some kind of propaganda or something.

Would make for a (slightly) better album cover without it. Not thrilled about the LES comparisons I've been reading.. that and White Chalk are probably my least favorite of her albums :/
    Well it kind of is. It's a deeply political statement about gentrification and poverty.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I don't like the album cover at all, but I like the music and that's what matters. I think it's only natural that we worry about font and design choices - after all, the quality of Tori Amos's music has generally been proportional to the quality of her artwork.

I'm worried. I like the song, but it sounds like a song written for LES that didn't make the cut. I've been so spoiled by the huge changes in her sound: TBYML to ITD to SFTCSFTC to UUH to WC to LES. All of those, with the possible exclusion of UUH are radical departures in sound. That's what I always expect from PJ. Maybe she's just set the bar too high? Obviously I need to hear the album and obviously it'll be a million times better than almost everything released this year, but right now, I'm still enthralled with Bowie's huge departure and was thinking I'd get the same thing from PJ.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I like The Wheel. It has a certain garage band aesthetic that I can dig. It's maybe a 7.5 for me (which includes at least 1 point because it's PJ, and I basically worship the woman.) I can see where Adam is getting that it sounds a bit like a LES reject. But in my case it actually increases my curiosity about the album in a hopeful way, for whatever reason.

If this is the actual album cover, ... I LOVE IT. I've heard the clips and I'm excited for the release. Plus, if she OFFENDS EVERYONE,

Well once again, I'll follow her everywhere.

Did I mention that I joined unf for PJ? Probably not.

Yes, The Wheel definitely evokes LES as do many of the new tracks judging by their live incarnations.

I've had a hard time ever getting into her, but I like the new song a lot, so there's that.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Anyone knowledgable about Heraldry who can figure out the meaning behind the Ram, the double-headed dog, the three dead birds, and the three keys and whatever else is going on there?

I find that fascinating!

Depth is the greatest of heights whenthepawn's Avatar
    Wow, so much activity in here now, and I just looked at the thread last night...

Maybe it's because I'm an Aries, but: I actually like the album cover—although I do hate the way the horns of the ram cover up the word six. I think the red is ok. Had she gone with black and white, it probably would've been too reminiscent of LES. I like the symbolism and simplicity of it.

I enjoyed the trailer. To me, the songs sound like a cross between Stories and LES. I'm more excited for this than I was for Unrepentant Geraldines. I'm sure it will be better, too.

P.S. I just did a search of the album title and Amazon has listings for the CD and LP versions of the album.
    Last edited by whenthepawn; 01-22-2016 at 10:43 PM.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Anyone knowledgable about Heraldry who can figure out the meaning behind the Ram, the double-headed dog, the three dead birds, and the three keys and whatever else is going on there?

I find that fascinating!
    Yeah, my interest in medieval nobility has led me to much analyzing of symbols in heraldry.

The ram is the figure of imperial leadership. This image is perverted though, because it has chains of bullets around it; that would suggest leadership that can only lead to warfare. It is leadership with no knightly code of honour left.

Keys are wisdom, that get you into the gates of heaven. Birds, of any kind, are a symbol of peace. Perhaps it signifies a wisdom that leads to death only.

The two-headed dog i don't know. Double-headedness in heraldry is common, but it is mostly eagles; that represents the union of church and state. I immediately thought of perverted science by Vladimir Demikhov, who achieved a polycephaly transplantation resulting in a two headed dog =/.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

She has a plan for that. Steve SFM's Avatar
    I just got the email this morning.

So where can I hear the song now? I like the album cover, but I like the song titles even better. Sounds like more political music.

Officially getting excited now. The year is shaping up nicely. There's also a new Wussy album in March, not that any of you care.
    And it's going to be how do we think government should work and who do we think government should work for?

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Yeah, my interest in medieval nobility has led me to much analyzing of symbols in heraldry.

The ram is the figure of imperial leadership. This image is perverted though, because it has chains of bullets around it; that would suggest leadership that can only lead to warfare. It is leadership with no knightly code of honour left.

Keys are wisdom, that get you into the gates of heaven. Birds, of any kind, are a symbol of peace. Perhaps it signifies a wisdom that leads to death only.

The two-headed dog i don't know. Double-headedness in heraldry is common, but it is mostly eagles; that represents the union of church and state. I immediately thought of perverted science by Vladimir Demikhov, who achieved a polycephaly transplantation resulting in a two headed dog =/.
    Regarding the two headed dog:

"Featured in both the Greek and the Roman mythology, Cerberus was a multi-headed hound (usually three-headed), which guarded the gates of Hades, to prevent those who had crossed the river Styx from escaping."

http://www.greekmyths-greekmythology...dian-of-hades/

these days just seem to crush me
    oooh so excited!

i hope, hope, HOPE she does a proper US tour though (i.e. other cities besides NY & LA). She hasn't done a legit solo US tour since '04 i believe , if you don't count the john parish tour in '09(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
    i hope, hope, HOPE she does a proper US tour though (i.e. other cities besides NY & LA). She hasn't done a legit solo US tour since '04 i believe , if you don't count the john parish tour in '09(?)
    You are correct. There have been no proper US tours since '04. The John Parish tour in '09 was just Austin (SXSW), LA and NY. In '11 it was SF, LA and NY. In '09 I actually flew down to LA to see them at the El Rey as well as the Leno taping. It was totally worth it.
    Last edited by DrDark; 01-23-2016 at 10:39 PM.