Page 370 of 370 FirstFirst ... 270320360368369370
Results 5,536 to 5,550 of 5550

Thread: How Low Can We Go? The President Donald Trump Thread, I guess. :(

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Rick Scott has some damn nerve.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    The whole thing is such a mess and no matter who wins *now*, it's going to be a mess. Who could have seen this coming?*

*Everyone who's seen this before.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    What a turd. Like, ya can't drive there? Operating an umbrella too difficult? Twitter doesn't work in cemetaries? Head pelt might slide off? Ashamed you dodged the draft? Your wife, Sec of State and John Kelly will be there. I guess they're not afraid of rain.

Trump cancels WWI ceremony due to poor weather.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...CglmmsedmBjzv4
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Anyone else here ever read The Dead Zone? I've read it before and I'm about 3/4 of the way through this time.

It's one of those things that is uncomfortably prescient. A gag candidate with an outrageous platform, fans who know he's full of shit but are so mad at things in general they don't care as long as he keeps up the gimmicks, the dark, dark, dark side he has hidden from public eyes... including lots and lots of real estate fraud and the hiring of thugs to do the dirty business of shutting people up. I mean, I guess it's also a tale as old as time, but it's harder to read it this time than it was in the rosy days of Reagan and Bush the First and Clinton and Bush the Second and Obama. When I first read it in '90, '91 it seemed laughable, that no one that outrageous would ever gain traction in a modern American society. Not on that big a stage. Ha ha, that Stephen King, he makes up unbelievable monsters. But as I reread his stuff at middle age instead of as a teenager, the monsters aren't that unbelievable and sometimes aren't really metaphors.

I re-read some of the scarier ones this summer and had trouble sleeping because of vampires and telekinetic pissed off prom-goers, but now I'm having trouble sleeping because this isn't the escape from reality I wanted.

Which reminds me... has anyone else's fiction habits changed? There are some interesting looking movies and tv shows out there that I just can't handle. I don't need all fluff, but I can't really enjoy heavy, heavy stuff any more. I bailed on Designated Survivor almost immediately after the 2016 election. Even if Kevin Spacey hadn't been outed as a fuckstick, I wouldn't have been able to watch this last season of House of Cards. I can't even watch Parks and Rec very often. I can handle some drama, some dark, but very limited when they're together and almost nothing that touches politics in a real-world setting. I'm fine with sci-fi/fantasy settings and their political machinations.

The Dead Zone is one of my favorite Stephen King novels (and movies). Last year, he compared Trump to Greg Stillson from The Dead Zone and Jim Rennie from Under The Dome.

Read more at https://www.nme.com/news/film/stephe...6zv5u6zfLuw.99

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    This avid reader has pretty much stopped reading any fiction written after 1900. The trials and tribulations of Jane Eyre or the madness of Victor Frankenstein seem so quaint. Shakespeare is way less difficult to read than the news.

Movies, Turner Classic Movies is on practically all day.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    These days I find myself less willing to continue reading a book if it doesn't interest me from the get-go. I give them a few chapters to grab me and if I'm not invested, I bail. Some of this is probably due to anxiety about current events. Honestly, though, I think the main reason why I've shifted in this direction is due to the fact that I usually don't have extra cash to buy books. All of my books come from the library, whether print or digital. I used to struggle all the way through books in the past even if I didn't like them because the fact that I spent money on them made me feel obligated to finish. Now if I don't finish a book, it's not like I spent money on it. I can just delete it from my device or take it back to the library for the next person, no harm done.

While my reading habits have remained pretty steady, I've noticed that my interest in most of the podcasts I used to enjoy has waned significantly. True crime shows used to fascinate me from a psychological standpoint, but now I can't stomach listening to more stories about the worst that humanity has to offer. I'm not going to bother agitating myself anymore.
    Last edited by emanate; 11-11-2018 at 07:02 PM.

I actually just finished reading my first book in many years, and it happened to be a Stephen King novel (Salem's Lot). I've experienced a fair bit of stress the last few years, so it's been nearly impossible to enjoy reading at all, or even to have the attention and concentration for it.

This is my second Stephen King novel - I read Carrie about 17 or 18 years ago and I didn't like it at the time, but I massively enjoyed Salem's Lot, and it felt so refreshing and natural to be able to read for fun again. I started Needful Things and was really getting into it, but had to discontinue near the beginning because I've got too much reading for these online courses I'm taking. However, I'm pretty confident I'll take another crack at it when I have the time because I was enjoying it just as much as Salem's Lot.

King's anti-Trump tweets made me pay more attention to him, and since I've become much more cynical about human nature since 2016, I suppose his explorations of humanity's darker side in a late 20th/early 21st century North American context does hold some appeal.
    Last edited by Puddles; 11-12-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Sinema declared winner in AZ. First Dem there in ages, first openly bi woman. Her Republican rival conceded graciously, despite the party trying to get her to stir shit.

FL and GA still dragging on.

House Dems are saying their first priority is election reform. I don't know if it truly will be (who knows what will be the most important thing in 2 months) but I like the spirit. And I also don't know if it can pass the Senate. But it puts them in a put-up-or-shut-up position. McConnell doesn't have as many votes to spare as he'd like and if some of the Senators up for re-election in 2020 want to win, they're going to potentially be the most powerful people in the Senate. Like Collins. She's got to go, but if she's planning on running her only chance to win is to restore her maverick reputation. So if the House passes something and McConnell refuses to bring it to the floor, any moderate or election-minding Senator can fuck up other things to make it happen. Not that they will. But they *could*. It's going to be interesting... but you know what? I'm tired of living an overly-written West Wing episode.

Which reminds me... has anyone else's fiction habits changed?
    I've been focusing on psychological suspense novels for the past five years or so, because they're like crossword puzzles: they keep me sharp.

^ word
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

I haven't seen this one talked about much what with all the cereal/voter ID jokes (My favorite? Chex and Balances) and elections results still trickling in and Avenatti getting arrested for DV (originally Trump's friends from TMZ said against his ex-wife, but then after she said "no, not me" it's allegedly a girlfriend... I believe women but TMZ's involvement in this gives me a bit more doubt than I'd normally have.)

It's exactly what you'd think and yet still surprising from start to finish.

“Insanity,” “Furious,” “On His Own”: Trump’s Post-Midterms Blues Are Vexing His Staff and Roiling the White House

What’s surprising to some advisers about how bad the past week has been is that Trump initially seemed to take the midterm losses in stride. Last Tuesday, he was in high spirits as he watched election returns come in with about a hundred friends at the White House. Trump told people that his barnstorming rally schedule had mobilized his base and held Republican losses to historical lows, while increasing Republican gains in the Senate. “He really thought he won the midterms,” a prominent Republican who spoke with Trump said.

As The Washington Post reported, he got into an argument with British Prime Minister Theresa May during a phone call on the flight across the Atlantic on Friday. On Saturday morning, Trump skipped attending a rain-soaked ceremony at the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery to honor the Battle of Belleau Wood. When his absence became a scandal, the White House said the decision had been made because Marine One reportedly could not fly in the rain, and Secret Service did not want Trump traveling by motorcade. One Republican briefed on the internal discussions said the real reason Trump did not want to go was because there would be no tent to stand under. “He was worried his hair was going to get messed up in the rain,” the source said. “[John] Bolton and everyone was telling him this was a big mistake.” A former administration official said Trump hates being outside in wet conditions. “What I honestly think? He woke up and said, ‘It’s pouring rain. This is a joke and I’m not doing this.’”

A move against Nielsen would be, in many ways, a chance for Trump to finally force Chief of Staff John Kelly, her closest administration ally, to quit. According to a source, Kelly told White House counselor Johnny DeStefano that he would resign if Trump fired Nielsen.

Kelly’s resignation would be a big victory for Trump. For months, Trump has been reluctant to fire him, partly because he’d have to do it personally, and partly because he doesn’t want to make Kelly a potent enemy on the outside. “Kelly has decided to hang in there and get humiliated day after day,” a person close to Trump said. Trump recently told a former official that he was worried Kelly would campaign against him in 2020 if he fired him, a person briefed on the phone call said.

Mira Ricardel, who had reportedly clashed with the First Lady’s staff on her tour of Africa last month. A source said the president approved the First Lady’s statement and supports Ricardel’s firing. “The president called Johnny DeStefano today and said, ‘Get the bitch out of here or you’re gone,’” a source briefed on the conversation recalled.

Fear of Trump’s rage has spread throughout the Cabinet. According to one Republican, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross has told people he’s afraid to visit the White House because he doesn’t want to be fired.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Is it wrong that I get immense pleasure knowing that he is absolutely miserable? I hope this is a modern day Icarus tale.

She's still a devil, but this is actually funny.

Her husband, George, is really anti-Trump online. So when he says something it gets a lot more traction than it would if he were married to a nobody.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I don't get it. Is she trying to be fired? Is this some joke? Some Trumpio distraction from something that really matters?