Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: US Elections 2020 - These little earthquakes. Here we go again.

I feel the exact same way @Ryan..and I was just on Twitter which always makes it worse..like seeing fellow democrats going after Mayor Pete already for some dumb comment he made about Hillary today. And I’m not saying he’s immune to criticism but I really do think these days with the endless news/social media cycle we tear our own candidates to shreds to the point that it really does the GOP a favor.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    with the endless news/social media cycle we tear our own candidates to shreds to the point that it really does the GOP a favor.
    Republicans don't self harm this way to nearly the same extent, and they absolutely reap the benefits of their relative solidarity.

^ Yup.

There is a lot of criticism today from NeverTrump Republicans about the issues Dems are bringing up. Elizabeth Warren has been talking about the electoral college. Why? As Rick Wilson pointed out, you only have so much “real estate” as a candidate for the issues you find important, and Republicans and moderates are not going to vote against Trump if that’s the issue she feels important enough to run on. It’s idealistic, it’s lofty, but it’s never going to happen in the near future even if lots of us think it’s antiquated and stupid.

They need to run on real issues, most importantly all the unpopular shit that Trump has broken or attacked that polls the lowest for him. Dems have had two years to watch this administration and see its weak points with the voting population, and they should have been galvanized into fixing those issues. I don’t see that happening yet.

Republicans are amazing at branding. “Lock her up,” “death panels,” “fake news,” “no collusion,” etc. They come up with some outrageous, simplistic, sensational catchphrase to scare their base and then every one of them, from local county elections to the national ones, parrots it ad nauseam to drill it into the brains of their base. Democrats need to learn that.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Republicans fall in line; Democrats fall in love.

And it's hard because I don't want to fall in line behind tone-deaf shit like this

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Twitter has always been terrible to follow politics on. Unfortunately it is the platform where everything goes down. I've just been unfollowing a ton of accounts. I care less about everyone's hot take. Every fucking person has one. I wish I could just do a blanket ban on think pieces. I can see my feed in the next month turning into just Washington Post, NY Times, and music blogs.

I do think in the real world, most people cannot give two shits about the Dem primary right now. It is way too early and there are way too many people. The news cycle moves so quick. It is absolutely pointless to get invested in anything right now. The people arguing on twitter right now are activists, Russian trolls, and journalists trying to one up each other. No thank you.

I thought I'd be all Warren this cycle, maybe a dash of Kamala. But Mayor Pete is stealing my heart

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    He also holds a firm belief that I share. Hotdogs are NOT sandwiches. So there's that.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

We don't deserve Anita Hill.

I don't know if Mayor Pete is really trying to do the "Real Americans live in the middle" bullshit that I loathe, but he's stepping close to the line. Plus he's also doing some Hillary campaign criticism ("At least Donald didn't say America was already great". She's not above criticism but it's been over 2 years and I don't like the idea of boosting yourself up by putting someone else down. A sincere scholarly examination? Sure. Cheap rally the base shot? Fuck you.) And I don't know if he's being an asshole or if he's just coming across poorly. I'm not putting him in the I won't vote for you in the primary pile yet, but he could end up there if he's really getting at these things.

Why does the media not, for instance, implore rural voters to understand that part of why cities are so liberal is because people of all races and colors have to learn how to live and work together or everything falls apart?

Why does the media not explain to rural voters that the guns they use for hunting and recreation become a lot more dangerous in a place where there are no animals to shoot but millions of people? That no one in cities wants to take their guns, they just want to live in peace?

Why does the media not tell rural voters about all the *common interests* they have with urban voters? Everyone has to eat. Every community has been touched by opioid addiction. Everyone wants serious solutions.

Fact is, liberal Democrats have a proud tradition of looking out for rural people, from the Tennessee Valley Authority to rural broadband investment in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

We have some different social values, but we aren't your enemies.
    Rural or urban, central or coastal: it's not a competition. There are more Trump voters in NYC alone (despite his catastrophic loss there) than several of the low-population states put together. Real America is a terrible, exclusionary trope.

So maybe his real message is more nuanced and it's certainly true that nuance gets lost in things now, but "sticking it to coastal elites and Hillary in particular" is not going to fly with me.

Oh, and I call him Mayor Pete because I can't spell his last name and don't feel like copy/paste and it reminds me that this week in the NYT there was an article that called Booker "Senator Booker" and Harris "Ms Harris". Fuck that.

I was just thinking this morning that his campaign should come up with a good nickname for him soon (and I don’t think Mayor Pete is it, though it’s the best we’ve got right now). Otherwise we need an easy way to remember the pronunciation.

I honestly hadn’t watched anything about him (or any of the candidates) so I wasn’t sure how to pronounce it, but he said last night on Real Time that it’s “boot-edge-edge.”

Here is Ben Folds sending out compliments for Mayor Pete after they played together.

Now I wonder if he's also a Tori fan. I really hope I'm misunderstanding his "gaffes" because he feels like a candidate custom made for me.

Love this, even if I'm in favor of lessening our prison population and stopping over-prosecuting. It's too far in the other direction for white collar crimes.

Mayor Pete Buttigieg Impressed the Hell Out of Ben Folds During a Duet in 2015

When Ben Folds heard the mayor of South Bend wanted to play the piano at his 2015 Indiana concert, he was ready to tell the sound technician to turn down the volume on the piano. “You know, the mayor sitting in sounds like a possible train wreck,” Folds told Esquire. But when Mayor Pete Buttigieg began playing the Ben Folds Five song, "Steven's Last Night in Town," it was clear he knew what he was doing.

“He and I went over the music quickly and he was obviously a very good pianist—no worries there," Folds said. "It was a very difficult song he pulled off. I’m serious. He’s a fine player.”

“The thing that struck me about the audience was that Pete’s presence didn’t elicit the predictable ‘political’ feel that comes over an audience when they’re confronted with a politician. Having a politician on is guaranteed to feel a little stiff and usually somewhat divisive at a concert,” Folds said. “But this was more like having world’s most beloved entertainer onstage. Lots of 'PEEEETE!!!' across all types, young and old. And he didn’t take the moment to grab the mic and talk or linger on stage. Total class.”

That show was the only one Buttigieg has played with Folds, but the two stay in touch with the occasional Twitter joke. And Folds said when he heard Buttigieg was marrying Chasten Buttigieg last June, he sent the couple a photographic print based on his song "The Luckiest," which is popular at weddings.
    I'm glad I don't have to vote in a primary for almost a year.

Last edited by Regina Phalange; 04-03-2019 at 08:30 PM. Reason: forgot a word

I love that Mayor Pete is also from Indiana...you know like Pence!

Honestly he gives me Obama vibes. Remember how fresh and unique Obama was? At the time, I thought Obama wasn't experienced enough, but I'm not making that mistake twice. I was very much Hillary 2008! But only Bernie followers in 2016, I jumped right on board with Obama.

Mayor Pete is who I got my eye on!

Bernie Bros are going hard after Mayor Pete already. I haven't fully informed myself yet, but the idea of an undeniably INTELLIGENT person in the White House is frankly good enough for me at this point.