Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Björk - Utopia - New Album News Thread - [Sept 14 update]

"Hollow" is a mess. An interesting idea that turned into a failed/unfinished studio experiment and yet still somehow made it to the album. It was even worse live - watching the Icelandic choirgirls singing "TRUNK... OF... D-N... A! TRUNK!" in front of an audience while Bjork was shaking her booty (yes, you read that correctly) in the background was bizzarre and cringeworthy as fuck.

^ I think "Hollow" was really interesting. Kind of spooky yet carrying the influence of Post-Modern composers like Ligeti and Penderecki. I think the accompanying video kind of helped express and brought the song into a fuller expression.

This is obviously a guess, since we've heard only two of 14 songs, but I think that this is a third era in Björk career.
    It would be something like this:

"Pop" Björk: as mainstream as she can be, with bombastic choruses and great melodies. It goes from Debut to Vespertine.
    Experimental Björk: this is Björk focusing more on the music than the lyrics, trying to goes further that the regular stuff. It goes from Medúlla to Biophilia.
    Songwriter Björk: I though the confessional vibe of Vulnicura was because of the trauma. It reminds me of Joni Mitchell in some aspect.

I don't expect another melody like Bachelorette, but I think she's trying to do something new after all the experimentation, she's focusing more on herself instead of some concepts.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Blissing Me is utter shit. Meandering, boring, tuneless, pretentious. Music without music. I'd rather listen to fucking Strong Black Vine.
    I find it more melodic and "musical" than 90% of Vulnicura and The Gate.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

Blissing Me is utter shit. Meandering, boring, tuneless, pretentious. Music without music. I'd rather listen to fucking Strong Black Vine.
    It isn't actually, you might just need better ears.

Holy shit you guys

I see where you're coming from and I have to agree. As much as I hate to admit it, Strong Black Vine is definitely more enjoyable. While I don't think Blissing Me is too pretentious, I do think it's overly-precious and cloying. Some of the lyrics and their delivery are so cringe-worthy, I'm surprised more people didn't take issue with them. "Beautiful" instrumentation and competent production will never make up for a lack of memorable melodies and engaging, dynamic song structures. I was hoping that Utopia's songs wouldn't be as repetitive and boring as many on Vulnicura, but we'll see in a few minutes. *drip drip drip* Anyway, it's nice to see someone posting an opinion where they're not being an apologist for some of Bjork's recent songwriting issues (not that there's not people who genuinely love this; to each their own).

Interestingly enough, here's Bjork talking about the types of repetition that she likes and the "crap" and "lazy" versions she doesn't like (~15:07).