Page 72 of 75 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1111

Thread: The big unforumzed TRAVEL thread.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Last minute decision at work last week to send me to Manila for three weeks - so I'm heading over there on Saturday. Mostly will be working there, and won't get to see much other than the Metro Manila area - but hopefully I get to explore while I'm there!

Anyone been to the Philippines? Any tips / stuff I should know?

Don't do any drugs!

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Last minute decision at work last week to send me to Manila for three weeks - so I'm heading over there on Saturday. Mostly will be working there, and won't get to see much other than the Metro Manila area - but hopefully I get to explore while I'm there!

Anyone been to the Philippines? Any tips / stuff I should know?
    Not been there myself, but two (seperate) people I know just returned from the Philipines and are FULL of stories, but none so spectacular as swimming with whale sharks. If you've got an entire day off, consider a daytrip swimming with whale sharks in Donsol Bay, according to Lonely Planet this is one of the best places in the world for it.
    https://www.lonelyplanet.com/travel-...2-1479d277a6ca
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Greece or Italy for a holiday, someone pick. (Can't decide.)

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar
    That's a tough one. Depends what you want to do...beach holiday or hike/culture? I always wanted to visit Sicily as I heard many wonderful things about it from friends/family.

I don't think I would have been any help, but if you asked my father he would tell you that Croatia is better because it feels like Italy without the Italians.

Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    Greece or Italy for a holiday, someone pick. (Can't decide.)
    Italy... I always found Greece (the bits I've seen) too dry and barren. Italy has more charm imo.
    Cinque Terre is lovely! Close to Pisa.
    (and Croatia is indeed nice, check out Pula)
    post28!

All I know is that I don't want to do anything in a city. I live in one, and while "nature" is a half an hour drive from me, but I want to see the wilds of another country. It's between Greece/Italy because they're both/still new to us, so they were picked.

Funnily enough my other half has added Croatia to the list too, will give it a look now.

Yo Soignee. Will you be with a car. In that case I would recommend Tuscany, you can enjoy the vast rustic wilds, and occasionally make a daytrip to some smaller tourist sites. Even Pisa won't give you a city feel, as it is relatively small and the tower itself is on the edge of town. I do not recommend Greece, as things to see (also nature stuff) are often really far apart (impractical). Only place you need to steer clear off in that case is Firenze.

We can probably hire a car, I assume it'll be in budget too. Tuscany appeals mostly due to the food/booze. <.<

My fav place to actually stay the night there was Volterra; it felt middle-of-nowhere-ish enough on a hilltop with breathtaking views, but very agreeable as a town, too; the food was good and around every corner was some Roman or Ertruscian leftover. Touristy stuff like Pisa, Lucca, Siena and San Gimignano wasn't that far away (10-30kms I think?), and also, the Mediterranean sea was sort of within reach. After one night there, I spontaneously decided to stay there for a while.

Heading to Germany (Munich, Berlin, and Dresden) and Iceland in a few weeks for an end of summer trip. Anything we definitely have to see or do?

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    We can probably hire a car, I assume it'll be in budget too. Tuscany appeals mostly due to the food/booze. <.<
    Heh, if you come down to southern Tuscany (Siena/Arezzo) I can give you some advice about stuff to see. I'm from northern Italy and imho the Val d'Orcia (Pienza, San Quirico, Bagno Vignoni, Montalcino and such) is one of my favourite places here. Some parts of it are just enchanting. But yeah Montepulciano is still the best town ever

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    My fav place to actually stay the night there was Volterra; it felt middle-of-nowhere-ish enough on a hilltop with breathtaking views, but very agreeable as a town, too; the food was good and around every corner was some Roman or Ertruscian leftover. Touristy stuff like Pisa, Lucca, Siena and San Gimignano wasn't that far away (10-30kms I think?), and also, the Mediterranean sea was sort of within reach. After one night there, I spontaneously decided to stay there for a while.
    Volterra is very very pretty and I also like how kinda isolated it is. San Gimignano on the other hand is way way too touristic for my taste. Really amazing to see from a distance, with all those towers, but once you get there it's all shops for tourists.
    I've lived in Siena for 4 years and I think it's really beautiful if you avoid the locals, because they're widely known as some of the most unwelcoming people in Tuscany, and I know it by experience. But Piazza del Campo and the interiors of the Town Hall are something unique in the world.
    Pisa is quite lame besides the leaning tower, I didn't like it much. Among the ones I've visited it's my least favorite tuscan city along with Grosseto and Florence (sorry I really don't like Florence) Lucca is just super pretty I also really like Pistoia.
    Last edited by Bloody Grace; 07-28-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

Aside from the spectacular typical Lucca-Pisan architecture (making it easily one of the most important places in the world artwise), Pisa is a very vibrant modern city, boomfull of students. I really enjoyed emerging in it, but understand it is not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by thestrand View Post
    Heading to Germany (Munich, Berlin, and Dresden) and Iceland in a few weeks for an end of summer trip. Anything we definitely have to see or do?
    Munich
    - Deutsche Museum is a must if you're into science and technology. If you have an entire day, go to every floor. Otherwise just pick a couple of floors.
    - Viktualienmarkt. Outdoor market with good food, good beer and lots of cool local crafts to buy or just look at. We usually go here for a late lunch and a little bit of shopping.
    - BMW Museum. I avoided this on our first few trips because I'm not a gearhead. We finally went on my husband's insistence and HOLY SHIT. Every single display is an incredible piece of art. I couldn't get enough. It's big, but I feel like we were in and out relatively quickly. Maybe 2 hours, depending on how much you want to gawk.
    - If you're looking for a good biergarten, skip Hofbrauhaus (my German mother's assessment: "It smells like beer burps in there.") and instead go Augustinerbräu. The main one is near Marienplatz. It's our favorite and we usually go there several times while we're in Munich.
    - Nymphenburg Palace. I highly recommend this. The sheer scale is mind-blowing, though if you've already been to a lot of palaces in Germany/France/Austria, you could skip it. You'd need several hours to get through it, but it could definitely be a half-day sightseeing venture as opposed to a full day.
    asamkirche This is a small church in the middle of the shopping district. It's free (ignore the people selling tickets and whatnot - you don't need to pay to go in). You'll only need about 30 minutes in here. It's tiny and it will legit blow your mind. I don't even know how to describe it.
    -Englischer Garten If you're there for a few days, definitely check this out. It's huge and there's a lot to see, so I think you'd have to pick a section as opposed to trying to see the whole thing.
    -Museum Brandhorst Modern art museum with a good collection and fantastic exhibits. It's smaller than the other art museums so easier to squeeze in with other sightseeing.
    - Skip Olympic Park. There's really not much to see and it's out of the way from everything else. Major disappointment.
    - Skip Residenz. It was kind of meh, and that was even before we went to Nymphenburg.

Quote Originally Posted by thestrand View Post
    Never been to Germany, but in Iceland:

*Blue Lagoon. Yes, it's for tourist, bla bla bla. Whatever. It's amazing.
    *Landmanalaugar. Do the trekking path and then spend the rest of the day in the termal lagoon.
    *The golden circle, obviously.
    *Vik beach. You're going on summer, so there are puffins and that's great.

And go to the record stores. Doesn't matter if you buy anything or not (if you do, buy Mammút's albums), but the places are so cozy and they feel like home.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.