View Poll Results: Which of these two is your favorite?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Boys for Pele

66 55.00%
  • from the choirgirl hotel

54 45.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boys for Pele vs. from the choirgirl hotel

Boys for Pele vs. from the choirgirl hotel

I haven't seen these two duke it out on a forum in some time. I'm really curious about the results too, because the last two times I saw these two albums compete in a major poll, ftch won the first and then BfP one the second.

My answer is obvious Now you.
    Last edited by Fast Horse; 09-08-2010 at 02:21 AM.

Boys For Pele for me
    i love them both so much , but i love every tracks on BFP . There's 1 or 2 tracks on FTCH that i like but i could do without

From the Choirgirl Hotel

I think Pele is the better written of the two albums - but I think literally every song on Pele pales in comparison to live renditions - something I can't say for Choirgirl.

It's never been a contest for me - BfP, she was writing from her heart and out of some deep cathartic need. Even the arrangements were inspired and unique in an authentic way because they were borne of real strife and artistry. Choirgirl feels like a forced follow-up, with forced mechanics, forced sounds, forced songwriting, and definitely (worst of all) forced art. It's just not on the same artistic level at all and never has been for me.

Pele was sloppy and messy and genuine and Choirgirl always felt inaccessible and emotionally stale. Where is the sentiment behind the songs on Choirgirl? It's all vague. She was seeking more singles it seems.

Choirgirl.

Pele was (and still is) nice during some harder periods of life, but Choirgirl is always there. It's always good, and it's always fine, and it's always gorgeous. Choirgirl is so... alive, to me.

PS: Saying that Choirgirl has no sentiment and is forced is an absolute SIN.

Pele

Choirgirl.
    Best.
    Album.
    Ever.
    By ANY artist.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Pele and Choirgirl duke it out for the top spot on my list, and they always will. Today, i'm going with Pele.

Choirgirl All The Way

Choirgirl has too many of my all-time favorites. SW is my favorite but I also just could not be alive anymore if I couldn't listen to Cruel, Black Dove, Playboy Mommy, Spark or Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Adirondak View Post
    From the Choirgirl Hotel

I think Pele is the better written of the two albums - but I think literally every song on Pele pales in comparison to live renditions - something I can't say for Choirgirl.
    Very good Point. Tori knocks every Pele song out of the park live, even ones I hate on the album (Little Amsterdam, Voodoo). Where as FTCH is, in general, excellent on the album the whole way through (and in fact a few songs are just okay live, such as Hotel).
    Last edited by SageBrushFire; 09-08-2010 at 05:30 AM.

Tori Amos from the choirgirl hotel

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    Boys for Pele.

Tricky to say exactly why. I hardly feel like picking fault with Choirgirl which is an amazing album and should've had far more commercial success.

[Ponders]

OK I'll split hairs because it's fascinating (to me). IMO Choirgirl does have sonic variety, but less than Pele. The band sound was new and wonderful but features on every track.

I miss strident acoustic keyboard centred music when I listen to FTCH all the way through, whereas I never yearn for a band groove while listening to Pele.

I particularly miss the bass-end of the piano, which we only get to glimpse in Liquid Diamonds, a fantastic track but one I hugely prefer live solo - it was a highlight of the TBK tour.

Actually, while live Pele songs are always great plugged or unplugged, I prefer the album versions of them all, while preferring live versions of most of the Choirgirl songs (except Spark & Hotel which are unbetterably perfect on the record). But that's more to do with my "every note is sacred" approach to BFP (& LE) than the intrinsic qualities of the records!

Choirgirl. It's perfect from the first to the last sound.

They're both fantastic albums, but I've always felt more of a connection to Pele. I think it's possibly because it was the last album that felt like it was really driven by the piano (or harpsichord), whereas from Choirgirl onwards it started to feel kind of like Tori was following the band's lead.

Ha! Its split 50/50
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill