Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ane Brun

Oooh just had an email saying my It All Starts With One CD has been dispatched. Excited!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

I tried to hold off the leak until I could get this in full quality, but I couldn't Such a beautiful album. The strings and percussion/timpani work brilliantly with her voice. When I complained that I was concerned about the lack of percussion on Night Of Hunters, the instrumentation on this album is exactly what I had in mind. Still going to wait for the bonus tracks, though!

Wow, so I hope the Deluxe Version is considered the "full" album, and not just a bonus, because Another World deserves to be on the album proper. What a stunning song and what amazing production; really the production across the board is breathtaking - her voice just floats on these songs. There's a lot to take in, but I'm in love with this album.

My copy of It All Starts With One has just dropped through my letter box! Just about to go out for pizza lunch with friends but will be listening as soon as I get home!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

On my second listen. So much beauty on these discs. Agree with Nick and Dreams of Owls about I Would Hurt A Fly and Another World. The former in particular is a stand out track for me so far as is the title track.

I can see this making my 2011 top five easily.

Can't wait to see Ane in November. It's a small venue too and I should be able to get there early and get really close. Excited!

Du grter s store tra is just gorgeous. This album is definitely working it's way up my 2011 albums chart.

“It All Starts With One” – UK Release & Reviews!

“It All Starts With One” will be released in the UK on Monday 24th of October and the first set of album reviews has just arrived, here’s some quotes:

“Ane Brun’s delicate, tremendous voice reveals shared intimacies with a rare poise.”
    4/5 – The Independent

“Brilliant fourth album. Sounds like a masterpiece”
    4/5 – The Mirror

“Truly beautiful, her songs stir the soul and leave behind a lasting impression.
    9/10” – Press Association
    “This is flawless Autumnal listening”
    5/5 – All Gigs

“This album is for people who aren’t afraid to experience a little emotionally intense with dark shades coloured in with charcoal. Brun has created something that answers some questions music never tends to ask and can emphasise the uncomfortable ideas and expressions we may harbour, but with such unequivocal beauty.!”
    5/5– Leeds Music Scene

“After exposure to It All Starts With One, it’s clear Ane Brun is brimful of life.” 4/5– The Arts Desk

“a blissfully gorgeous album – one that showcases Ane Brun as being at the forefront of the new wave of Scandinavian pop music.”
    4/5 – Music OMH

“..A lush, beautifully arranged leap forward…Majestic”
    –Music Week

Nice pull quotes; I'll have to read some of the full reviews. This is still easily in my Top 5 for the year... where oh where will it land...

Here's the Indie review.

Album: Ane Brun, It All Starts with One (Balloon Ranger)
    Norwegian singer Ane Brun's quietly involving music occupies a spectral space in which her delicate, tremulous voice reveals shared intimacies with a rare poise.

The arrangements are kept almost naked – just a line of acoustic guitar, stalking piano or brooding organ, caressed here and there with strings, vibes, and subtle hints of distant percussion – so as not to intrude on the mood. Her duet with Jose Gonzalez on "Worship" is an exemplary union of forces. Most of her songs deal with the conflicts between solitude and relationships, with unusual imagery: in "These Days", she recalls how, "like an animal, you coiled your darkness around me", while "The Light from One" brings a new approach to the theme of unrequited love, Brun explaining she's giving up carrying a torch for someone else, in order to more capably carry her own.
    It will be in my top 5 too. Decemberists and Gillian Welch still looking like sharing joint #1.

Icon15

Indie Music Blog: Ane Brun interview
    Scandinavian music has set some high standards but right now Norway’s Ane Brun is head and shoulders above the rest. Music writer Chris Parkin spoke to her.

Ane Brun’s latest (fifth) album, It All Starts With One, is the most heart-melting album we’ve heard all year. Sparse arrangements and Ane’s wintry, crystal-clear voice make for a stark, beautiful album that features collaborations with José González, First Aid Kit, Bjorn (of Peter Bjorn and John) and members of Loney Dear and Lykke Li’s bands.

This Norwegian, raised in the tiny city of Molde, also supported Peter Gabriel on his New Blood tour recently. The project saw Gabriel reimagining a clutch of his old songs and both live and on the accompanying album, Ane was asked to take the part of Kate Bush on Don’t Give Up. No small acknowledgement of the lady’s talent.

We asked Ane a few questions about her new album…

How was it supporting Peter Gabriel?
    It was an amazing adventure, getting to be a part of such a large production, and travelling around Europe and the US with Peter has been a very rewarding experience for me.

He said recently that you sound a little like Dolly Parton, who he originally wrote Don’t Give Up for. Do you hear that?
    I do admire Dolly Parton. She’s an amazing songwriter. I’ve listened to quite a lot of Americana and US folk and I think it’s detectable on my earlier records. And some of my favorite artists are Gillian Welch, Joanna Newsom and Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy, who are part of that alternative US folk scene.

There’s a song on the album called One that’s inspired by the Arab Spring. Is this an optimistic album?
    I wouldn’t try to convince people it’s optimistic. It’s up to the listener to experience whatever feeling it evokes. But One is a song about how one individual’s strength and courage can become thousands of people’s courage, as long as someone makes the first move. Even in my darkest musical moments, my songs always have a bright note to them. Like: ‘Yes, it’s dark now, but I’ll turn this around somehow’.

You lived in Barcelona for a while. Are you inspired by the drama of Mediterranean music?
    That year I spent in Spain in my early 20s was very important to me. The experience of working there, getting to know the people, busking in the streets. I’ve listened to flamenco, fado and South American folk since I was a teenager, so I guess some of that has entered my music.

What are your biggest non-musical inspirations?
    Relationships – both my own and of those around me. Human mechanisms. Existentialism.

What records have inspired you?
    In my early teens, my favourites were Eurythmics, Neneh Cherry, Prince, Madonna, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Jan Johansson, Aretha Franklin and Ella Fitzgerald. After I turned 14 or 15, my tastes became more elaborate. One album that was important to me becoming a guitarist and a singer was Dilate by Ani Difranco. Her guitar playing and lyrics inspired me, and also her having her own record company and not compromising her beliefs.

What were you listening to while making this album?
    I went to a lot of classical concerts. Sometimes it’s better to listen to something different to what I do. It opens my mind and brings new ideas. There was one particular show especially, where they played Stravinsky’s Symphony of the Psalms.

As well as the Arab Spring influence on this album, you led a campaign to raise awareness of climate change in 2009. Are you a political songwriter?
    I wouldn’t dare to call myself a political artist. There are others who deserve that label more than me. But I’ve become more politically active in the last few years. There was a point when I turned my frustrations and observations into action, and not just words and thoughts. I had a wake up call about the state of the planet a few years ago, and this lead to the concerts, No More Lullabies.

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    I've had this album in my media player for a little while now and never properly listened to it until last night. Wow. It's going to be high on my AOTY list, for sure.

Great review of It All Starts With One in FFS.

Album | Ane Brun – It All Starts With One
    Despite putting out five studio albums, working with the likes of Peter Gabriel and Ron Sexsmith and receiving two Norwegian Grammys, Ane Brun (real name Ane Brunvoll) has flown under the UK radar for some time. This might all be about to change with It All Starts With One, a multi-layered, evocative master-work of heart-wrenching gorgeousness.

The beauty of the album lies in its ambiguity and refusal to categorise life experiences into such banal binaries as ‘good ‘ and ‘bad’. This is apparent from the first track, ‘These Days’, which could be about the maturation of love, or the tragedy of passion gone stale – “You spelled your name in charcoal all over my body/But these days, I just walk with you”.

Equally compelling is that this is not a straightforward folk album. On ‘Worship’, Brun warbles like an American country and blues singer from the 1930s, while ‘Do You Remember’ is driven by a tribal drum beat and backing chorus. With her rich, unique vocal soaring and echoing over the top, Brun has produced a rather unlikely folk/tribal fusion. Meanwhile, ‘One’ has all the theatricality of a classic musical number, all ironic strings, dramatic cymbals, cheeky Spanish interlude and a jaunty yet somehow menacing music-hall piano riff.

It All Stars With One achieves the impressive feat of appearing highly complex and incredibly simple at the same time. Brun frequently references the orchestral touches, emotive piano and vocal flourishes of Tori Amos, particularly on ‘What’s Happening with You and Him’, but the most dramatic moments are to be found in the quiet parts, such as in ‘Light From One’, with its particularly Amos-esque piano refrain coupled with some jazz-by-night muted cymbals.

Given the musical accomplishment of this album and the depth and breadth of Brun’s body of work, it really is remarkable that she isn’t better known over here. It’s about time the UK woke up and worshipped this Norwegian queen.
    She's still not getting enough attention over here.

I've got a spare ticket for Ane's gig at Scala in London on Friday if anyone is interested.

A few videos from the Ane Brun gig.

I'll post the setlist and a few photos once I've sorted them out.

I am super jealous; did you enjoy it? I LOVE the double drum set up; I've seen Nina Kinert use that a few times. Must check if any US dates are up yet....