Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project (new album! 15 April 2016)

I was at that show! And so was one more of us.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

these days just seem to crush me
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDark View Post
    You are correct. There have been no proper US tours since '04. The John Parish tour in '09 was just Austin (SXSW), LA and NY. In '11 it was SF, LA and NY. In '09 I actually flew down to LA to see them at the El Rey as well as the Leno taping. It was totally worth it.
    i saw her and john parish in covington, kentucky (outside cincinnati!) so it was an extensive-ish tour. i know they played chicago as well, but i couldn't make that date. it was just so strange to me that she did a bigger tour for that album, and not LES

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Regarding the two headed dog:

"Featured in both the Greek and the Roman mythology, Cerberus was a multi-headed hound (usually three-headed), which guarded the gates of Hades, to prevent those who had crossed the river Styx from escaping."

http://www.greekmyths-greekmythology...dian-of-hades/
    Cerebrus has three or more heads though, have not encountered that on heraldry signs I think. Regular dogs do appear, to signify courage.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Quote Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
    i saw her and john parish in covington, kentucky (outside cincinnati!) so it was an extensive-ish tour. i know they played chicago as well, but i couldn't make that date. it was just so strange to me that she did a bigger tour for that album, and not LES
    Was that not the most amazing show ever?! It's like no one knew about it. There were like, what, maybe 75 people in that bar? And I just walked in, grabbed a beer and went right up to the stage. I could NOT believe it.

ETA: my problem with the cover is that it reminds me of an early 00's emo band's cover. I don't know if it's just in general or if there's actually a cover it reminds me of. Maybe I'm wrong completely and my head just goes there for no reason.

Also, I do like that the dog(s) holding a gun. Are they wrapped around "wisdom" and "peace" ( or with the birds being dead, war?) as if they're not letting them out? Excuse me if that makes no sense whatsoever. I'm snowed in, going a bit crazy and it's late. Haha.
    Last edited by Adam; 01-24-2016 at 05:51 AM.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

it's going to be an album on gentrification, right? I mean, not many working class kids in the arts right now. If there's a torch song about that I'll be so happy.

Icon15

I didn't know the song is available to buy on iTunes so I bought it just then and I like it more with each listen.
    I'm excited for the album as I always am with PJ Harvey. I do agree with the comment regarding the length of the song. It's not a major thing but I do think they could have edited the intro down by about 30 seconds. I'm hoping we get some really great videos this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
    Oops. you're right . After the Austin, LA and NY dates in March, they came back in June and played a good size run of 14 shows, starting in Atlanta and ending in San Diego.

Quote Originally Posted by AshaBlack View Post
    I didn't know the song is available to buy on iTunes so I bought it just then and I like it more with each listen.
    I'm excited for the album as I always am with PJ Harvey. I do agree with the comment regarding the length of the song. It's not a major thing but I do think they could have edited the intro down by about 30 seconds. I'm hoping we get some really great videos this time.
    There is a shorter 3:59 version called "The Wheel - edit" (in addition to the normal 5:38 version) on Spotify: https://player.spotify.com/track/03JR4xOkjEkK0RcdJivgZQ

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/deepsa...57616042708468

Just downloaded the single in Itunes and I really like it. I thought it sounded way too much like LES at first but I can see a great change listening to the single.
    Can't wait to hear more

There is a shorter 3:59 version called "The Wheel - edit" (in addition to the normal 5:38 version) on Spotify: https://player.spotify.com/track/03JR4xOkjEkK0RcdJivgZQ
    Oh really, Thanks for the info. I'm surprised they don't have that edit on iTunes as the "single" track. I don't use Spotify or other streaming sites. Which parts of the song have been edited?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    Yep. And it was kind of astonishing that a video of this show turned up, that was shot - over my shoulder! When the camera backs way up, there I am.

I know nothing about heraldry though, so carry on.

I rather like the long intro to The Wheel. I think I would like the song less if it were not there. It gives the song a kind of hypnotic quality... The Community of Hope has a similar hypnotic quality to it. I hope the whole album is like this...

Quote Originally Posted by AshaBlack View Post
    Oh really, Thanks for the info. I'm surprised they don't have that edit on iTunes as the "single" track. I don't use Spotify or other streaming sites. Which parts of the song have been edited?
    It appears they shortened the intro by a full minute as well as shortening the outro by about :40.

The lyrics to The Wheel:

It's about Pinochet and his rule, right from the get go with metal chairs.