Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A message about Unforumzed

Icon15 A message about Unforumzed

It has been a long nine years since migrating here from @forumz. The internet has changed. The way we communicate online has changed. Social media has rendered forums mostly a thing of the past. Most of the members who started here in the days of The Dent have grown up and moved on.

And so we must move on, too. I have decided that unforumzed will close on June 12, 2020. I am not sure if it will be archived after that point — it really depends on pricing and hosting.

I was happy to step up in June 2010 and save @forumz from abruptly vanishing, and it’s been an entertaining ride with all of you for the past twenty years. I hope if you haven’t logged in for a while you’ll consider dropping by to say hello and goodbye.

I haven't been a terribly active member--and I was not at all a member of @forumz--but I am deeply saddened by this announcement. At the same time, I fully understand your decision. Thank you, Ryan, ebby et al, for creating this space for us--and to all of you, for contributing all these years.
    Last edited by Nora; 07-21-2019 at 09:03 PM.

I understand that nothing lasts forever, but this is very sad news. Nothing else has quite filled the niche that this forum serves. Thank you for everything you've done to keep things afloat over the years!
    Last edited by Andyland; 07-21-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Oh hi! Long time no see.

I just saw the news on FB and wanted to pop in and say how much @ and unf meant to me.
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

I've met so many amazing friends bc of this place. Thanks to all that helped with the upkeep through the many years!

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Been dreading this day would come, but I guess it has been hanging over our heads like the sword of Damocles. But hey, we still have a year left to enjoy it, so that's good.
    Unf probably has been the most stable factor in my life for those past 9 years - I checked this place more than any other site.
    Thanks for everything!

This place helped expand my musical horizons so much, that specifically happened for me through Unf (never on @). I still don't use any other place to get suggestions, I still detest Facebook, the radio and Spotify with great intensity.
    More than anything, I'll miss miss MISS interacting with the people here. Terrorist attacks, mental breakdowns or simply good times, there has always been someone around to interact with.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    I login everyday Ryan. Everyday! I literally can't imagine life without this place. No NEVAR FORGET REDUX? No obsessing over Tori set lists? No more Crispy movie reviews?

Oh my heart, my heart....
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Hey all

Sad news indeed but understandable. I haven't been on here in years, as Ryan said - social media has changed that as well as many of my interests. @ and Unf have been a huge part of my life these past almost 20 years. Made some great friends both online and in real life as the years plunked on. If for whatever reason you'd like to stay connected to me on FB, IG... just send me a PM

Thank you so much for all you've done to support this fan community over the years, Ryan!

Thank you for everything, Ryan.

Sad sad sad; nothing quite fills this niche, and I'll miss discovering new artists on the OMA forum most of all. But very grateful for the extended time we had and looking forward to the next year. Here's hoping a Tori album comes out before June so we can do one more round of all that nonsense!

She has a plan for that. Steve SFM's Avatar
    You wanna know the last time I discovered a great new musical artist through this place? YESTERDAY.

Beyond that, what everyone else has said, including Ryan. Ryan, we all owe you so much. This news is sad, but also completely understandable. Which makes it less sad, I suppose.

Right now, I mainly feel grateful. In part, because we still have a lot of time left! Whee!
    And it's going to be how do we think government should work and who do we think government should work for?

I started posting here when I was 15 years old. I'm 31 now. I was a closeted gay kid in a small down, and @forumz was the first place I even met other LGBT people. I'll never forget the people here, both past and present. I'm still close with many people I met here first, and I miss a lot of the ones who migrated away, or in some sad cases passed away.

So many of the artists I love are ones I discovered here first - St. Vincent, Over The Rhine, Kate Bush, Neko Case, to name a few.

My love for Tori Amos wouldn't be the same without this place. The deep dives into lyrics, commiserating about bad musical directions, live show freakouts - there is something to learn from the way the fandom evolved. It's special. I'm with @Nick, one last album era would be the perfect way to say goodbye to this place.

@Ryan, thanks for creating a second home post @. I know you dealt with a lot, but I hope in the end you felt it was worth it.

I'm not on Facebook anymore, but if anyone is interested in keeping in touch, private message me and we can figure out best way.

We'll see how brave you are. Bluebell's Avatar
    Just popping in to say thank you, Ryan, and to everyone else who kept this place afloat.

I’ve been on @/unf since 2004, and while I haven’t posted in a while, I’ve still been lurking.

I literally met my spouse (Sara/siren11) on this site. We’ve been together for 10 years as of next week and married for almost 7. I’ve met countless friends here, and I remember that I turned to ya’ll for support when I came out to my parents all those years ago. This forum has meant a lot to me and it’s helped shaped who I am today. I’m feeling a lot of things this evening!

I'm going to miss this place a lot. Facebook, Spotify, etc are just not the same. There's very few places online where you can find thoughtful discussions about music. I'm always fascinated by other people's reviews, impressions and interpretations. You can read some comments on Facebook or Youtube, but it's mostly just "Omg! This new song is so good! Love it!" It would be one thing if this was the only forum going down, but atease also died recently and The Annexe never really took off. I can't help but feel like these are dark times to be a music fan.

Can anything be done to switch management and ownership to another individual or party? It seems a shame to just move on from a place so many of us call home.