Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: US Elections 2020 - These little earthquakes. Here we go again.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Warren at the top of the list. Of the remaining 3, I'd probably put Buttigieg at the bottom just due to lack of more governmental experience.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    1. Warren
    2. Anyone but Tulsi and Maryanne and probably Steyer

I want to like some of them more, but they keep doing stupid things. Some of them are attempts to boost their numbers, some are just tone deaf (mostly Biden doing those), some are old things coming up. An example of the last one is the anger issues Klobuchar supposedly has. I don't like that. I mean, I'm not on board generally with her more centrist beliefs, but I'd be much more supportive of her (and forgiving of the dumb shit she does) if I could get past the nastiness she puts out allegedly. It matters to me a lot. I don't like bullies and I like my rage against the machine, not against minimum wage staffers. And like Mayor Pete... I loved him at first for his Ravenclaw attributes because his full-on nerdery was so endearing but as he goes on, he's coming across more Slytherin and I don't like that. But I will vote for any of them. Even Tulsi if I had to. I mean, she's fucking garbage, but she's LESS garbage than Trump. It's hard for me to have a second, third, etc. choice because all I see is the problems with all of them.

If the Dem loses in 2020, I'm already rooting for Katie Porter in 2024. Assuming we're still A Thing with 4 more years of the Orange Menace. And maybe Porter can run later.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    1. Warren
    2. Anyone but Tulsi and Maryanne and probably Steyer

I want to like some of them more, but they keep doing stupid things. Some of them are attempts to boost their numbers, some are just tone deaf (mostly Biden doing those), some are old things coming up. An example of the last one is the anger issues Klobuchar supposedly has. I don't like that. I mean, I'm not on board generally with her more centrist beliefs, but I'd be much more supportive of her (and forgiving of the dumb shit she does) if I could get past the nastiness she puts out allegedly. It matters to me a lot. I don't like bullies and I like my rage against the machine, not against minimum wage staffers. And like Mayor Pete... I loved him at first for his Ravenclaw attributes because his full-on nerdery was so endearing but as he goes on, he's coming across more Slytherin and I don't like that. But I will vote for any of them. Even Tulsi if I had to. I mean, she's fucking garbage, but she's LESS garbage than Trump. It's hard for me to have a second, third, etc. choice because all I see is the problems with all of them.

If the Dem loses in 2020, I'm already rooting for Katie Porter in 2024. Assuming we're still A Thing with 4 more years of the Orange Menace. And maybe Porter can run later.
    1.Warren
    2.Sanders
    3. Meh

The only reason we're talking about Pete as a possibility is because of Trump. In comparison to everyone else (with the exception of Williamson) Pete's not qualified.

With Tulsi, even though she's impressive, making Pete look like worms: top of her class at OCS, and the only woman ever to be an honor graduate of that school, been in politics since 2002, having served in a number of capacities, she's also currently a Major in the Army, and she was vice-chair of the Democratic National Committee (before resigning and whistleblowing on Debbie Wasserman-Schultz tilting everything in favor of Hillary and everything got weird), she scares us. She might even have the most impressive resume of anyone running. But she certainly does scare the crap out of all of us, and I think that's important.

But at the end of the day, it's Warren/Bernie and officially no one because this primary has been the most ridiculous circus since Donald Trump ran for president.

If I were an American voter, I'd start with a list of attributes I'd want to see in a presidential candidate and see who fits the profile. I would want someone who is largely aligned with my views, but more importantly someone who can win. Someone who isn't downright geriatric. Someone with a vision AND with a clear plan on how to enact that vision within the constraints of the current American form of government. Someone who preferably isn't yet another straight white man. Someone is just as at ease with foreign policy as with domestic issues and who could restore America's standing with the rest of the world. Someone who could make a credible, strong commander in chief, and who while not a war monger by any means, understands that American military might is the most important factor in preserving the current world order and Western democracy. Someone who wants to uplift the working class, but not at the expense of the middle class. Given who the frontrunners are, it's obvious that I don't fit the average American voter profile.

^See the thing is I've heard for almost 40 years how someone wants to uplift/help the working class or the middle class, and no one ever really does. Saying that will get get a sarcastic 'uh huh' from me.

As for the rest, I do try to find someone at least close to that.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Warren is the only candidate i'm 100% on board with. But we have some excellent choices and we have some that simply are NOT qualified for various reasons. They might be too green, or seem to think that their wealth is what qualifies them. It doesn't.

And I will say that Tulsi is definitely NOT qualified. She is in the lowest spot for me. I don't give a shit about her military service. She's no liberal at ALL and it's amazing that she's fooled so many people when her true track record is something that is beyond repulsive. Her reaction to not even being mentioned by name recently should be enough. Her history on gay rights is another. You don't magically come around from such extremes, you just don't. Her constant running over to Fox and Hannity to complain and whine and undercut the rest of the left is another red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Warren is the only candidate i'm 100% on board with. But we have some excellent choices and we have some that simply are NOT qualified for various reasons. They might be too green, or seem to think that their wealth is what qualifies them. It doesn't.

And I will say that Tulsi is definitely NOT qualified. She is in the lowest spot for me.
    It's not just her military service, she also has almost 20 years experience in politics, including leadership in the highest levels of the Democratic Party. I don't like her either, but one thing she is is most definitely is qualified. And I'm not sure why anyone would want to erase that. One can be certainly qualified and have shitty politics. We can say a woman has shitty politics without taking away her accomplishments.

But I'm curious, because while I absolutely love Warren, I do find it weird that many people I know who despise Bernie and thought Medicare for All was extremist and paying off all college debts was bananas, and had harshly negative opinions on unions have suddenly embraced these extreme views comfortably with Warren. Which is AWESOME, but it's still weird.

Art supplies are too cheap

Am I missing a bunch of symbolism here; other than sliding a card under the table?

Anyway, its trash.
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

If you lay with dog you get up with fleas?

Beto's out. Guess the painting needs updating.

I came across this and I think it's something those of us who are going to vote for the Dem candidate regardless need to use to persuade others to vote Dem in 2020. Especially the "burn it all down" sore losers. The two party system sucks but you act like an adult and you have to vote for the lesser evil and false equivalencies need to fucking die.

KY's governorship flipped from GOP to Dem. Mitch is up in 2020. Now, he'll most likely win. It'd be stupid to take this as an omen of his downfall. But it shows that a D can win state wide and things are going to be pretty awful for Mitch in the next year. So my question is... at some point, say after the KY primary, does Mitch feel saving his own seat is more important than saving Trump's fat orange ass?

The whole "get the impeachment done in 2019" thing has always seemed bonkers to me. Waiting until the filing date for primaries or the primaries themselves might get more cooperative Republicans and red state Dems.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I do hope that it drives Trump nuts that one day after he came to Kentucky to get the incumbent elected it backfired.
    But I don’t think Mitch has too much need to worry. The republicans won everything else including Attorney General which hasn’t been held by a republican in so long, a republican very much loved by Mitch and all things and people “Mitch.”
    And I so badly hoped Heather French-Henry could take Secretary of State. She came close.

Also, besides the fact Beavin was a lunatic who attacked teachers organizations, police organizations, an entire university’s board, he also set about dismantling the Medicaid coverage the governor before him expanded. And that governor was also a Beshear, the current Gov-elects father. So the Beshear name goes pretty far.

Kentucky has long been red for presidents and senators. But the state offices are typically democratic held.
    I am a little shocked the election was so close. Beshear was winning by double digits in some polls. He won by possibly as low as 4,600 votes. And the turnout was big. And Beavins won some rural counties by larger numbers than his first election which makes me think Trump helped there.. but Beavins was obliterated in the suburbs especially in Fayette co where Trump came which also shows that it did backfire and suburban voters across the nation are against Trump possibly because of Ukraine.

Trump did tell the crowd in Lexington if Beavins lost the media would call it his (Trumps) worst defeat in the world. So there’s that. Lol. And it’s something to be happy about because you know Trump won’t let it go psychologically.

I prayed hard that the mad king would lose and that Kentucky a place I once lived and where so many friends and family live just across the river would be safe, again. Had Beavin been re-elected the future of healthcare in the state was at serious risk.

Beshear is good. He comes from good people. I’m very happy.

Last edited by Volta; 11-06-2019 at 07:38 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    I do hope that it drives Trump nuts that one day after he came to Kentucky to get the incumbent elected it backfired.
    But I don’t think Mitch has too much need to worry. The republicans won everything else including Attorney General which hasn’t been held by a republican in so long, a republican very much loved by Mitch and all things and people “Mitch.”
    Mitch might not actually lose, but it's not going to be EASY for him and we have not had a single day of open impeachment hearings, and that is going to most likely tank Trump's approval. And if people aren't enthusiastic about voting Trump in 2020, they might stay home. And that means fewer votes for Mitch. I'm 90% sure Mitch will be there in 2021, but it *should* be at like 95%+.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Also, besides the fact Beavin was a lunatic who attacked teachers organizations, police organizations, an entire university’s board, he also set about dismantling the Medicaid coverage the governor before him expanded.
    Ah, but this is also Trump's shtick. I know it's different when it's on the local level and affects you directly, but it's happening nationally and in a year might start to be felt in KY.

Angry Dems and disaffected GOP = more Dem seats. And the ones the GOP retains are going to be hard fought. Yes it took a child molester for Alabama to flip, but it did flip.

So I wonder what the limit of Mitch's patience is. I eagerly await their fight.