Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just discovered Kate Bush!

Just discovered Kate Bush!

I should say I just discovered the power of her music, because I've heard it before, but it just never clicked until now. I liked This Woman's Work, and thought Running Up that Hill was fine, but really found her to be offputting overall. Then I had her Dream of Sheep Live video suggested in my Youtube videos the other day and gave it a watch because Tori has covered it, and I saw in the comments that the song was about a woman lost at sea and about to fall asleep. I was so haunted by the imagery of the video in that context, so then I listened to the Ninth Wave and was blown away. It was like something I never saw before finally clicked in her other songs that I'd known. I'd heard Man with the Child in his Eyes before and always though it was silly because of the video and her voice. All of a sudden it seems amazing. Running Up that Hill now seems like a stroke of genius that I never saw before. I've been discovering all these little gems from her catalog (still haven't heard a lot of it) - like the song Breathing. What?! Like how did I not ever hear this before. I'm so excited that I am able to see what others have been raving about for so long. I’m just blown away by what I’ve heard.

I never knew she was discovered by David Gilmore - and Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands. Some of her music sounds like something they would have had on their best albums.
    Last edited by Adirondak; 02-19-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Welcome to the fold! My experience was similar to yours. I heard a few of her popular songs here and there and never really found a way in until Aerial came out, and then I had to go back and listen to everything she released.
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

Wonderful to hear! Kate's really one of those artists whose work is like a world unto itself; once you find your own little pathway into it, it just sort of opens itself up to you and becomes this fascinating place to explore.

If you're not a fan of the video for TMWTCIHE, you might want to try watching the 1979 Xmas Special performance of the song instead. I love the studio recording of the song, but in terms of a visual representation of it, I've always preferred this performance to the music video myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddles View Post
    Wonderful to hear! Kate's really one of those artists whose work is like a world unto itself; once you find your own little pathway into it, it just sort of opens itself up to you and becomes this fascinating place to explore.

If you're not a fan of the video for TMWTCIHE, you might want to try watching the 1979 Xmas Special performance of the song instead. I love the studio recording of the song, but in terms of a visual representation of it, I've always preferred this performance to the music video myself.

Beautiful. Thank you! Now that I've broken through the barrier I'm able to deal with her quirky videos. I just didn't get it before.

I also discovered her live performance of Breathing. Wow!

So far, I've listened to Hounds of Love and Never For Ever, as well as some random songs on Youtube. So if anyone has suggestions on where to go next I'd love to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adirondak View Post
    So far, I've listened to Hounds of Love and Never For Ever, as well as some random songs on Youtube. So if anyone has suggestions on where to go next I'd love to hear it.
    The best test for that is Hounds of Love. If you enjoyed the first half most, then your next logical step would be The Sensual World, but if you preferred the second half, it's time for The Dreaming. Just my 2 cents, of course.

I often forget that I used to think Kate was a sort of mad joke act, until I heard Running Up That Hill and it completely drew me in. Her music is oddly elusive. I still find that songs I never much cared for will suddenly click with me and I never know what has brought about the change. Then there's the fact that I'm still hearing new things in songs I've loved for decades - it's happening again with the remasters. I don't have the musical knowledge to describe it but, there are certain notes she hits on the piano in Night of The Swallow that I'd never noticed until the other day, after I hate to think how many years of the song being a firm favourite, and they're just ravishing.

Wow, that performance of Breathing is moving. I actually hadn't heard it before so thanks for sharing.

As to where to go next, you might want to give the debut album The Kick Inside a listen. It'll probably be pretty remarkable to you how much she changed from then to HOL (or even to NFE) if nothing else.

Other than that, I think that BrotherNamedErised's suggestions of either The Sensual World or (if you're feeling adventurous) The Dreaming are good as well.

There are almost zero live performances after the Tour of Life and a handful of lip synced TV appearances, but this one-off version of Running Up That Hill with David Gilmour from 1987 is still one of my favorite live performances by anyone.

It’s clear that she’s painfully shy and doesn’t really want to be there, and yet she still pulls out an essentially flawless performance of that song. I really wish she’d toured in the late 80s.

Her live performances are so good I wish there was a whole treasure trove to discover. That one is awesome though, and Pink Floyd is probably my favorite band ever, so seeing Gilmour together with her is pretty great.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I still can't really believe Before the Dawn happened sometimes.

Listened to The Dreaming yesterday and wow, what a masterpiece.

I think that the disappointment over her decision not to release a Before the Dawn DVD has sort of obscured recognition of just how brilliantly it works as a live album.

I wasn't able to see the original performance in 2014, but I can sit down and listen to all 2.5 hours of the album in a single sitting without my attention ever flagging. That's a feat I can't even manage with some of her much shorter recent studio albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddles View Post
    I think that the disappointment over her decision not to release a Before the Dawn DVD has sort of obscured recognition of just how brilliantly it works as a live album.
    Yeah, the album did get overlooked a bit and it's a real shame. Some of those tracks are even better than the already brilliant studio versions - Joanni, King Of The Mountain, And Dream Of Sheep, Among Angels ...

I was watching a documentary about the British playwright James Graham the other night and he said he was working on a musical with a "pop star" he wasn't allowed to name. There have been whisperings of Kate doing a musical so it did make me wonder. The "pop star" description seems too slight for Kate but Graham is a real theatrical heavyweight at the moment, so I doubt he would be working with anyone cheap and nasty ...

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
    Yeah, the album did get overlooked a bit and it's a real shame. Some of those tracks are even better than the already brilliant studio versions - Joanni, King Of The Mountain, And Dream Of Sheep, Among Angels ...

I was watching a documentary about the British playwright James Graham the other night and he said he was working on a musical with a "pop star" he wasn't allowed to name. There have been whisperings of Kate doing a musical so it did make me wonder. The "pop star" description seems too slight for Kate but Graham is a real theatrical heavyweight at the moment, so I doubt he would be working with anyone cheap and nasty ...
    I didn't know there was a live album. Listening now! I listened to almost all of her discography now. I love Kick Inside, Never For Ever, The Dreaming, Hounds of Love. Next tier would probably be Aerial and 50 Words for Snow. I didn't really enjoy Lionheart, Sensual World, or The Red Shoes except for a couple of tracks.

I almost wish I was back where I was a couple weeks ago when I didn't know her music just so I could discover it for the first time again. I don't think I've felt so excited and intrigued digging through a discography since I was a teenager.
    Last edited by Adirondak; 02-18-2019 at 06:50 PM.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Oh man, I am so excited for you! I vividly remember the first time I explored her albums. At the time, I had only heard The Red Shoes and The Whole Story. That was all I had for a few years. Then I found the original forums, found Kate Fans, helped start the first Kate sub-forum, and shared in the excitement of discovering her music with everyone there. (Rachel )

It sounds like you have a pretty good ranking going on, which bodes well for your love of Before the Dawn!

Not only is the music amazing, but there are just so many moments of touching pathos on Before the Dawn - you can feel the love both for her and from her, and the "specialness" of the experience for all involved. I definitely consider it one of the highlights of her career.

Not even the bit about sausages can significantly detract from that.